Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with an 07 gsxr 1k with a graves full tre and pc3. It has been tuned but under normal driving just giving it a little gas then getting of the throttleit will shoot several series of flames. What could be causing this

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
sounds like either timing or fuel/air ratio issue.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My friends 07 gsxr 1k has a slip on and nothing else, his shoots out flames on decel as well. I'm used to seeing a few little pops, but his will shoot fireballs out of it everytime you decel. Scares the shit out of me when we are riding. Sometimes will pop extremely loud. I make it up to him by running a straight pipe off my muzzy system and flying by his side at 10k rpm's :thefinger

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the TRE have anything to do with it? Sorry the first post was kind of jumbled, as I was on my phone. You cannot mess with the timing through the PC can you?

I'm going to also assume that if it were fuel related it would be from being too rich?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
that would be my guess, but i'm no expert.

has he tried using other maps?

about the TRE, i'm not knowledgeable enough on those, but i will be soon enough when i take the time to read up.

i could be totally wrong here but from what i'm reading TRE basically uses either the 4th 5th or 6th gear fuel map for 1st and 2nd so that you have more low end power for city riding. though i'm not sure how it works when you're on some twistys or the highway. do you disable it? :dunno: so maybe he could change the fuel map that it's using for lower gears? or maybe try disabling just to see if it stops backfiring?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not a terribly big deal, I doubt that he would want to change the map since with it he made 173 I believe. We have just been trying to figure out what may cause it because its actually kinda cool lol. These are not your little typical puff flames these are a nice foot and two foot flames lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My bike shoots some two foot flames sometimes too. I think it's cool, I dont think it's anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Shooting out the flames = too much fuel or unburnt fuel. Looks cool but is definitely related to the mapping. Block off Plates for our Kawi's help reduce it. Leaving it will just shorten the life of your sound packing of your pipes/mufflers. And possibly burn somebody...eheh

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Its not a terribly big deal, I doubt that he would want to change the map since with it he made 173 I believe. We have just been trying to figure out what may cause it because its actually kinda cool lol. These are not your little typical puff flames these are a nice foot and two foot flames lol.
i also think it would be related to the TRE. it would be simple for him just to disable it and see if that remedies the problem, that way you at least know what's causing it, but hey obviously you aren't too concerned about it, which makes me wonder why you even created this thread.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Running rich. Let me guess, slip-on, no aftermarket ignition/fuel management mods like power commander/fast card?

Mines pretty much stock w/ an Area P slip-on, and it pops a moderate amount on decel and sometimes during accelerating when I shift if I'm really on it. I thought a high-flow air filter might lean it out a bit, and I think it has, but only a little. I still get some pretty good smacks when I chop the throttle.

·
Banned
480 Posts
well I have a Power commander, its got the right map running on it for the exhaust and filter I am using. but, it just pops blue flames, nothing at all big, but enough to see

·
Registered
448 Posts
i have a tre and a two brother exhaust on my 06 zx10 and a pc3,mine was backfiring an dshooting flames out of it and i had it mapped and it took care of my problem,did they not do something right when they mapped it

·
Registered
586 Posts
A little unburned fuel igniting in the can is a bonus if you ask me. Drock says my bike does it frequently, possibly more so since I shortened my can...

Shooting fire out of the exhaust FTMFW!!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My bike does it. It used to shoot out huge orange 2' flames before...but that was with a crappy map. Now that i have a good map, it just does a blue flash flame mostly at hight RPM Decel . Apparently it looks cool. I dont get to see it though

·
Registered
41 Posts
Plug your Fresh Air Injection hose into your crank case breather hose and then, plug where those two hose ends terminated into the air box. No more fresh air injected into the exhaust will stop the flames (no more fun visuals though) and the throttle response will be a little bit better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts