Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit some 1/8 mi drag racing tonight guys. Lemme know what you think?

Best 3 Passes:
R/T: 0.798
60': 2.059
ET: 7.424
MPH: 105.88

R/T: 0.656
60': 2.197
ET: 7.561
MPH: 105.61

R/T: 0.754
60': 2.140
ET: 7.605
MPH: 101.57

Bike is SWB, unstrapped, stock height, PP 190/55/17 Rear Tire

Mods: Gen. 3 M4 exhaust, PCIII, BMC

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info about it,

This was my second time out to the strip with my 10 and third time ever. My biggest issue was trying to snag full throttle. I think I could really do well with a 1/5 turn insert though. What do you guys think?

And how much more time do you think is possible to shave from my 60ft without changing the bikes stace at all?

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
my bike ran 6.90s swb not lowered or strapped at 117mph, 2nd gen with 3rd gen head and .50 headgasket and everything pretty much stock. I am having the same problems as you, can't go wot in first gear but with a strap it ran 6.7 at 121, 60 went from 1.9 to 1.7 and can get even better if I can go wot.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
your MPH is WAY WAY to low. 101 is what my buddies 03 cbr600 runs

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
At this point you need to worry LESS about your 60ft and MORE on getting her to WOT quicker. Not discounting the fact that your 60ft has room for improvement but its not your biggest weakness right now. Start paying more attention to the 330 than the 60 for now.

Sure you can do the insert and it may make it easier since you will have less wrist movement. However, the fundamental problem can be fixed by choking up really high and concentrating more on getting her WOT. Sit on the bike, with it turned off and practice hitting WOT and letting out the clutch. Muscle memory.

When you're just starting out your'e worrying about so many different things and trying to do too many things right you end up doing all of them wrong. Another reason I would ignore your reaction times as well when just starting off. One less thing running through you're head.

Oh well, hope that helps. Have fun, keep practicing, and those times WILL drop.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this point you need to worry LESS about your 60ft and MORE on getting her to WOT quicker. Not discounting the fact that your 60ft has room for improvement but its not your biggest weakness right now. Start paying more attention to the 330 than the 60 for now.

Sure you can do the insert and it may make it easier since you will have less wrist movement. However, the fundamental problem can be fixed by choking up really high and concentrating more on getting her WOT. Sit on the bike, with it turned off and practice hitting WOT and letting out the clutch. Muscle memory.

When you're just starting out your'e worrying about so many different things and trying to do too many things right you end up doing all of them wrong. Another reason I would ignore your reaction times as well when just starting off. One less thing running through you're head.

Oh well, hope that helps. Have fun, keep practicing, and those times WILL drop.
I wish they gave the 330ft on it. That would help a lot actually. I know that was my biggest issue was getting to WOT. Ill give it a try. I dont get a lot of time on the strip is what sucks. Cant afford to keep going there and pay for tires being a college kid. I have a total of 12 runs on this bike over 2 sessions. My launch and R/T feels much stronger than the first time though, so definent improvement.

Any tips are very welcomed, as are comments about it. Anything I can take really. I know the MPH is low, I was doing 97-101 on my 05 ZX6R 2 years ago, but my time is much better.

What is choking higher up? I dont understand the meaning. Feel free to teach me anything drag related, please, I welcome any information.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What is choking higher up? I dont understand the meaning. Feel free to teach me anything drag related, please, I welcome any information.
Rotate your wrist upward before grasping the grip instead of trying to over-rotate your wrist downward.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool. Im going to give that a try and see what I can do. Hopefully that should make a difference.

When I launch, how soon should I have the clutch full engaged? And I should be WOT when I have the clutch fully engaged right?

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Very cool. Im going to give that a try and see what I can do. Hopefully that should make a difference.

When I launch, how soon should I have the clutch full engaged? And I should be WOT when I have the clutch fully engaged right?
Yes, you should be WOT when clutch is fully engaged. I have the clutch out completely right after I pass the tree, you may have to slide it longer. You need to feel out where to have it fully out... if you let it out too early it will bog down on you. If its not bogging down, then release sooner... if it is then release later. Find that sweet spot.

You may have wheelie issues though... you really should consider putting a strap on her. It will not affect your street riding since you can just loosen it up, but will allow you to launch much harder.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, you should be WOT when clutch is fully engaged. I have the clutch out completely right after I pass the tree, you may have to slide it longer. You need to feel out where to have it fully out... if you let it out too early it will bog down on you. If its not bogging down, then release sooner... if it is then release later. Find that sweet spot.

You may have wheelie issues though... you really should consider putting a strap on her. It will not affect your street riding since you can just loosen it up, but will allow you to launch much harder.
Stock gearing/height/length, wheelies are a lil issue lol. Was pulling power wheelies when I was getting to the top of 2nd. Ill definently give it a shot though and see what I can do. Im really excited because I feel like I improve leaps and bounds every time I go out. Next race here is in 12 days.

I wanna look into straps. I just gotta find a cheap method to do it is all cuz Im a broke college student who cant spend $100+ on just straps. Any ways you guys have done it?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
anytime unless your going to drag strip event for a Stock Wheel Base event no Lowering only(rare) then you need to do the basics....lower the bike and strap....now how much you need to lower maybe subjective but you should do all that first then practice practice practice....basically stock bikes don't show up to the Course Tracks lowered that would be a bad Idea and going to the drag strip should be the same bring the bike at least close to something that is drag strip ready. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I just need to pick up some straps and try it out. I would most likely be able to launch it harder. To lower the front, you need a frame neck stand right? Or is it possible to lower it with just a fork stand?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Agreed, there are a few basic mods that need to be done for drag racing. $100 may sound like alot for a strap, but once you see how well it works, you will realize its money well spent.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Yeah, I just need to pick up some straps and try it out. I would most likely be able to launch it harder. To lower the front, you need a frame neck stand right? Or is it possible to lower it with just a fork stand?
You don't need a stand at all to lower it... raising it back up is another story.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't need a stand at all to lower it... raising it back up is another story.
Could you explain how I would go about doing it then? I have a rear stand and front fork stand to work with. I actually had thought about lowering the front a few mm just because I wanted to change its stance on the street, but knowing how to do it would work for strip or street setups.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts