Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last thursday I went on the Barry Sheene memorial ride.There was 833 bikes registed to the event.We left from Bairnesdale (about 300kms from Melbourne) at 10a.m. stopped at Morwell for lunch 12p.m. to 1p.m. Then we stopped at San Remo at 3.30p.m. or so. Then went onto Phillip Island at 4p.m. and did a controlled lap of the race track.I live about an hour from the track and I was home at 6.30p.m. The line of bikes (2 bikes side by side in 1 lane) was 15 kms long at different stages I heard on the news.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
So did you end up going to the race on Sunday? Thankfully we had beautiful weather, probably why there was so many people. Had a brilliant day down there, but the only bad point of the day was spending so long to just get out of the car park and onto the road. We had to sit still for about 20 minutes with the engine turned off so it didn't overheat. Once everyone got going you had to keep your wits about you with so many bikes and cars all around you. Once we got onto the South Eastern it was like a free-for-all. I think everyone in the cars was just hoping not to get hit by a bike flying past. I hooked onto a group of 4 riders who were not slowing for anything. Was a real rush. There was no way a copper could ever pull us over, but you have to be bloody careful doing those speeds past all those cars.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
:eek:ccasion1 Looks like ya'll had a great time. Plenty of bikes :eyecrazy: and good pics :thumbsup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RoninZX-10R said:
So did you end up going to the race on Sunday? Thankfully we had beautiful weather, probably why there was so many people. Had a brilliant day down there, but the only bad point of the day was spending so long to just get out of the car park and onto the road. We had to sit still for about 20 minutes with the engine turned off so it didn't overheat. Once everyone got going you had to keep your wits about you with so many bikes and cars all around you. Once we got onto the South Eastern it was like a free-for-all. I think everyone in the cars was just hoping not to get hit by a bike flying past. I hooked onto a group of 4 riders who were not slowing for anything. Was a real rush. There was no way a copper could ever pull us over, but you have to be bloody careful doing those speeds past all those cars.
No I went on Saturday because its so busy on Sundays and I can see alot more on T.V.
I went to the botanical gardens in the city for a picnic with my wife and son on Sunday,no crowds there.
Sounds like you had a great time. :thumbsup:
I am always worried riding with people I dont know because they can be so unpredictable :eyecrazy: and I value myself too much.Whenever someboby tried to latch on I just gave it a squirt and moved ahead.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, you gotta be pretty careful and watching everything that is happening around you when there's so many bikes and cars. It would have been great if they told all the cars to stay in one lane so the bikes could use the other lane without getting blocked in. I can honestly say that by the time I got home I was absolutely knackered from having to concentrate so hard on keeping my distance from everyone around. I was in bed asleep by about 9pm, next doors kids were up later than me!
The main reason I love going to the races is because of the sound of those 4 strokes, but you definitely get a better view from your tv.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I didn't make it down this year but have done a couple of rides from Brisbane down for the race, the number of bikes on the road on the Monday after is insane. I headed out toward Lakes Entrance from the Island last year and joined on a group who were flying for a police heavy road. There would have been a couple of hundred bikes easy heading out that way it was a great ride, Wish I'd done it this year but work got in the way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts