Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my rear tire on my 08 zx10, due to it getting a hole(with only 900) miles on the bike. Anyways, the manual says to torque it at 80ft-lbs of torque, but I didn't have a torque wrench. So when I bolted the tire back on I just did it to what "felt" right as compared to how hard it was to take off. Then I went to Checker and used their torque wrench, but when it was on the 80ft-lb setting, it just clicked and didn't tighten so obviously i have done it higher than 80ft-lb. I'm not sure how tight I did it, but I do know that you can still tighten the bolt with a 12 inch breaker bar with not a whole lot of pressure. So my question is... How pressing is it to get the rear wheel bolted on at 80ft-lbs? If I am over at 85-95 am I going to need to worry about bending the two sides of my swing-arm in? Thanks for any reply's and help.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
No it will be ok as long as you didn't really superman it. You are sure that the torque wrench you used is in foot pound and not inch pounds right.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
The swingarm won't bend because of the spacers on each side of the rim and the rim itself being there. i personaly just tighten my rear axle nut until the rear rim is sung in place. probably under 80ft lbs but i've just always done that and have never had any issues. i'm sure though that if you over or under tighten the axle nut then you may run the risk a damaging or causing damage to the rear rim and/or rear wheel bearings but i would doubt that you could overtighten to the point where you actually bent the swingarm.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,396 Posts
The swingarm won't bend because of the spacers on each side of the rim and the rim itself being there. i personaly just tighten my rear axle nut until the rear rim is sung in place. probably under 80ft lbs but i've just always done that and have never had any issues. i'm sure though that if you over or under tighten the axle nut then you may run the risk a damaging or causing damage to the rear rim and/or rear wheel bearings but i would doubt that you could overtighten to the point where you actually bent the swingarm.
:+1: If you read the manual, it also states that if the castellated nut doesn't line up over the hole for the cotter pin, then you're supposed to continue tightening it until it does. 80ft-lbs is probably ideal, but you're really not going to hurt anything a few pounds more.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you over tighten usually you damage the bearings or the bearing spacer(in between both bearings center of wheel).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well i've blowned a few berings by torquing the rear to spec. They say 110nm, i dont go above 80. Got tired of changing berings every 1500km lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts