Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any paint guys can help.....

Trey

Please look at the picture and tell me what you believe is going on with this paint. This viper blongs to a fellow viper club member. He just bought the car used a few weeks ago. The paint is cracking????

Thanks

Trey & anyone that may help.

Attachments

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
If I had to geuss from what the picture is showing this usually indicates a very heavy application of heavy fill primer applied in rapid coats . This is usually done to hide hail damage or a lot of other heavy damage then the top coats are applied and the car is sold quickly before the cracks have a chance to develop:dontknow: you need to check how many mils of material have been applied

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
treyzx10r said:
If I had to geuss from what the picture is showing this usually indicates a very heavy application of heavy fill primer applied in rapid coats . This is usually done to hide hail damage or a lot of other heavy damage then the top coats are applied and the car is sold quickly before the cracks have a chance to develop:dontknow: you need to check how many mils of material have been applied
Yeah and that is a large area to be spread that thick all over, take off the roof liner and see how badly dented the inside (ceiling) of car is.

I wonder how bad the car is flexing to have it crack the thick bondo in so many places and such long cracks. The cracks kind of look like the panel twisted.

Could be just from thick, rushed bondo curing (shrinking) over time in the heat as Trey said, but it would make me wonder about the frame.

Seems it would have been easy enough for original owner to fix the car correctly with stinger, pins and puller, then hammer and dolly and apply very little filler.
You should be able to get to both sides of roof easy enough. Are viper roofs metal?

Why short cut a high dollar car unless you are hiding something else?

Guess some people just don't care- anything for a quick $$.

I hope it is just a poor panel repair/paint and nothing more serious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts