Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a head and cams this winter but I don't know much about my options as far as which combo of head and cams make the best power. I'll be drag racing the bike mainly with a little bit of street riding.
What I was thinking about is an 08 head with 08 race cams. I've heard that combo makes decent power and I can get that for about $600-700. Are there any better options for $1000 or less? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
i would keep the gen1 head and spend the $$$ on gettin your head port/polish, milled, upgrade the retainers the stock ones are junk, thin hg and drop in 08 race intake cam. you'll see nice gain man without hurtin the wallet.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I wouldnt bother swapping heads, just do the 08 race intake, stock exhaust, bump that compression up and you will be set. I have my buddys 04 zx10 with full akro making 177hp on pump gas :) decent for a stock bore bike!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
deck the stock head, 08 race cam, extended rev limit set at 13.5k and tune, don't port or polish anything, stock head is big enough from the factory lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, cool. I've never priced having a head decked or anything like that. What does that usually cost?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
keep the gen 1 head, use the .045-.050 hg only, where ever u have to find it. u need to tighten quench up to .026-.028, it's important. deck .015-.020 i pay $40 for decking. good cnc full radius vj with increase power 3-4% thru increased flow and the ports can easily be improved. if u want a decent running bike, do the 08 race cam, settle for what hg is easily availabe, leave the head alone. for your stated purpose, set the quench tight, deck .020, match int. manifolds, match valve seat inserts to port, clean up, bowl port, and retexture ports, cnc vj. this is the diff. between decent and fast, within your 1k budget, if u can reassemble. lmk if i can help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man. I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff with bikes. Which would be better? .015" or .020" with a .045" hg? And what about springs and retainers, and cam gears? Excuse my ignorance but I'm gunna need to be spoon fed here. LoL!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Thanks man. I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff with bikes. Which would be better? .015" or .020" with a .045" hg? And what about springs and retainers, and cam gears? Excuse my ignorance but I'm gunna need to be spoon fed here. LoL!
Gazx10 is bad about metric and standard systems. he probably meant .45 or .50mm head gasket. Stock cam gears are fine and can be flipped and degreed that way. Stock springs should be good with 08 race cam, but I'd replace the retainers with factory ones ( 04-06 had bad batch retainers that liked to crack and drop valves). You or your builder would have to measure the quench, also measure ptv clearance while you're at it, set your intake cam around 107 or so and go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts