Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the F%^& do you get the seals out these swingarms guys.... Mines been apart for weeks now and Im having no luck neither is the cycle shops, my next stop is a machine shop or buy another one.... :dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
How in the F%^& do you get the seals out these swingarms guys.... Mines been apart for weeks now and Im having no luck neither is the cycle shops, my next stop is a machine shop or buy another one.... :dontknow::dontknow:
WOW.. I have only done one swingarm bearing swap.. and it was a SOB and PITA all at the sametime. I ended up destroying the plastic inner cage and carefully ground down the outer bearing shell thin enough to be able to collapse the sides of the bearing housing. Then I still had to use a thin punch from the other side to tap it out.
Sorry.. I don't have any pictures available.

·
Registered
700 Posts
On the seals just pry them out and replace them. There cheap.

On the bearings heat the swing arm with a propane torch and they come out a lot easier.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I worded that wrong not the rubber seal but the steel ring that the needles bearings lay in will not come out..

On the seals just pry them out and replace them. There cheap.

On the bearings heat the swing arm with a propane torch and they come out a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Maybe I worded that wrong not the rubber seal but the steel ring that the needles bearings lay in will not come out..
I knew what you meant when you said it was a SOB and couldn't get them to move..:mrgreen:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Sounds lame, but what I did was just leave the races in and swapped the needle bearings one at a time, if you use alot of bearing grease it will keep the needles in alignment and you can install them one at a time, I know PITA, but it worked perfect. Once they are all in and greased up good you can reinstall the the sleeve and the bearings have no where to go.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Let me ask is it the main bearings or the ones where the dog bones bolt to. the small ones i use a blind bearing puller to get them out. You use one on the big ones to but i just take one side out and find a socket that fits in there with a BFH and some heat you can tap them right out. The first one is the hardest though. That i did was take a piece of hardened steel drill rod and grind a flat on one side but leave a tab at the bottom. so i can slide it through the bearing on one side and it will grab behind the bearing on the other side and i work my way around. if it wont budge get the arm hot with a torch and they will about fall out. Use a 5lb sledge and they will come out. But 1 or 2 in 10 the sleeve gets dented and you haft to replace anyway.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Main bearings the small ones came right out the big ones ain't moving period tried everything just about I'm gonna throw it on my oven and see what I get

1 - 9 of 9 Posts