Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Went cruising through the mountains this weekend after a few mods. I am getting a loud POP at closed throttle around 3-2k.

I am trying to find the correct tune on the power commander. Should I add or subtract fuel during these conditions? Or does this just mean I have an exhaust leak?

Recent mods are removed secondaries, gutted cats, power commander (half assed mapped, comparing maps from setups with secondaries removed and installed, and then adjusted the base map accordingly).

Anyone got a AEM wideband for sale?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
a simple thing to try is at 0% throttle put a "-10" in place of the 0's at the rpms its doing, if that doesnt cure it try adding fuel but mostly subtracting fuel does the trick!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My bike does this too, all the time, at 3500 with closed throttle. Sometimes its a little pop, sometimes its more like a shotgun. Is this likely to cause any issues to the bike.
Bike has Akra full system, K&N and has been customed mapped.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I chased this issue on my '05, and the best solution was to close off the air injection system. The air injection on the 04/05 causes most of the backfiring.

This link has some info and another link to the install
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62031

·
Registered
81 Posts
I chased this issue on my '05, and the best solution was to close off the air injection system. The air injection on the 04/05 causes most of the backfiring.

This link has some info and another link to the install
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62031

Thanks Larry, but lets just pretend for a second that i dont understand what thats about. Is it likely to do any harm to my bike if I don't do anything about it?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not sure, I would think that the backfire is in the exhaust system and not in the carb, so it is not much to worry about, but I am not a motor guy. I chimed in because the backfiring drove me crazy. I tried exhaust, pC III, Custom map, and each helped a little, but The backfiring did not go away until I installed the blockoff plates and ditched the air injection servo.

Kind of a bummer because it was the cheapest mod I did. If I had known the blockoff plates would eliminate the backfiring I would probably not have aftermarket exhaust or the PC......

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I don't think the tune is off. Went +10 and -10 on the pc. Is there actually any advantage to removing the air injection system. I have seen the block offs. But unless you made the areas that you are blocking off smooth (internally where air is going to be pulled into the motor) I wouldn't think there would be much of a gain.

On a lighter note it is nice to have some fireworks every once in a while. But it does get annoying when you are stuck behind grand pa in the mountains.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
To my knowledge no performance gain is to be had with the block offs. They just eliminate the backfiring.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have encountered exactly the same problem this week, obviously it's cos i installed Akra slip-on, K&N filter & PC3usb, all in same day this week.
I rang the technical guys at dynojet uk, the answer i was told "is very simple, just reduce zero throttle position fuel map by 10% all the way through the rev range."
I havnt done it cos i was too slow to ask ; Does -1 =-1%, ergo does +5 =+5% etc. Any1 know how or what is the correct way to reduce by 10% all the way through the zero throttle part of the map all through the rev range ?
Thx in advance.
Ergo

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have encountered exactly the same problem this week, obviously it's cos i installed Akra slip-on, K&N filter & PC3usb, all in same day this week.
I rang the technical guys at dynojet uk, the answer i was told "is very simple, just reduce zero throttle position fuel map by 10% all the way through the rev range."
I havnt done it cos i was too slow to ask ; Does -1 =-1%, ergo does +5 =+5% etc. Any1 know how or what is the correct way to reduce by 10% all the way through the zero throttle part of the map all through the rev range ?
Thx in advance.
Ergo
in the map change it from 0 to -10

i actually ran +5 on 0% throttle cause i was afraid of burning up a valve lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got an 07 10R with PCIII and custom map, BMC race filter, Ivan's blockoff plates, decat midpipe, and carbon Akrapovic pipes, mine always backfires with the baffles out, but never with them in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have got the same prob with my bike and im going to try the blockoff plates and hope it works. I think that there is more worng with my bike though. I started the bike and i smell antifrezze and i started a oil leak. but this mod seems to be easy and fast so i will give it a shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Me too, just plugged the air feed hose, done it on alot of different bikes, works great every time and cost nothing, thats nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts