Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the forum so I would like to say hello.
I have an 05 and I am on my 2nd 10R. I purchased my 05 after totalling my 04. Wow what a bike these things are. After I wrecked my 04 I really didn't even consider any other type of bike besides the 10R...it's an automatic decision for me. After getting my new bike broken in I started to notice that it back fires significantly more than my old bike. The most noticable is at higher rpm's when your on and off the gas. Does anyone know if this is normal. I have a Yoshimura slip on and a just installed a PCIII to correct it but it still does it. I should also note that my new bike lacks power that my 04 had. If any one has suggestions I would appreciate any input. I also must say that I did the 600 mile service myself and didn't do anything other than re-torque all my nuts and bolts and change my oil...did I maybe miss something? Thanks again for any input and I look forward to being a member!

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Or you could try some block off plates.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Well, to add to that, if the pair (or KLEEN or w/e Kawi calls them) valves are not blocked off, not only is air leaking into the exhaust, it is being injected!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I had the Kleen system removed and did not install block-off plates and I do not have any backfiring. If you removed the Kleen sys, that should've taken care of the backfire, if you haven't remove it. If already removed, check for leaks.

I also disconnected the butterfly valve, don't think that has anything to do with backfiring, but my bike use to backfire a lot before I got a custom map and did the other things I mention above and it hasn't backfired once since.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have a Yoshi slip on, backfires occasionally. If i remember correctly it was said on here that it doesn't do any harm and the only real way to get rid of it is with the pair mod...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
AtomAnt said:
no backfiing now,,, never did,,,, but we'll see after all my mods this weekend,,, cross your fingers
It backfires... You just cant hear it with a stock Can with the Cat in it. Wait till you Put on your full System. FWIW Im gonna go ahead and get the block off plates.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. I have a dyno tune appointment in a few weeks to get a custom map, hopefully that clears it up. As far as this "kleen system", I'm not familiar with that at all. Do you guys recommend removing it or do you think it just couldn't be sealing properly. Also, will the backfiring cause any damage to my bike or could it lead to the power loss I'm experiencing. Power loss is minimal, but noticable. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
if the power loss is minimal but still noticeable i would get that cleaned up before too long or run 0 map on the PCIII until you get the custom map....as for the KLEEN MOD, you can get it from dan kyle (it is cheap), they are on top of the valve covers in front of the carbs. I would remove them before you get you bike dyno tuned seeing that you usually cap them off when dynoing your bike anyway. The Kleen valves pump fresh air into the exhaust to cool exhaust temp and help burn unused gases....

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Ivan also makes the block off plates. But removing the KLEEN system won't do away with all of the backfiring. It will reduce it, but nothin you do will make it go away totally.
Moto GP bikes do the same thing on decel so just tell yourself your bike is like a Moto GP bike.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
phastone said:
Moto GP bikes do the same thing on decel so just tell yourself your bike is like a Moto GP bike.
go away!!!! ... thats my game!!!.... only I ride the moto-gp bike on the street!!!....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Something definitely made it completely go away on my bike. I had the Kleen removed but didn't install the block-off plates, mayb not installing block-off plates will do it.

BTW, I got 161.2 & 79.9 on the dyno, no power loss there... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have an 04 with RS3 and PCIII...mine does not do that...get a better map. Your bike should be as quick or quicker than the one you wrecked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts