Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this bad boy for small track duty. 2018 Ninja400R

Ive ridden it twice, a commute and a trip into the twisties.

I can say that, as light and nimble as it is, the Power is pretty good for a lil bike (52rwhp) Its a fine commuter (52 mpg) but lacks the power I expect for a street bike. In the hills its nimble, comfortable and easy to ride, and more likely to keep your license as it tops out at about 110mph.

Stock, the bike is a bit lacking (my wife has one too in KRT colors). Springs are soft, brakes are soft, etc.

Mine has the following:
K-tech fork inserts, K-tech shock, Braketech rotor, full Spark exhaust, ECU flash, quickshifter, Airbox mod, Bonamici case covers, Graves tail tidy, Corsa windscreen.

Full report after the 29th when I'll break it in at Buttonwillow.

D

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On Monday I had the opportunity to abuse the little Ninja 400R on the Buttonwillow race way in California.
The configuration was #14 Clockwise, without the bus stop.

Its a fairly technical track with a long sweeper (Riverside) made even longer with the long straight from Wheelie Hill. (You can find the track maps at Buttonwillows web page)

This was only my second time at BW, and my first time in this configuration, and my first time on the Ninja 400R.

Aside from the long straight, BW is great for a little bike. Very little brakes are needed, and its pretty easy to keep up with 600s and even some liter bikes, as youre still accelerating on the 400 while they enter their braking zone!

Anyway, I had a great time, shifting a lot more gears than on my ZX10RR.

On video I was able to turn a 2:06 on the 400, while the ZX10 was putting down 2:00 and better.
The Ninja tops out at about 115 with a good drive out out Wheelie hill, rolling off just a bit around Riverside and carrying 85-90mph or more into Pil hill. I saw over 165 on the ZX10RR.

It was real easy to make ground on other bikes entering corners, but left a bit on exit.
The beauty of the 400 is you can pin the throttle on corner exit and not worry too much about wheel spin.

I even got 4th gear 80mph wheelies over wheelie hill! I was giggling.
Bike was super easy to ride fast, comfortable and confidence inspiring.
Bars give lots of leverage, and the bike is so light, its easy to toss around.

I was dragging both knees by the second session, and hanging with C and B group 600 riders really quickly.

I had no mechanical issues, but it does suck down the fuel when at redline for a full session or two.

I dragged my toes a few times, but adapting body position alleviated that, Stock Rearsets being the single limiting factor. Id add risers if I was to race it. Quick note: Bike was in full on street trim with lights, signals license plate and all. Ride to the track, race, ride it home!

Q3+ tires were excellent, didn't feel the need for anything grippier.

A shift light might be a nice addition so I don't keep the throttle pinned on the rev limiter. LOL

Ive got some video that if there is interest I can upload to youtube and share.

PS: I was only about 6 seconds faster on the ZX10RR

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the opportunity to test ride a yammi 300 at buttonwillow last year. I did NOT like it lol! So much more effort required to keep up! But it sure was fun passing pokie dopes on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts