Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i rode a stock 08 10R back in the states and given it is was not in an area to actually get a feeling about the bike, so was not that impressed.
Well yesterday up in the mountains i was out with a guy with an 09 10R and he was like it does not feel right and asked me to take it out for a spin.
SO i was like ok this will be a good back to back being we are riding the same road down the mountain.
will keep this down the mods that matter:
1st Gen:
suspension: traxxion fork cartrdige, ohlins damper and shock (with 3rd gen swingarm) CZ wheels. Attack triple tree's.
Brakes & drivetrain: Brembo 19x18 master, brembo HP calipers, -1/+1 gearing.

3rd Gen Bone stock:

Well the first thing is the 3rd gen feels like it sits higher for sure, but nothing drastic, overall felt about the same in the normal riding, but the bike feels more nimble right from the word go (bike had half a tank)
the brakes i must say feel like crap, needs some lines and different pads as the feedback & stopping power compared to the brembo is HUGE.
The suspension felt pretty good right out of the box and i was on it hard from the get go and knee down 1st set of curves it was that familiar.
the front feels way way stiffer and seems to not have the flex of the 04 forks..
the ass end feels about the same.
The motor spins up noticably faster as well, even in stock trim compared to my full system, custom mapped bike.
but i was pretty impressed with the bike and see why others have let go of even very well equipped 1st gen bikes...
Now if only it had good looks to go with the performance..

with equivilant mods, this bike would indeed be amazing...

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
yay the 3rd isnt getting bashed hahaa

great write up man...so when you planning getting rid of the dic and going with the 3rd gen 10r?:)

rep sent your way

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not looking to buy anything till 2011 after another tour down range, as i am selling the 1098 as well....But yeah i was really impressed with the bike...looking forward to riding it again as the owner had some serious chicken strips on it and well it does not anymore.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Not looking to buy anything till 2011 after another tour down range, as i am selling the 1098 as well....But yeah i was really impressed with the bike...looking forward to riding it again as the owner had some serious chicken strips on it and well it does not anymore.
guess your taking all the credit?? :lol::lol:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Now if only it had good looks to go with the performance..
It always falls back on how it looks LOL...Its easy to fix and all I have to say is compare it to any other liter class for 09 is looks much better!! Like honda and yamaha are prime examples...But NICE write up, I like how you gave a back to back comparisent cause most people in here haven't ever sat on one or the other but still bash it. I say thank you and to everyone it says kawasaki so get over the looks, if you don't like how it looks then go buy something else lol ahahha

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Having done a similar comparison with JD, I would agree with pretty much everything he said. The stock brakes, although not any worse than any of the other stock liter bikes, are a far cry from Brembos. I don't think I will ever own a bike without them.

I think part of the reason the gen 3 seems to rev a little quicker is because a few of the gears and the final drive is a lite shorter. I really felt that just the exhaust really woke things up. Prior to that I would say that I was a little dissapointed in my gen 3's engine performance. Looks are of course subjective and I for one have always liked it. No, not the mirrors or the headlights so much but I do like the angular compact look. It's not a beautiful shape like a 1098 or an MV but in my eyes I prefer it over all the other Japanese liters. The 10r in race trim is a beauty though.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Its just like any bike, get the right things for it and it will only improve the bike...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts