Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of these for my '08 track bike. One of the spools snapped off the swingarm, so I wanted to give these a shot. Since they require to be tapped into the swingarm, I took it to my local shop to have them install them and they are saying that they don't want any part of trying to install them since the aluminum on the swingarm is so thin and the bolts have little or nothing to "bite."
Has anyone installed these on a Gen 3 and have any tips or concerns? My Woodcraft Toe Guard (Shark Fin) came with some rivet nut inserts that I wonder if would be needed for these lift mounts.

Any tips?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I bought my swing arm with them installed, so I can't comment on the installation, but those little ramps are heavenly when changing the tire. Attack isn't some shade tree mechanic shop, so any competent machine shop should be able to handle it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,361 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't want to drill holes in my swingarm either. That's way too Shervin-eske for me.

But I do believe they bolt onto the solid cast pieces at the rear of the swingarm. The forward portion and rear portion where the axle goes through are cast aluminum, solid, and then welded to the hollow beams through the center. Make sure that's where these mount up and it shouldn't be an issue drilling and tapping those areas. If its supposed to mount forward of the weldment where the axle is, then I wouldn't touch it. That shark guard mounts in that area, but there's no stress associated with that like there is with these supports.

Sounds like the shop doesn't understand the swingarm construction and how these are installed. But rightfully so, they also don't want the liability. You can eff up the arm if done incorrectly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will likely just have to change the shop I take them to in order to get them installed. These guys just seemed to be a bit too skittish.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Totally shootingfrom the hip, but isnt the end of the swingarm solid alum. I am talking about the end where the axel goes thru I beleive is solid. SHould be no problem drilling and tapping.

And talking from just looking at the pisture, do they even need the drill and tap. Looks like the forward bolt would bolt thru the spool mount position abd the flat part would be under the swingarm for support. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Totally shootingfrom the hip, but isnt the end of the swingarm solid alum. I am talking about the end where the axel goes thru I beleive is solid. SHould be no problem drilling and tapping.

And talking from just looking at the pisture, do they even need the drill and tap. Looks like the forward bolt would bolt thru the spool mount position abd the flat part would be under the swingarm for support. Just a guess.
And if I would have paid attention to OP post, just realized you snapped off the spool mount. :wink:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yea that part is solid not hollow... I have that mod done to my GEN4.. You might want to find a race shop.. The photo below is from this thread http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114582

I just purchased a set of these for my '08 track bike. One of the spools snapped off the swingarm, so I wanted to give these a shot. Since they require to be tapped into the swingarm, I took it to my local shop to have them install them and they are saying that they don't want any part of trying to install them since the aluminum on the swingarm is so thin and the bolts have little or nothing to "bite."
Has anyone installed these on a Gen 3 and have any tips or concerns? My Woodcraft Toe Guard (Shark Fin) came with some rivet nut inserts that I wonder if would be needed for these lift mounts.

Any tips?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I will try to look for a more race-like shop and have them take care of it. I will try to get pics along the way to post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts