Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just preparing myself for my first oil change and I was wondering what the best/recommended oil is for the 14 ZX10R.
Times have changed and I imagine so has the oil.

This will be my first oil change on the 10r so just wanna make sure I start compiling info now in order to do my research.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
BTW, this is THE most controversial topic. Not the exhaust thread you started yesterday. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The POS Mobile app will not allow me to search the thread for previously discussed topics.
I've selected full-site from the mobile app 3 xtimes this morning and after typing my responses and replies and hit send it takes me back the friggin mobile app and deletes my responses...

Sorry for the repeat question.

You're a moderator... delete the thread. I'm back on my desktop now.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
The POS Mobile app will not allow me to search the thread for previously discussed topics.
I've selected full-site from the mobile app 3 xtimes this morning and after typing my responses and replies and hit send it takes me back the friggin mobile app and deletes my responses...

Sorry for the repeat question.

You're a moderator... delete the thread. I'm back on my desktop now.
Nope, not deleting the thread. I'm saving a link to it for the next ding-dong that posts an oil thread next week. :crackup:

:eek:ccasion1

·
Chairman of the Board
16,004 Posts
Nope, not deleting the thread. I'm saving a link to it for the next ding-dong that posts an oil thread next week. :crackup:

:eek:ccasion1
Your on a roll man! That's the second time this week you've put on the floor laughing.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
True, but I've heard guys at the race track (MSR) swear by using Rotella. I just smh and keep moving.
Really? If you're here starting an oil thread because you're not sure what to use, how can you possibly know enough to shake your head at the racers at your track??? Why do you shake your head? Sounds like they know what they're talking about and you dont...

BTW, I've been using Rotella The for the last 7 or 8 years, in every bike I've had...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because I know NOTHING about Rotella other than the industry in which it was originally designed for, heavy equipment. Until I joined the race scene the only use for rotella that I had heard of was heavy machinery. Never used it therefore I don't have an opinion. I go with what I know and I've always used Amsoil.
Now that I am educated (somewhat) on Rotella, I now know that they make other oil outside of the heavy machinery industry.

When I first heard someone say they were using Rotella I thought they were just screwing with me. Then when I found out they weren't I thought there was some ingredient inside the Heavy Equipment oil that didn't cause clutches to slip etc. Never really cared because rotella never really was a concern, I always used Amsoil.
About 2 years into racing it finally came up that a friend's whole endurance team was using which led me to ask them to educate me on the stuff and BOOM here I am...The oil genius! :headshake:

Really? If you're here starting an oil thread because you're not sure what to use, how can you possibly know enough to shake your head at the racers at your track??? Why do you shake your head? Sounds like they know what they're talking about and you dont...

BTW, I've been using Rotella The for the last 7 or 8 years, in every bike I've had...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And as far as being "sure of what to use"...I'm sure ill be going back to Amsoil if there's no magical snake oil that has been produced in the past 3-5 years that I'm unaware of. Which was my question. I guess I could have stated it differently, "in the past 3-5 years has there been any ground-breaking oil that has swept the market and total set the stage for other oil manufacturers that I should be aware of?"

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Ok fair enough, thanks for the explanation :)

I've known plenty of people to use Rotella without a complaint or problem. $20/gallon VS $15/quart. ..I've also used the other brands such as amsoil and I couldn't justify the expense (I'm married with kids lol)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At that price, I think I'll switch as well. I ran Amsoil in my bikes when I had no kids. Now I have 2. I still run it in my vehicles because they sit in the garage and don't ever get driven, so I don't want build-up or sludge.
Yea...I'll probably look into the Rotella route. Being in Yuma and San Diego all the time (Yuma is a HUGE agriculture town) I can probably find it for cheap. I know enough people in the Ag industry that should get discounts on oil.

I'll look into this...

Ok fair enough, thanks for the explanation :)

I've known plenty of people to use Rotella without a complaint or problem. $20/gallon VS $15/quart. ..I've also used the other brands such as amsoil and I couldn't justify the expense (I'm married with kids lol)

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I rarely street ride anymore but here's a list of what I've used in what i used it in. I have never noticed much of a difference if any. 2008 zx10r royal purple and motul 300V. Clutch feel seemed a little better with the 300V but nothing to lose your shit over. 05 zx6r motul 300V. If it aint broke dont fix it. 13 YZ 85 motard race bike, motul transoil and transoil expert both 10/30 and 10/40 Transmission only its a 2 stroke. Rotella which i believe is for diesels in a buddy's 08 ninja 250r race bike over the weekend. Diesel oil I'm guessing should be fine in wet clutch motorcycles as I've been told they both dont have friction modifiers.

All in all they're all good. My closest racing friend has tried many different oils in bike and have never had a complain with motul products just different weighes producing different results.

Even in cars as long as its a tier 1 company and not some recycled oil it's fine. It's not some magic fluid that is so radically different from all the others. It's all marketing for the most part.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you.

I stopped riding on the street as well while I was racing. I just lost the thrill and it became more of a hassle than fun on the street.
I was in FL at the time and I found myself really pushing the limits on the street as if I were on a closed course. I stepped back and realized..I either need to get back on the track or get off the street, because what I'm looking for cannot be found on the street. I wanted that racing feeling again. I stepped out of the scene for a couple years, sold the bike and now I snagged another 1000. I haven't had that racing sensation in a while so riding on the street has regain some points. But I do feel that itch sometimes and GOD it makes me miss racing....... Maybe one day, again. :helmet:

I rarely street ride anymore but here's a list of what I've used in what i used it in. I have never noticed much of a difference if any. 2008 zx10r royal purple and motul 300V. Clutch feel seemed a little better with the 300V but nothing to lose your shit over. 05 zx6r motul 300V. If it aint broke dont fix it. 13 YZ 85 motard race bike, motul transoil and transoil expert both 10/30 and 10/40 Transmission only its a 2 stroke. Rotella which i believe is for diesels in a buddy's 08 ninja 250r race bike over the weekend. Diesel oil I'm guessing should be fine in wet clutch motorcycles as I've been told they both dont have friction modifiers.

All in all they're all good. My closest racing friend has tried many different oils in bike and have never had a complain with motul products just different weighes producing different results.

Even in cars as long as its a tier 1 company and not some recycled oil it's fine. It's not some magic fluid that is so radically different from all the others. It's all marketing for the most part.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts