Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new zx10 with 280 miles on it has a occasional backfire when I let off the gas.. Is this normal? I just put a Yoshi 3/4 exhaust on it, not sure if that has anything to do with it? If anyone has any thoughts or know why its doing this let me know. thanks

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
prob the yosh. I bought the graves slip after talking to graves tech. He said I do NOT need the pc, but it will have a mild pop. He was right. It runs a bit rich without pc adjustment, but runs great. Rarely pops, or if it does, I don't notice it anymore.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,357 Posts
Yes, its typical for aftermarket, low restrictive exhausts. Nothing to be concerned about, but can be helped with Bgmagma's suggestion of the block-off plates.

PS - Technically speaking, it's an "afterfire". A backfire is what happens when the flame front goes back up through the throttlebodies due to an intake valve not properly closed. These are rare. An afterfire happens when unburnt fuel in the exhaust reignites and makes a popping noise along with the flame out the tailpipe.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
You can plug the hose to your airbox, or buy Ivan's block off plate kit. It's worth it for what you get. Other kits just come with plates. This comes with plates, a rubber plug for the airbox, and a jumped wire connector so you don't throw an FI code when removing the factory connector.

I installed the block off kit because the afterfire was getting pretty annoying and caused a bit of distraction. Cleaned my air filter and did the wire mod as well while I was in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I figured it had something to do with the new pipe. I'll get a block off kit for it.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Do the wire mod while your in there, really helps with the fuel cut.
Just did the wire mod, and I am very happy with the bike now. I have block off plates in there and it was still backfiring, but after the wire mod it feels great and there is no more backfiring on decel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts