Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know whats the actual sizes of the gen-1 zx-10 shims and if anyone has a lead on buying these shims in bulk, i would appreciate any help... like a hot cams kits.. i cheched there but they seem to have anything for the ten..
thanks in advance
jay
new zx10 owner

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Im wondering what your going to do? Now if your going to check your shims on 1 or possibly 2 bikes then i personally wouldn't buy a shim kit, your always left many odd sizes that realistically your never going to use. The hot cam kits come in various groups of sizes so really your going to need too check your shims first then wait for the kit. & that is it personally id check your shims and buy them individually from Kwaker:wink2: yes there individually more expensive. Hot cams only come in 0.05 sizes Kwaker sizes are 0.01 so you can be more accurate with your sizing. Answering your size question there 7.48mm Diameter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im wondering what your going to do? Now if your going to check your shims on 1 or possibly 2 bikes then i personally wouldn't buy a shim kit, your always left many odd sizes that realistically your never going to use. The hot cam kits come in various groups of sizes so really your going to need too check your shims first then wait for the kit. & that is it personally id check your shims and buy them individually from Kwaker:wink2: yes there individually more expensive. Hot cams only come in 0.05 sizes Kwaker sizes are 0.01 so you can be more accurate with your sizing. Answering your size question there 7.48mm Diameter.
Thank you fellas, and thank u for chiming in so quickly.. i spent the night reading many forum conversations on the shim subject.. and i guess the purpose for buying the kit was for me to be able to designate these shims with the rest of the bike parts i end up having for the 10r.
so now that i know the exact size 7.48 and thats confirmed{thank u Michael} i'm going to pull my cam and chain and measure the shims that are out spec 2or3 and i'm just going to build my own kit and so thank u BOTTOMS UP. thats the kind of lead i was looking for...now i just need to find a compartment type case and order the sizes i need only, plus extras and i think get multiples of smaller sizes only.. i dont know? or maybe ill just get a couple sizes over and a couple sizes under.. i know whatever i replace , i can reuse, just remeasure..
anyway thanks again guys..it def helped..:nerd:
this isnt my first shim job and i have to say: this bike was easily the hardest to access.. so while i'm in there i'm planning to do a whole bunch of stuff at once.. filters,plugs, recommended replacement parts in the manual, anything cracked. so you may see more of my posts... ty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts