Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search button sucks... No luck there. I have an 08 w 4300k and going to buy some oil and a filter today. Been running Castrol semi synthetic 10W40 and a K&N filter but no one has in stock. I can get Kawasaki oil for $7. per quart and a Kawi filter for like $9. I don't think its semi synthetic though. Is it any good? Is it okay to make the change? Also everyone I talk to down here says to stay away from full synthetic. Any suggestions?? I know its a beaten topic probably but figured I'd ask the experts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There is no best oil to use.

I prefer to just buy the cheap Honda oil 10w40 and change it every 1000 miles.

...And yes you can switch oils.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rotella is the best!!!!!! Thats what I write in ALL these oil threads!!! Come on Den you should know better to search for something like this
Search engine was down or something? I ended up going with Amsoil full synthetic. $9. a quart. Didn't sound too bad.:dontknow:

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Changeing is not a big deal...BUT i suyggest you dont do it all one time unless the engine has low miles..
Rather stick with full syn,who ever told you synthetic is not good..Askem what drug plan they are on cause its the wrong one..
Just remember no CAR oil...most times but not all there are additives in there that will make the clutch slip..

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Search engine was down or something? I ended up going with Amsoil full synthetic. $9. a quart. Didn't sound too bad.:dontknow:
I was going to try AMSOIL, but none of the local "sale it out of their garage" dealers would return my phone calls, so I just stuck with Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil, from Auto Zone.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to try AMSOIL, but none of the local "sale it out of their garage" dealers would return my phone calls, so I just stuck with Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil, from Auto Zone.
I've heard good things about Amsoil, and at 4300k I feel its ready for full synthetic. Ask 10 different techs and get 10 different answers about synthetic vs non.. Guess we'll see.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 (5w40) meets JASO MA and is currently the best bang for the buck that I know of.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I run Rotella T6..........................................In my diesel!:lol: I like it in the truck but havent ever tried it in the 10. My 10 only runs Motul 300v these days.
motul 300v is the best oil money can buy hands down!i put over 500 passes at the strip last year on a engine and the bearings were still in good shape.i would never use anything else unless your doing new engine break in

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
motul 300v is the best oil money can buy hands down!i put over 500 passes at the strip last year on a engine and the bearings were still in good shape.i would never use anything else unless your doing new engine break in
That's why when people give me shit for spending $70 on 4 liters of oil, I just ask where I can buy a new motor for $70............

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

A perfect example why you are BANNED on this site...you can't do both acting like your helping out and a A-H*lo at the same time....at least not on my watch. :headshake:wink:

bloo

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
FYI, Motul 300V appears to be not good at resisting foaming. If you have an engine that wants to whip air into the oil (and gearboxes are pretty good at that) it might not be the best choice.

·
Registered
326 Posts
foaming? what is this foaming i am hearing about...btw i would choose either the amsoil or the motul...SCREW CHEAP OIL, if i had to choose between a reallly great dinner at a nice restaurant or even more delicious oil...i would go get a bean and cheese burrito at the taco shop and put a bib on my zx10r :lol:

but srsly foaming i have noticed lil airbubbles in my oil after i just ripped up some turnes but i dont think its foam.. :heyyou:

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have heard different things about when to run full synthetic. Ive heard i should wait till about 12,000k, because of the clutch.
nah its not gona hurt the clutch,help it last longer though imo.id wait till the bike had about 1,000 miles on it before i switched to full syn.im an oil freak,i drop my oil pan everytime i change oil just to clean the clutch matter out and look for bearing content.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts