Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went on deployment and I haven't been to the track in more than a year. I have been tempted to bump down to the Beginner for my first track day back. Any advice for someone who is rusty? I don't feel comfortable like I used to on my bike. The bike has been completely redone too so that's not going to help. I still have to set-up my suspension.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,059 Posts
You should probably sell it and get yourself a used 600cc bike. At this point, the literbike is just too much let alone taking it to the track.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,059 Posts
^^^^^:lol:

Just kidding! Yeah, I see nothing wrong with building yourself and skillz back up slowly to the point you're comfortable. Slow and steady wins the race!

Thanks for your service and glad to have ya back! :ayyy:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man, I just installed traction control so I have little more room for safety. Going to do the winter blast in NCBIKE in Feb and then first official trackday March 21st.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts
^^^^^:lol:

Just kidding! Yeah, I see nothing wrong with building yourself and skillz back up slowly to the point you're comfortable. Slow and steady wins the race!

Thanks for your service and glad to have ya back! :ayyy:
Agreed. Nothing wrong at all with bumping down to novice. Ride at your pace. Get back acclimated to the bike and the track. Have fun. As SkyDork said thanks for serving!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think it's kind of like riding a bicycle. You might get rusty after not doing it for a long period of time, but it doesn't take long to build your confidence level back up.

If you aren't totally comfortable, by all means go ahead and start in the novice group. Perhaps if your confidence level builds quickly (like I think it will), they'll let you bump into intermediate at lunch time or something.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Although I haven't did any track days yet, I feel where you're coming from. If I haven't ridden in a while I definitely take it easy until I feel comfortable with just "Going Hard in The Paint" lol.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You'll be comfortable after 2 sessions, and starting to re-push your new limits by the afternoon if that makes any sense to you ;)

4x deployments here!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I agree drop to novice the STT 1,2 novice groups are running close to advanced pace after lunch.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
So I went on deployment and I haven't been to the track in more than a year. I have been tempted to bump down to the Beginner for my first track day back. Any advice for someone who is rusty? I don't feel comfortable like I used to on my bike. The bike has been completely redone too so that's not going to help. I still have to set-up my suspension.
I always do the the "slow" sessions these days, not because I'm slow but because I have more control. It's safer for me to overtake other riders than to worry about the nut job out of control with something to prove.

It also forces me to warm up and get the track layout in my head, no matter how many times I've ridden a particular track.

I can run in the fast group and have done for years but these days you get quite a few guys in the fast and especially the middle group who are just not quite up to the task. Most of the crashes I'm seeing are in the middle group.

It's the same racetrack no matter what group you are in.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would like to get out of the intermediate group into the fast group. It does get interesting sometimes.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would like to get out of the intermediate group into the fast group. It does get interesting sometimes.
Yep, you are better off in either the fast group or the slow group. The intermediate group has a lot of guys who really should still be running in the slow group but are too proud to admit it, and they also tend to be aggressive without much skill. This group is where most of the crashes take place in my experience.

I would rather be in the fast group with both inside/outside passing and just run it like a race practice, just be mindful that guys may be wanting to get by and leave enough room for faster riders.

Of course there is no guarantee either way but being smart about it helps.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just want to start passing on the inside. If you watch my video I pass on the inside because the guys turns in too early and I have no choice. Mostly turn 5.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just want to start passing on the inside. If you watch my video I pass on the inside because the guys turns in too early and I have no choice. Mostly turn 5.
I'm sure others will pound this into your head as well, but just be 100% sure you're making a safe pass on the inside. Worst thing in the world when someone goes in too hot and lowsides into another bike..

·
Registered
694 Posts
Work on passing outside. When your doing it , it mean you could inside him very easily.. But to make someone inside safely you have to be prepare 2-3 curve before to have the right position

1 - 20 of 30 Posts