Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think theyre pretty new, not sure if anyone will have really had a chance.

Avon are not a brand people tend to use or recognise as being 'good' (compared to the others) generally due to the past from what I can gather. These Avon 3Ds have had good write ups over here (UK) so far but people tend to stick to what they know i.e. Pirelli, Michelin etc.

·
Registered
550 Posts
[FONT=&quot]I’ve been using Avon tires for years; started out using the Avon Azaro AV35/36 sport-touring tires, moved on to the AV39/40s Supersport, AV59/60 Viper Supersport, currently riding on the AV61/62 Viper Extremes. In-between the various Avon tires Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin were also used. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In the UK Avon tires are rated fairly well, however; here in the U.S. they are rated so-so depending on the class of tire being used/compared. Check out the following reviews http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/4924/Motorcycle-Article/2009-DOT-Race-Motorcycle-Tire-Shootout.aspx and http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/8285/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Street-Motorcycle-Tire-Comparison.aspx when it comes time to replace the Extremes I’ll more than likely go with the Avon 3D Ultra Supersports or Extremes. With the $50 rebate price wise they’re right in line with other tires in their class. Though I think the best deal going right now is with the Bridgestone Hypersport S20s.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Btw, I have used Avons during track days without any issues; have always offered good grip and feedback. [/FONT]

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been using Avon for years on all my bikes and like them, where I noticed the biggest change was on my 08 FXDWG. The Avons compared to the dunlops made a huge difference in handling. I use them on my sportbikes also and can tell a difference just not as big. I've used quite a few different Avons just haven't used the 3D yet. I'd give them try.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Im really leaning towards the 3D Extremes but Im also considering the BT-003's.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Avon tires ALWAYS get horrible reviews.
Pirelli SC's and Power One's are always ranked up top for a DOT track and street tire. Why get a shit tire if it can be avoided?

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts

There's a LOT of AVON endorsements going on there...gear, bike, track etc. I tend to favor shootouts for unbiased opinions like the one here http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/4926/Motorcycle-Article/Avon-Extreme-VP2-Tire-Comparison.aspx though NOT the 3D I would still expect same results when compared to TOP tires out right now.

Even on this site alone the Brickstones have really impressed, almost changing their nickname. And their price is the best of top list. The GP-A's are getting GREAT reviews on here and mags while the Super Corsa's have 3 compounds and also 2 versions with all having a HEFTY price...most costly of top list. But a GREAT tire. I loved them but cost wasn't practical for me on street but were fantastic on street.
Power Ones are older tire, one compound choice, though STICKY, and kinda outdated but STILL a great all around tire but also pricey in the list. Great street tire too.
Avon just hasn't had a GREAT tire in a long time. A tire for track and street use. They went in direction of the FAT tire for a long time and stopped being competitive in fighting it out with the other top names but I COULD be wrong. Haven't heard enough about the 3D except that they are NEW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts