Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dam back tire only had 10 psi. I was doing an errand today and was going to ride a hour or so away to watch the AMA races after that, and some cager points at me. I didn't know what he was talking about but was only a block away from my destination. I figured I should check my bike out to see if there was something he saw. Yep..back tire almost flat...shoot...day ruined.

So, put the bike on the stand and put high pressure in there to see where the leak is and soap bubbles all around the tire...never found the leak. It's now been 4hrs since I put 45psi in the tire and pressure is holding, so maybe it's a slow leak.:dontknow:

Just venting as I missed the races today. Hope tomorrow is better.:mrgreen:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Salesguy10r said:
The air Gremlin. . . he occasionally steals my air too!!!
lol...kinda of pissed off..the plan was to watch the races live today since the races where not on TV and watch tomorrows races on TV...it didn't work out that way..:badteeth:

·
Banned
814 Posts
shitty.. i had to replace my rear tire, AGAIN. went with a full set of Pilot Powers in a 180/55 rear.

3 rear tires in 2500 miles.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Abortions Suck said:
shitty.. i had to replace my rear tire, AGAIN. went with a full set of Pilot Powers in a 180/55 rear.

3 rear tires in 2500 miles.
Know what you mean....I didn't really care for the tire just that I missed the races. My tire is almost shot in the middle because of drag racing so something that almost needs to be replaced anyway..although I would have liked to get a few more runs in before that.

If it's still holding PSI tomorrow and weather permiting then it might be on..:zx_blue:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
10psi?!? WTF, blue? Don't you check your tires b4 each ride? :eyecrazy: Glad nothing bad happened.

BTW, check the valve stem if you didn't. Slow leaks seem to come from there a lot, IME.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CanyonCarver said:
10psi?!? WTF, blue? Don't you check your tires b4 each ride? :eyecrazy: Glad nothing bad happened.

BTW, check the valve stem if you didn't. Slow leaks seem to come from there a lot, IME.

Yeah, your right..I should check it out each time and mad at myself that I missed that. I did notice a little something wrong in the steering..mind you this is all within a mile. The cager just helped me out.

but advise to all like CC said...check your stuff out. We all take it for granted that all is well...It only takes one time for a bad part to give you a bad time. :badteeth:

·
Registered
463 Posts
THat is one of the first things I check each and every time before I ride, is the tire pressure. I can tell when my tires are within about 5lbs out. It makes a huge difference in the curves and all out handling of the bike.

The other day I was riding with a good size group. We started up through the twisties and I wanted to stay at the back like I normally do, a kid in front of me was going awefully slow in the curves and wasn't really getting into the action so to speak so the closer I got to him I noticed both of his tires were damn near flat and he could hardly lean the bike at all in the curves without the bike swaying a bit. I made sure I stayed a good distance from him but close enough to keep an eye on him in case he lost it. We got to the bottom at a gas station and I immediately point out to him that his tires were very low on air and he began to tell me that he knew something just did'nt feel right when he was in the curves and thanks for telling him. fortunately there was a air machine at that stop and so I pulled out my trusty air guage that I bring on every ride for this one reason. He only had about 10lbs in front and about the same in the rear. So I ask him when the last time he checked his tires for air and he responded with "The last time it was checked was when i bought it" which was about 6 months ago....lol

To end this long story the point I am making is CHECK YOUR TIRES BEFORE EVERY RIDE AND CARRY A TIRE GAUGE WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
blue, this is happening to me in the roush's left rear tire, it'll hold 35psi all day long, but when you drive it'll drop to about 25psi and hold around there, can't figure it out, but when i go back the whole thing is coming apart, may have a small hole in the side wall

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RickRoush03 said:
blue, this is happening to me in the roush's left rear tire, it'll hold 35psi all day long, but when you drive it'll drop to about 25psi and hold around there, can't figure it out, but when i go back the whole thing is coming apart, may have a small hole in the side wall
I hear ya...I was also suspecting a side wall leak. I need to take it off the bike to be sure. Just tested right now and it's 8hrs later and still over 40lbs of pressure....so seems like a small leak f'sho...I'll check it out completely soon.:thumbsup:

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Are you sure you didnt forget to air it up after a day of drag racing?

Tread

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
bluedevil said:
My dam back tire only had 10 psi.
Im pretty lazy about this, so after reading your post I was like "I should go check"

10psi, 26 psi :eyecrazy:

I took a short little drive 13 miles to the next nearest gas station with a working pump.

Amazing how much better she rides......lol...and I was just about to post about the shitty gas mileage I was getting.

Im gonna have to get better about checking....

Thnks for the heads up !:thumbsup:

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Im quilty of not checkin my tires psi before each ride too....mainly because im "just going for a quick run to town and back" and i figure a visual check is good enough....chain tension doesnt get as much attention as it should either....but, from now on, Im gonna make myself do better...Thanks for the reminder Bloo D. :thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tread70 said:
Are you sure you didnt forget to air it up after a day of drag racing?

Tread
Tread, it’s possible but I doubt it. I usually only play with tire pressure on “test and tune” days and I usually fill back with Air when I get home. My last drag race was on “Wed. Night Drags” and haven’t done Test and Tune for awhile. The tire was still holding over 40psi this morning. :dontknow:

Well, wouldn’t you know it’s raining here so I missed the AMA races this year. :sad:

Glad a few of you guys checked out your tires. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
Im quilty of not checkin my tires psi before each ride too....mainly because im "just going for a quick run to town and back" and i figure a visual check is good enough....chain tension doesnt get as much attention as it should either....but, from now on, Im gonna make myself do better...Thanks for the reminder Bloo D. :thumbsup:
Motorcycle tires are little different than car tires, as they can look normal and be extremely low on air. Pushing in the middle of the tire tread can be a quick way to check but it is no where near as accurate as using a gauge.:badteeth:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
bluedevil said:
lol...kinda of pissed off..the plan was to watch the races live today since the races where not on TV and watch tomorrows races on TV...it didn't work out that way..:badteeth:
I was there yesterday blue and I have over 50 pictures I can send you if that helps.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
lol, nice rub in zx10x2. What pics do ya have? I wanna see

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Dragone said:
lol, nice rub in zx10x2. What pics do ya have? I wanna see
I was not rubbing it in. I just figured he may want to see pictures since he didnt make it.:headshake

Anyway...I have pictures of bikes that were on display, pictures of the race and pictures of me sitting on a ZX14. When I try to post pictures it says the file size is too large.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zx10x2 was not rubbing it in. He PMd me and ask the same...that was cool.

Hope who ever did make it down had a good time...I'll be there next year. :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts