Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it generaly o.k to reuse the base gasket when replacing the headgasket? do you need to use a special ring compressor when you pull the cylinders off or do you just work the cylinders over the rings?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
do not reuse and replace it with a kawasaki gasket and not something like a Cometic gasket. Don't ask why I know.........

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
since when do ZX10's have a base gasket? Last I checked the cylinder and case were all one piece.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sorry I was specificly speaking about the head gasket. Maybe I should read before spouting off.

To be honest, I am unsure what you mean by base gasket?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the gasket where the cylinders and the motor cases meet. on the 636's the cylinders and head are seperate.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, you can reuse it. Clean it very well, and surfaces, and coat with very thin layer of RTV. Or copper coat spray, Gaskacinch. Some folks use spray paint, but I'm not brave enough. You can also leave it out for a bit more compression, if you have the clearance.

The rings can be worked in to the cylinders with patience and a blunt edge, wood or plastic. Be careful that the oil rings are butted before they go in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts