Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 zx10, and just installed a full akra race system, the o2 bungs that came on the system are too small so im gonna have to weld one for my auto tune....

Question 1: Do you think the auto tune is really worth being on the bike? is it worth it to go thru the whole process of getting the o2 bung installed?

If you answered yes to Question 1, proceed

Question 2: Where do i weld the o2 sensor? with the arak system it came with bungs in header 2 and 4. Ive heard of installing it in the "collector" would be the best since the Auto tune can tune every thing.

whats your take?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can wait till at most Wednesday I'll let you know what my builder did.
okay i could wait...thing is didnt you say (and i get this from your pms) that you got the evo system? and if i remember correctly the evo system has the correct o2 bungs that will fit?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My LeoVince system had one small port in each primary y-pipe and one wide band bung after the final y-pipe. I think it is worth it. I set mine to start tuning after the temp reaches 120. I had the original target AFR set to 13.2 and now I am trying 13.0. I will probably set it back to 13.2 in a few days. You want it to sample all cylinders so right after the final y-pipe would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I believe the auto tune will take tuning to a new level. Getting actuall road condition afr is gonna give the engines truly what they need combining ram air, gear position and real world engine load conditions.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
For those wanting to use the auto tune to tune your bikes, i would suggest you still put the bike on a dyno and have it tune there first...after the bike is tuned and you have your base map from the dyno session, the auto tune can now fine tune your map to maintain the target a/f that you tell it you want to keep...so as you transition from spring/summer and fall/winter, you should not have to retune as the weather conditions get better or worse...the auto tune will be fine for a road bike that is in steady state alot but you can forget it with a race bike...those things are nowhere near being fast enough to close loop tune in a race atmosphere...we have had to fix quite a few maps after the auto tune was installed after the customer thought the dyno was eliminated from the process..

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a 09 zx10, and just installed a full akra race system, the o2 bungs that came on the system are too small so im gonna have to weld one for my auto tune....

Question 1: Do you think the auto tune is really worth being on the bike? is it worth it to go thru the whole process of getting the o2 bung installed?

Question 2: Where do i weld the o2 sensor? with the arak system it came with bungs in header 2 and 4. Ive heard of installing it in the "collector" would be the best since the Auto tune can tune every thing.

whats your take?

Nice you finally got it I can't wait to see some pics of it or it in person.

·
Registered
272 Posts

whats your take?
I have the Bazzaz with the closed loop system and love it. I remap every day at the track and always have PERFECT air / fuel.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Bazzaz with the closed loop system and love it. I remap every day at the track and always have PERFECT air / fuel.
what type of exhaust do you have?

and did you have to weld an o2 bung in the headers?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the carbon fiber Yosh R77 full system, and yes I did have a bung welded on. I bought a bung and had the local welder do it for like $25. I welded it just rear of the shock, the sniffer is vertical.

I love the Bazzaz. I got the closed loop system, traction control and quick shift option. Consider it if you haven't bought your system yet.

The thing that surprised me the most was how much things change around due to temp / humidity / barometric pressure on any given day. Changes of 4-5 % were common.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the Bazzaz bung I had welded onto my Akrapovic exhaust, as requested.

Low quality cell phone pics, but thats all I had...

Close up

Notice the difference in the welds on mine and the pic. you showed me.

Be careful who you let weld it. Don't ruin a perfectly good mid pipe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts