Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could any Aussie members who flashed there ecu either by themselves or by someone else give me some feedback!as in what they have done!
Traction and power mode on the fly?last traction setting is kept!Im just curious having the Euro gen4 with pcv,O2 optimiser,servo buddy,ARgp2,bmc race and having it dynod with a higher octane fuel my bike has always had no issues with its performance!but of late seeing the extra benefits with flashing my thoughts and concerns with going in and changing oem ecu settings have really started to change!my age is showing here I keep hearing in the back of my mind "if it's not broke don't fix it""you can't teach a dog new tricks".Also not being very confident with computers hinders me purchasing the Woolich kit here in Aus!I hope people understand my needs here because as you get older there is a "fear"of what you don't "understand"!
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
553 Posts
Pete...

Woolich is the way to go...If you get in contract with Justin directly he maybe able to assist you if someone who can install and dyno.
I no race center In Vic does it a.d i think there someone in ACT too.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Baddie for that!JW in QLD has offered to help before so I could go that way!have you dynod with Woolich yet mate?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Personally... In reality you have the unrestricted ecu and have already forked out for the PC and from memory a high end QS? servo buddys etc, You will not really be gaining anything out of buying the woolich stuff, unless you want the extra few things which go with the kit or something in particular, I’d save the coin. jmo

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your honesty!its a decision that keeps me questioning do I or don't I get it flashed!you have a good memory with the qs(Starlane),since my last dyno I have changed to a ARgp2 and BMC race filter but to organise another dyno is the biggest Pia you could imagine!the other way is buy a DJ autotune!understand what do I need to do to fit it up!Im pretty sure someone said that you have to leave the oem O2 sencor in with the optimiser and have another bung welded in for the autotune!if this is true well that's another pia!I don't no I'm confused

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Peterd10R,
I'm in Aus and purchased the Woolich kit pretty much when I got my 2013 10r new. I got the afr and log box at first. Installation involved running two wires up under the tank to one of the ecu plugs and plugging into one of the diagnostics ports under the seat. The afr sensor required wiring up a relay off the batterys pos terminal and splicing into one of the ignition wires which I hooked into one under the seat also. From there once I had the software running I was able to open up the secondary valve a bit more giving a bit more midrange while still having an effective traction control system. I managed to turn off that terrible fuel cut which popped horribly after I had removed the cat and put on a 3/4 exhaust system. I advanced the ignition a smidge at the higher rpm giving me more top end and I tuned the fuel to within 2% of perfect increasing my fuel economy by about 10%. There was other nice things there too that I havent really used, disabled the top speed limiter, allowed power and traction changes without needing to be at 0% throttle, prevented any warning lights from removing exhaust servo etc and used the logging feature to see top speeds, etc.

I recently got the qs add on from woolich which plugged into the old exhaust servo connector and daisyed into the diagnostics port as well, now Im toying with qs cut times against engine speed and rpm. Im super happy with what the little box has been able to do for me rather easily.

If you want any more info, feel free to pm me, Im in melbourne area.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply Zx10!the afr is the autotune yes!did you disable the oem o2 sencor in your exhaust by flashing it?if so did you remove your oem o2 sencor and replace it with Woolich autotune kit?thats the info I need to no with our gen4s!If you disable the o2 sencor by flashing the ecu,do you then disconnect the oem o2 wiring and remove the exhaust sencor!then use Woolich autotune and wiring?this is a question that Im finding it hard to get a answer!let me no if you can help!thanks mate

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes Peter, (sort of)
The Woolich flash stopped the ECU looking for the OEM afr sensor and I disconnected it. The plug is still sitting empty under my tank. The Woolich afr sensor then plugs into a 'decoder' box (about the size of a deck of cards) that is powered from the relay and the output from that is a RS-232 style signal which plugs into the Woolich log box.

The Woolich log box records the afr readings in sync with the engine information it pulls from the ECU when the bike is running and stores it on a micro SD card. You then let the computer software match it all up on your laptop later and then write any new modified values to the ECU ready for the next run.

The downside is you don't get any on-the-fly fuel mixture tweaking, so I've prevented the ECU from changing any values on the fly because it has nothing to read off. I'm not sure if you could run both the OEM sensor and the woolich one at the same time, but honestly I wouldn't want to. To have the fuel mixture so finely tweaked from several sessions of data, the amount of change that will come about from temperature / barometric changes would be so minimal it doesn't worry me in the slightest.

The software isn't perfect, I will still get some odd values from the autotune every now and then, but there is plenty of settings available to cancel the weird stuff out. You don't need to be a computer wiz, but knowing some basic math and combustion engine theory is rather essential to make the most of it.

Happy to provide whatever useful information I can. These forums have saved me more than once and I'm all about contributing to the community.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brilliant!thats the answer I wanted to no and appreciated heaps!Im in Bendigo so not to far from you,take care on the roads mate I think we've lost 22 already so it's either car drivers not paying attention!or some riders get their ambitions mixed up with their abilities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts