Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine usually stays between 160 and 180 while riding. Today while riding through town I hit 5 red lights in a row, at the last one my temp was 243!!:eyecrazy: So hot my temp gauge was flashing. I'm even using engine ice. Is this normal? It cooled off as soon as I got going.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am not sure what the norm is but last weekend mine went up to 220 degrees sitting at a stoplight, but it was a very hot day 100+ Degrees. As soon as I started moving again it dropped down to 190 Degrees…

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was reading some other threads on temps. Burping your cooling system? Is that filling it up to the top then bumping it over a few times to circulate the coolant and then adding more?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Mine never gets over 220 at a stop light in 103 weather. As soon as the fan kicks on it goes down to 214 or so. I just have regular old antifreeze. You may need to burp the cooling system. Do a search for how to do that.

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
I don't think mine has ever been over 210. I think that is where the fan comes on....

On my way to work in the mornings (mid 50s) it runs about 150. On the way home (low 70s) it runs about 165...

Hotter days, and it will obviously run hotter. But even in stop and go traffic, I don't think I've ever seen it go over 210. Fan kicks on and cools it to 200 or so... And in 90 degree days with high humidity, I think it stays in the mid 170s even at freeway speeds in 6th gear.

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
jckelsey said:
Sat in construction on a killer day for almost an hour, temp never went over 221.
Sorry but if you let your bike idle for an hour it's time for a new engine:dontknow:

·
Banned
363 Posts
My buddies 10 gets up to almost 240 regularly after cooling fan switch, extra blade fan, engine Ice with a full muzzy and pc3 and dynoed 175 but, he runs really rich. I mean he blows smoke all the time. Mine has pc3, slip on, tre, and map, it ran about 225 to 235 but, after I used Redline's Water Wetter I never get above 214!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
GreenGoblin said:
Mine usually stays between 160 and 180 while riding. Today while riding through town I hit 5 red lights in a row, at the last one my temp was 243!!:eyecrazy: So hot my temp gauge was flashing. I'm even using engine ice. Is this normal? It cooled off as soon as I got going.
That is above normal boss! I would have a good look at it. If its under warranty I would bring it in. These bike are designed to withstand any conditions in this planet I don't care where. It should'nt overheat like that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On my 2006 after gutting the cat, having the entire exhaust coated inside and out(high heat black ceramic), wrapping the cat on top of the coating w/black heat wrap(since it sits a 1/2 inch under the oil pan), I run a 1/2 bottle of water wetter and Amsoil 10/40 my bike runs 140-145 on the highway, 150 on the dyno, 180-195 in traffic. Before the mods I would see 10-15 degrees higher in all situations. Thermal management rules.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
1killer1liter said:
Mine never gets over 220 at a stop light in 103 weather. As soon as the fan kicks on it goes down to 214 or so. I just have regular old antifreeze.

:+1:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
212 at a stop light in Florida heat 90+ degrees.
150 to 180 running, the fan used to come on at 206 now it comes on at 212.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
FAF said:
212 at a stop light in Florida heat 90+ degrees.
150 to 180 running, the fan used to come on at 206 now it comes on at 212.
:+1: I'll get up to 215-220 occassionally.
I've also noticed that on the highway when I'm behind other vehicles it'll run 10 degrees higher compared to when there are no vehicles in front of me. It just goes to show how sensitive the aerodynamics are on these bikes.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
if you're getting over 220 at anytime, theres something wrong. you need to burp your cooling system.

do that my riding your bike and lettin it circulate the water. Then go back and try to top it off.

If that doesn't keep the temp down then theres something else wrong. I've riddin my bike on the track in over 115 temps bangin off the limiter and I've never seen over about 222.

·
Registered
55 Posts
CBRE said:
On my 2006 after gutting the cat, having the entire exhaust coated inside and out(high heat black ceramic), wrapping the cat on top of the coating w/black heat wrap(since it sits a 1/2 inch under the oil pan), I run a 1/2 bottle of water wetter and Amsoil 10/40 my bike runs 140-145 on the highway, 150 on the dyno, 180-195 in traffic. Before the mods I would see 10-15 degrees higher in all situations. Thermal management rules.:mrgreen:
Ditto for me on my 06 CBRE. Take the cat out and it will run cooler. Cat gets very hot and sits right underneath the engine. Might as well light a fire under there with the cat in place.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Watch out for the mixture of water and coolant 50/50 means 50/50. I had an experience with one of our Humvees when the mechanic used straight coolant thinking that it would make the engine run cooler. The outcome was opposite, the engine got hotter for using straight coolant with almost no water.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
My temps are similar to everyone elses. I will be stating the obvious but I have been riding around with no fairings lately and there is not really any difference in the temps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts