Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at becoming a cop..im looking for some info as to how you got to where you were, what you did and so on. right now im in community college looking at going into criminal justice than maybe coast guard for a few years. im 20 and curious how long is police academy, and how hard is it to get a job as an officers? thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
First off, you need to specify where you are doing this. That's because every STATE is DIFFERENT. Don't forget that. I have family in Law Enforcement in multiple states and I know how many variances there are for each state, let alone for each agency. So tell me what city and state you plan to do this in, and I can steer you in the right direction (hopefully, lol).

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
ditto. and good luck in your career, it a very rewarding and frustrating one at the same time. it's a front row seat to life.

First off, you need to specify where you are doing this. That's because every STATE is DIFFERENT. Don't forget that. I have family in Law Enforcement in multiple states and I know how many variances there are for each state, let alone for each agency. So tell me what city and state you plan to do this in, and I can steer you in the right direction (hopefully, lol).

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
by the way...nice avatar :mrgreen:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Im looking at becoming a cop..im looking for some info as to how you got to where you were, what you did and so on. right now im in community college looking at going into criminal justice than maybe coast guard for a few years. im 20 and curious how long is police academy, and how hard is it to get a job as an officers? thanks:thumbsup:

Here is an excerpt from LAPD:

If you are selected for the LAPD, you will be sent to the world famous LAPD Academy for six months of training. Training is rigorous, demanding and exhausting. It is also a rewarding life-changing experience. New officers learn how much they are capable of by succeeding at seemingly impossible challenges, both physical and mental.

Training is free and Officers are paid their full starting salary during training.

Much of the training occurs in the classroom. Officers learn law, human relations, Spanish and report writing. Officers are also trained in tactics, firearms and driving. Physical fitness and self-defense training plays a big part in the Academy. In fact, the physical fitness part of the program is so demanding that recruits are encouraged to start a training regimen before entering the Academy.

The LAPD Police Academy Curriculum:

Academics encompasses arrest and booking procedures, preliminary investigation techniques, radio and communications, report writing, traffic investigation, and traffic enforcement.

Driving includes the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course, which covers defensive driving, pursuit policy, and safe vehicle handling.

Firearms Training includes weapon care and safety, marksmanship, tactical manipulation with the sidearm and shotgun, and chemical agents handling (Police candidates are strongly discouraged from seeking firearms instruction prior to entering the Police Academy. Poor marksmanship habits may be developed that are difficult or impossible to overcome.).

Human Relations includes cultural sensitivity training, sexual harassment issues, media relations, stress management, disability awareness, community relations, tactical communications, hate crimes, missing persons, and domestic violence.

Law covers search and seizure, evidence, laws of arrest, crimes against persons and property, sex crimes, crimes against children, and other general criminal statutes falling under the California Penal Code, Los Angeles Municipal Code, Welfare and Institutions Code, and Federal Laws.

Physical Training builds strength and endurance through physical conditioning while promoting a positive attitude toward a fitness lifestyle. It also encompasses training in physical arrest techniques, controls, and weaponless defense.

Tactics covers patrol techniques and procedures, crimes in progress, building searches, vehicle stops, use of deadly force, and shooting policy.

LAPD Specific Training includes Advanced Tactical Training, Mobile Field Force Tactics, Patrol Ride-Along, Mobile Digital Computer (in-car computer) Training, Alcohol Abuse, Administration of Discipline, Cultural Diversity, K-9 Operations, Air Support Operations, Bomb Squad, Community Policing and Problem Solving, Spanish Language, Civil Liabilities, and Sexual Harassment Training.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
speaking from experience, i would advise you to not get a BA in Criminal Justice, two-year degree is fine. It looks good on apps. And if this is really something you want to do, you're going to have to have patience in the process. it could take you many months, possible years, depending on the need of the department you're looking at. And in WA state the academy is, i believe, 16weeks. But the academy is the easy part.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
go to connecticut, and join the state police, they are looking for help. while you are there you could go to the coast guard academy to get your degree and get into the CG.

connecticut is the top 2nd in the country for state police academys too.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I am goging to start the academy jan 18 for the florida state troopers.The app process took me almost a year and a half.I have no u.s. service backgorund no criminal record an also no traffic tickets.I also have worked as a security guard for 5 years now.It is one of the things that help me get in.More so for the protection of private property which it is worded on the app i think. Good luck with everything man hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
im about 3/4 of the way through the application process for the RI State Police and I have no military, law enforcement or criminal justice background. All I have is a four year degree and the desire to serve my state. The academy here is 26 weeks and is known as a real ball-breaker. I keep my fingers crossed everyday that they will allow me to attend in june 09.

to get an idea of the difficulty of becoming a RI state trp...there were over 2,000 people that took the written entrance exam and when all is said and done 35-45 canidates will be appointed.

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in Lafayette Indiana. But would like a general knowledge cause of a chance of moving out of state..:thumbsup: thanks

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats one of the main things im worried about is being able to get a job once im ready to actually get the job...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been an L.A. County Deputy Sheriff for just over 17 years now and all I gotta say is make sure that not only in your mind that this is what you want to do but also in your heart. I say this because if you make it through the 6 months of academy training then as a L.A. County Deputy you have to work in the County jails for a few years before finally going out to street patrol which is 6 more months of training after which you will see that the types of people you run into either like you or hate you guts.

You'll make simple traffic stops and get the 3rd degree from some guy or gal who thinks they know the law better than you or accuse you of violating their civil rights....etc....etc....etc. And the whole while you have to try to remain professional and fight the urge to just tear his/her head off.

Anyways, college is all fine and dandy but not nessesary for this line of work. If you are like you said, 20 yrs old, you could get started now because you are currently at the minimum starting age for both L.A. County Sheriff's or L.A.P.D. Both are good choices but the Sheriff's Dept. has alot more different job opprotunities than the L.A.P.D. and we are currently making more than they are salary wise.

Anyways, good luck in whatever you decide. Just know that it is a thankless job most of the time which is also boring most of the time interrupted by the occasional moments of sheer physical terror and violence.

Just my

·
Just trolling
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay than if it isnt totally necessary how would i get started in a law enforcement career?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well like many have already posted, the academy is usually 6 months long. At least here in TX MOST, not all, departments are requiring a BA degree....so I honestly woudn't waste my time in an associates. I had no experience when I joined. Obviously the application process is very long, tedious and intimidating. I had to disclose stuff on my app that I was trying to forget I ever did....point is that if you lie, you will look like a douche bag and they won't want you. Everyone makes mistakes in life and some of those mistakes are tolerable. Be honest in the app...I had to go through a lie detector, physiological exam and the obvious physical. The academy is usually pretty tough. I wasn't in good shape when I went in...came out in great shape and now know what my limits are. Good Luck and let me know if u have any more Questions.
:zx_green:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
well if you know where you are moving to or where you would like to start this career make a call to the local stations and ask to speak to someone about recruiting. states websites usually have direct links for recruiting and can give you basic info and qualifications. thats where i would start

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Had countless friends from the Army that were MPs & slipped right into regular state trooper jobs just out of the service. I must say, other than cool light infantry jobs (PoWs & taking building in Iraq & Afghanistan), most people find military police quite boooooring.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yeah also my academy is 7 and 1/2 months for florida troopers.If you want to check out a little bit of what you would be getting into you can always watch THE ACADEMY on HULU.com The show is great and is of the LA Sheriff department i belive only watched a few .

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
Anyways, good luck in whatever you decide. Just know that it is a thankless job most of the time which is also boring most of the time interrupted by the occasional moments of sheer physical terror and violence.

:+1: amen to that

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
im about 3/4 of the way through the application process for the RI State Police and I have no military, law enforcement or criminal justice background. All I have is a four year degree and the desire to serve my state. The academy here is 26 weeks and is known as a real ball-breaker. I keep my fingers crossed everyday that they will allow me to attend in june 09.

to get an idea of the difficulty of becoming a RI state trp...there were over 2,000 people that took the written entrance exam and when all is said and done 35-45 canidates will be appointed.
i heard RI state police are pretty tough

1 - 20 of 27 Posts