Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '12 is a track only bike and has been getting harder and harder to start. Today it was really bad and barely started despite installing a fully charged battery. The charging system is working normally (14v at idle) so no issues there. The starter sounds like its wheezing and and draws a LOT of current when turning over. Then, every once in a while it will kick over like nothing is wrong. I'm pretty sure its the starter but would like to confirm before buying one, is there any way to tell for sure?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
yes, pull the starter and remove the driven end housing cap. hold the geared armature shaft in place while slipping end cap off so u dont pull armature out of the carbon armature brushes. pita to put back first time. if strong acrid burnt wire smell present u can trash it. all have a light odor, but burned windings are strong. have 3 busa motors here now for big bore/high compression builds. they have weak starter motors and always present starting problems modified. some simple mods to these starters makes a profound difference in starting. may work for u. get back with us.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
first just buy a new battery. Get the shorai with their charger. If you bought it new doubt the starter is messed up but the oem battery is the first suspect regardless of your normal reading.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A new battery was installed. Check out the pics, I'm no starter expert but pretty sure its fucked. There are magnets in the housing and one of them is split in half and the armature is dirty and discolored.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
2013 zx10r starter motor on ebay, tested good. $65 tyd. ur starter pretty much a freak, would not hesitate to buy good used for $$$.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that, despite what he says the housing is different than what I have. Possibly the internals could be installed in my housing though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one you have pictured is for a Gen4 2013, so it should be the same as yours?
The starter I posed pics of came out of my GenIV '12, as you can see the mounting points are totally different that those of the black starter in your pics. In any case, I just ordered a new one from Ron Ayers and got it for $400 delivered. Sucks but the bike has been flawless since buying it new so I can't complain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts