Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a thread for those using Power Commander AutoTune.

I am getting ready to install one myself on a Gen 1 so that means EVERY Generation of ZX10Rs has that capability so maybe we need a Thread to share setup. :dontknow:

I will start, what are the settings most of you are using in the software to setup the Autotune and why?

Bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I confused some what this thread is about for those that installed Autotune I will try to make it clearer by a couple of questions to get it started for Gen 1:

1. Did you Install and enable Autotune to just work all the time and call it good?
2. Who had success in hitting all RPMs and AutoTune updating(with no extra monitors such as gear position etc.)?
3. How much time needed to elapse before the Autotune made adjustments I know there is a setting in the software assume that is "On the Fly" setting but was it accurate?
4. DynoJet suggest take it to the Dyno for hitting all RPMs so maybe the same question as #1 did anyone try it on the drag strip and was it fast enough to make adjustment?
5. Who here has tried a before and after Dyno Test using only the Autotune on the road making adjustments?

Thanks,

bloo

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm going sub to this thread. I've got an auto tune waiting to be installed on my 3rd Gen. It's hard finding info on what people have done/tried with their set up.

I wish I could answer your questions Blue but I hope to contribute after the weather breaks around here.

As for me I have a flashed ECU and I'm going to let the auto tune build off of what's been added already and see where that takes me.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going sub to this thread. I've got an auto tune waiting to be installed on my 3rd Gen. It's hard finding info on what people have done/tried with their set up.

I wish I could answer your questions Blue but I hope to contribute after the weather breaks around here.

As for me I have a flashed ECU and I'm going to let the auto tune build off of what's been added already and see where that takes me.
Perfect that's why I created this Thread I suspect many are installing Autotune but really don't know what is happening in all RPMs or still have questions including myself. I haven't installed mine yet because I am doing my research first anyone can install them but what happens "For Real" after you install it. :wink:

I will report my results and findings as well maybe even a dyno tune too and if possible see how it works at the drag strip for adjustments. :thumbsup::eek:ccasion1

Bloo

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is this "autotune" using a wide band? If not how is this system tuning the bike? Just curious. I am interested. I looked into this for the Buells but manufacturers didn't have anything for us. We had narrow band o2's from the factory. So we would data-log using a program called ecmspy or tuner pro. Then come back and run it through Mega log viewer. It would take the logged info and add or subtract numbers in the fuel cells to get the bike to stoich. Then we would burn the adjusted fuel maps into the bike. Once you get a base map locked in you would then focus any free time into throttle positions and rpm's that you felt could be better. Like I said, all this data was done through the information from the nb o2. How does the gen 1 interpret data for us?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I installed a PCV and Auto-Tune on my Gen 3.
Haven't had any issues at all.Put the o2 sensor in my link pipe(de-catted the headers,block off plates),set my fuel/air at 13.7.
Set the Auto-Tune to start making adjustments after the engine temp reaches 50 deg c.
You can hear the idle change when it starts making adjustments.
Added more fuel when opening throttle through the PCV.
I'm at sea level with ever changing temps and air density and the Auto-Tune works like a charm.
I think it's been over a year since i've plugged in my lap top to have a look at anything.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is this "autotune" using a wide band? If not how is this system tuning the bike? Just curious. I am interested. I looked into this for the Buells but manufacturers didn't have anything for us. We had narrow band o2's from the factory. So we would data-log using a program called ecmspy or tuner pro. Then come back and run it through Mega log viewer. It would take the logged info and add or subtract numbers in the fuel cells to get the bike to stoich. Then we would burn the adjusted fuel maps into the bike. Once you get a base map locked in you would then focus any free time into throttle positions and rpm's that you felt could be better. Like I said, all this data was done through the information from the nb o2. How does the gen 1 interpret data for us?
It does use a wide band that you install. It comes with the sensor and weld in bung if you need it. It's a separate box that connects to your power commander and makes fueling adjustments based on what a/f you've set. You then connect it to your laptop and you can see everything it's done/changed, then accept or change anything you liked or didn't like. That's basically autotune in a nut shell lol

I'm hoping a lot people chime in because there is a lot of specifics to it. I'm really curious to see how people have done their set up's.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The auto tuner does not make automatic adjustments. It recommends fuel trim adjustments based on the map you have loaded up in the PCV and sampling the fumes in the pipe for AFR ratio at the throttle position/rpm range it sampled in. You HAVE to manually go into the PCV and accept the adjustments to be effected in your PCV

In order for it to do what it's intended to do you will need to:
1- have a map in the PCV that is right and not way off.
2- know what AFRs you want the auto tuner to adjust to at each throttle position/rpm range.
3- ride it for extended prior of time for the Auto Tuner to get a good sample.
4- review the trims suggested by the auto tuner and either manually modify them (if they seem too wild), reject them all together, or accept the adjustments, at which point adjustments to your PCV map will be made.

To answer Bloo questions:
1- yes, install it and set it to sample after the engine reaches any temp you want.
2- not sure on your first generation 10, but I had adjustments in the high rpm range and wo throttle position no problem. There are settings in the PCV to make it gear dependent. I didn't explore that.
3- you set up when you want it to start sampling to make recommendations
4- ride it better than taking it to the dyno so it gets real time action.
5- I didn't. But my popping on deceleration was dramatically reduced and the bike was running better so I knew it was doing its thing.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hmm???

It's called an "Auto Tuner" but doesn't automatically tune??? Maybe they should rename it to "Tune Recommended" ???? Just my :2cents:! :crackup:

The auto tuner does not make automatic adjustments. It recommends fuel trim adjustments based on the map you have loaded up in the PCV and sampling the fumes in the pipe for AFR ratio at the throttle position/rpm range it sampled in.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's called an "Auto Tuner" but doesn't automatically tune??? Maybe they should rename it to "Tune Recommended" ???? Just my :2cents:! :crackup:
LMAO that's funny but does accurately describe the Bazzaz product but not the PCV.

The PCV does do Auto Tune in real time, unlike the Bazzaz which is "tune recommended lol".

The Bazzaz you later decide to accept the suggested trims or not.

The PCV trims can actually be applied to the map as you ride in real time, so it is auto tune. If you like it you accept the trims later and start over, but it is real time and it is Auto Tune.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The auto tuner does not make automatic adjustments. It recommends fuel trim adjustments based on the map you have loaded up in the PCV and sampling the fumes in the pipe for AFR ratio at the throttle position/rpm range it sampled in. You HAVE to manually go into the PCV and accept the adjustments to be effected in your PCV

In order for it to do what it's intended to do you will need to:
1- have a map in the PCV that is right and not way off.
2- know what AFRs you want the auto tuner to adjust to at each throttle position/rpm range.
3- ride it for extended prior of time for the Auto Tuner to get a good sample.
4- review the trims suggested by the auto tuner and either manually modify them (if they seem too wild), reject them all together, or accept the adjustments, at which point adjustments to your PCV map will be made.

To answer Bloo questions:
1- yes, install it and set it to sample after the engine reaches any temp you want.
2- not sure on your first generation 10, but I had adjustments in the high rpm range and wo throttle position no problem. There are settings in the PCV to make it gear dependent. I didn't explore that.
3- you set up when you want it to start sampling to make recommendations
4- ride it better than taking it to the dyno so it gets real time action.
5- I didn't. But my popping on deceleration was dramatically reduced and the bike was running better so I knew it was doing its thing.
Sorry, but yes the PCV does.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The PCV does do Auto Tune in real time, unlike the Bazzaz.

The Bazzaz you later decide to accept the suggested trims or not.

The PCV trims can actually be applied to the map as you ride, so its auto tune. If you like it you accept the trims later and start over, but it is real time and it is Auto Tune.
How "can" they be applied real time?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Boxtradamus said:
Sorry, but yes the PCV does.
I'm talking from experience. It doesn't automatically apply trims. Now i don't know if it "can" or if there was a seceret setting or a switch needed to go from "can" to "is"....

You know how I know? My bike's runnings would only improve after I accepted the trims.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
This is from www.powercommander.com

"Well, how does it work and what does it do for me?"

We have taken virtually the same technology that our patented Tuning Link dynamometer software (for automated Dyno tuning) uses, along with Bosch Wide Band O2 sensors and miniaturized it to be used on your bike, ATV, or UTV, while you ride.

Once installed, the Auto Tune kit monitors the fuel mixture (by installing the included Wide Band O2 sensor in the exhaust). It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride. Each map that we offer has preset Air/Fuel ratio values included that we find to be the best overall settings. This lets you simply plug in the unit and let it do the work. For Harley Davidson models we ever monitor and adjust each cylinder individually for increased precision as on these models required fueling can vary significantly between the front and rear cylinder.

For advanced users that would like to change the Air/Fuel ratios from our baseline they are fully adjustable. Each throttle opening/rpm combination is individually adjustable, so that you can have both fuel economy, during cruise, while maintaining peak output at larger throttle openings. For most models of bikes it is also possible to adjust the Air/Fuel ratios "per gear". This gives you total control of the fueling in every gear and throttle/rpm area if required.

:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Sure it corrects while you ride.. not while parked in the garage lol. Those corrections *cough* suggestions *cough* however aren't effected until you accept the trims in the PCV.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
:ayyy:

Sure it corrects while you ride.. not while parked in the garage lol. Those corrections *cough* suggestions *cough* however aren't effected until you accept the trims in the PCV.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds good. I am familiar with the process. I have just used different software on different models to achieve the same thing.
A dyno tune doesn't take into account real world driving. This software allows us to data-log in the real world.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that's where the confusion is, to me this is what makes sense how it must work.

• You take the bike for a Ride moderately and it Autotunes to the Autotune table on a ride.
  • Then when you get home if you like the way the bike was running you use the Trim table to accept because it shows the changes made on the ride
  • After you accept the bike now runs on the New table
  • Next ride you hit Max RPM and notice there are new changes available in the Trim Table so you accept those as well.
  • Repeat until you are happy in all Rev. Ranges and Throttle positions

What I plan on doing is after I am happy hook up my Autometer Wideband system and monitor how the A/F for given TPS and compare to the Tables.

Bloo

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think that's where the confusion is, to me this is what makes sense how it must work.

• You take the bike for a Ride moderately and it Autotunes to the Autotune table on a ride.
  • Then when you get home if you like the way the bike was running you use the Trim table to accept because it shows the changes made on the ride
  • After you accept the bike now runs on the New table
  • Next ride you hit Max RPM and notice there are new changes available in the Trim Table so you accept those as well.
  • Repeat until you are happy in all Rev. Ranges and Throttle positions

What I plan on doing is after I am happy hook up my Autometer Wideband system and monitor how the A/F for given TPS and compare to the Tables.

Bloo
:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hopefully we get more Gen 1 owners that have used Autotune because I don't believe we get the Temperature readings with the PCV connections it would have to be done manually(special hook up) which means you wouldn't want the Autotune messing with the bike on warm up.

Bloo

1 - 20 of 85 Posts