Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopefully about to throw my wheels in the shop for some powdercoating and since I have to remove the bearings, I was wondering if it would be beneficial at all to get new ones or any kind of aftermarket ones? There's some small talk around my place about them but I don't know what kind of difference it would make on something with this much power. I used to ride BMX and it definitely made a difference on those bikes... :bitchslap lol

Also, thinking about painting my bike after I do some body work (a buddy just laid my bike down in gravel, minor scratches and crack in tail...) What do you all think about a really dark gunmetal color with red rims!? and red accents, rear sets, levers, etc.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
GEN II Driver
2,886 Posts
you should definitely put new bearings in. stockers are fine unless you want to spend crazy money on ceramics.

gunmetal and red sounds pretty cool.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I just purchased some low resistance bearings (6004vv) from bearing works and will see if i can notice the difference like alot of people have said about them. They were 85.00 for the whole set shipped to my door.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just purchased some low resistance bearings (6004vv) from bearing works and will see if i can notice the difference like alot of people have said about them. They were 85.00 for the whole set shipped to my door.
Cool, just let me know. I probably won't work on the wheels for a few weeks anyways. What is the shipping time on those bad boys?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Cool, just let me know. I probably won't work on the wheels for a few weeks anyways. What is the shipping time on those bad boys?
If in stock which im sure they will be.... Probably looking at 4 days or so... No worries about the shipping time. Hell the powder coaters have had my rims for over 2 weeks now! Slow bastards.:headshake

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Just so ya know ...

Those bearings are standardized precision deep-groove ball bearings (that's what the proper terminology is), and you can get them at any industrial supply place locally; just give them the 4-digit number from the side of the old bearing and state what type of seals you want. Code "VV" means non-contact rubber seals, code "ZZ" means shielded. Code "DD" means standard contact-type rubber seals, which have slightly more friction but give better resistance against water and dust.

The only diff between the stock bearings and the ones you can get at an industrial supply place is that in some cases the stock ones only have seals on one side. Having seals on both sides won't hurt a thing and the overall dimensions of the bearing are the same.

There are some tolerance-class options for this type of bearing, but as far as I can tell, as long as you don't get heavy preload (tightest fit, but will shorten life) or loose fit (= too sloppy) it will be fine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just so ya know ...

Those bearings are standardized precision deep-groove ball bearings (that's what the proper terminology is), and you can get them at any industrial supply place locally; just give them the 4-digit number from the side of the old bearing and state what type of seals you want. Code "VV" means non-contact rubber seals, code "ZZ" means shielded. Code "DD" means standard contact-type rubber seals, which have slightly more friction but give better resistance against water and dust.

The only diff between the stock bearings and the ones you can get at an industrial supply place is that in some cases the stock ones only have seals on one side. Having seals on both sides won't hurt a thing and the overall dimensions of the bearing are the same.

There are some tolerance-class options for this type of bearing, but as far as I can tell, as long as you don't get heavy preload (tightest fit, but will shorten life) or loose fit (= too sloppy) it will be fine.
So what exactly should I ask for and at what store? I got a quote for $15 a wheel from that site.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Look up "bearings" in your local yellow pages and find any industrial supply place.

Take the old bearings out and bring them with you to that place, and say you want bearings like these but "non-contact rubber seals". They should know what to do. If you want to phone them instead, have the bearing numbers (like "6004somethingorother") in front of you and tell them the same thing. Those four digits like "6004" or "6302" or whatever, and the type of seals, are all the bearing supply place needs. Those four digits uniquely identify the type and size of bearing. They are industry standard.

If you got a quote for $15 "a wheel" - not per bearing - that is really good, but the diff is that at the local bearing house, they'll probably have them in stock, so no waiting for mail order.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Just in the interest of full disclosure:

"6xxx" indicates a deep groove ball bearing

The last 2 digits x 5 works for "xx04" and bigger, the exceptions are: xx03 = 17mm
xx02 = 15mm
xx01 = 12mm
xx00 = 10mm and this is the smallest in this series of bearings.

The 2nd digit indicates the cross section of the bearing, which dictates the outside diameter and width, but unfortunately aside from the general trend, there is no formula - you have to get out the bearing catalog.

So, a 6004 is a deep groove ball bearing, standard cross-section, 20mm nominal inside diameter. Suffixes after that indicate the type of seals and other options.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My engine buider put ceramic main bearings in the S&s harley engine . With no pistons just the rods sticking out of the cases we could push the rods lightly and the crank would spin freeley. Maybe 5 -6 complere revolutions with just a little push . You have to be thier to appriciate it. But I was amazed with how well it worked . Normal bearing with same force wouldnt make a whole revolution .

·
Registered
890 Posts
Magic whats the differance between the hybrid and a full ceramic bearing ? Is the race ceramic or the bearings themselves ?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Majic if we cant get Buell to make us a set or 2 of carbon fiber wheels in the ZTL braking rotor style ( we have already bought the ceramic rotors in the ZTL style brakes ( fantastic!!! unbelivable stopping power ) we will et either the BST carbon wheels , brembo calioers . Or the Dymag 3 spoke carbon wheels , brembo calipers ..... How do you like the BST wheels ? If I knew i couldnt get the carbon fiber wheels in bueel style wheels i wold have went with a yamaha fron end to begin with and then Sitcom cramic brakes .. they cost 4000$ . But brake BETER as they get hoter and can stoop a train lol. With great feel to boot !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts