Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

BAZZAZ or PC V or neither?!?!?!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  xcrypto 
#1 ·
Ok, I have had a slip on (M4 Street Slayer) and BMC filter on my bike for some time now and the bike runs really well. My only complaint is the popping on decel. I added block off plates and they helped a little but the popping is still very noticable. I was thinking of getting either a PC V or BAZZAZ Zfi. They are both reasonably priced at around $270. My question is do I really need either? Is the popping going to be detrimental to the bike in the long run. I already have 35000 miles on my 08 ZX10R and that's including a 1 year deployment to the sand box and like I said, other than the popping, the bike runs like a champ. I was just curious as to my fellow members opinions. A few more questions. Which one is better, BAZZAZ or PC V? Or is it just personal preference. Can I just get a map from the manufacturer or should I go to my local shop, put it on their Dyno, and have them give me a custom map which would be another $250? My last question is how much performance am I going to gain if I do install one of these units? Thanks in advance your all your recommendations and opinions.

#2 ·
my 2 cents worth...........

1. - No, the poppping will have no affect on the bike as its only unburnt fuel combusting in the exhaust. As you have already blocked off the recirc, this is usually a sign of over fuelling which brings me on to.....
2. - If you want to achieve a smoother power curve and as much power as possible you will need to have some means of managing the fuelling. Because you have made changes to the induction and extraction system (filter and pipe) I would recommend gettting either a PC or Bazzaz. I have only ever used a PCIII so I'm not versed on the Bazzaz and PC V but looking at reviews people are divided on opinion.
3. - If you want to achieve maximum results, the best (by far) is a custom map. There are some really good generic manufacturer maps but they are quite conservative.
4. - As for performance, the mods you have will not give you a huge "BHP" increase figure, but a properly mapped bike will usually feel more powerful and be much more rewarding to ride!

Lastly, it may not be possible to eradicate the popping totally. All race bikes pop and bang, thats the nature of trying to shove as much fuel in as possible to get as much power out as you can!

My ZX6R race bike used to blown 8" flames out the pipe on rapid downshifts!

Johnny.

#3 ·
working for a tuner i can tell you right now, you need a power commander, not a bazazz, and a custom dyno tune, not one off the internet. pc>baz for many reasons, custom map>internet map for many reasons. if you want to know more pm me and i'll explain why what i said is true.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Johnnyflash, very sound advice. Nakedinseattle, I will pm you.

#5 ·
For just a slipon both the PC-V and the bazzaz are equally good. I'd get a PC-V & autotune and tune it myself. You can feel the difference right away...

I'm using a bazzaz and a Z-AFM on mine,the bazzaz software is not so user friendly that's why I also recommend PC-V & autotune...

#7 · (Edited)
i guess i should post that pm here too..oh and ecsiders, yeah baz gets all 8, pc 4, however, read below, it doesnt matter, although some people swear by it, out of thousands of tunes, pc is the easiest to use and gets the best results

"well, here we go...

power commander is better for the simple reason that you can get a much better tune from it than the baz. the pc has a much higher tuning resolution, meaning, you can tune at more rpm increments and more throttle percentages across the entire power band. so, the goal of tuning is, to get the air fuel ratio to as close to 13.2-13.4:1 as possible. with the power commander you're able to adjust the fuel at more precise places across the board, getting you a more complete tune, this means a smoother tune with better throttle response. the end result of a better tune is the engine is running more efficiently, which results in more horsepower and torque. the baz unit is not a bad fuel controller, by any means, it is good. but the power commander is just better.

the reason you want a custom map is, each bike is different. you need to a custom tune to smooth out the power curve. if you have anything done to the bike as well you'll need it to make the adjustments for it, such as air filter/exhaust etc. two identical bikes will make the same power after a tune yet can have two completely different fuel maps.

the nice thing about a power commander, is you can get an ignition module, which tunes the spark perfectly, which basically is about as good as your bike can get."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.