Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you venture into their territory you might want to follow this advice.

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry pepper spray just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the bear's face will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings are much larger and tend to contain small bells and smell like pepper.

:crackup:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hilarious.

I had a black bear sow come into my driveway one evening about 4 years ago while I was sitting on the couch watching TV.
She was about 350 pounds, about 10 feet away from me with nothing between her and me but a sliding glass door.

Freaky.

I didn't live way out in the woods, then, either. This was in the middle of town.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
gpz1100 said:
When you venture into their territory you might want to follow this advice.

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry pepper spray just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the bear's face will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings are much larger and tend to contain small bells and smell like pepper.

:crackup:
Now that there is funny, I don't care who ya are!!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
LOL, thats funny

We have a picture from 1996 when I was younger it was around 9:30 at night my dog was barkin in the kitchen. I went to open the door and right before i did i caught a movement outa my eye. There was a sow right on the other side of the sliding glass door about 8 inches away. It startled me and I backed up to the counter and thats where the camera was. When I took the picture the sow was about 6 feet away getting ready to grab our garbage can and run. That made my heart rate speed up a little

1 - 6 of 6 Posts