Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ask the ---> L.E.O.'s Q & A Thread.

I think this thread needed to be started.

As a "former" Military LEO, I still get a lot of questions about this, that and the other. I was a patrol officer and SRT member (SWAT), and I loved to work traffic...the California Vehicle Code was my favorite reading material when sitting down on the throne!

I know that sometimes things happen to us while we are out on the road, either in the cage or on the road rocket...and when someone with a bit more knowledge can "shed some light" on the subject, it helps us all to feel better.

Just know, LEOs cannot give legal advice...they can only express their individual opinions...so don't ruin it by saying: "Well, this one cop on the ZX-10R forums said I could do that!" Just be real...and if you where wrong - accept the fact an pay your dues!

So, all you L.E.O.'s out there, chip in and give your 2 cents when people ask the question...

...now, let's see where this goes!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
An ambulance was going down Parmer ln.(3 lanes 50mph zone) w/ their sirens on at 35 mph taking up the left 2 lanes. There was no traffic ahead of us so after about 2 miles I got tired of going slow and went to pass in the right hand open lane. As soon as I got next to them they honked at me and i put my hands in the air. I continued to pass them going the speed limit and turned on my street shortly after. So what's the fine for that and why would they be taking up 2 lanes?
Thanks for the input.

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible they were working on someone in the back and were keeping the speed down so the EMTs could perform whatever?

I don't know about IN., but in Cali, you can't pass an EV running code 3...regardless of their speed...and you have to stay about 300 feet behind as well if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
In Texas, anyone know what the fine/punishment would be for riding without the M class endorsement assuming all else is legal?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
At least go take the written test and get your permit. It only cost $10 and your new license will show the endorsement but w/ a restriction. I've been pulled over 4 times w/ the restriction and not a single officer said anything about it. I believe the ticket is $250 plus they impound your bike unless the officer is nice and will let a licensed m/c operator come get it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If I get a seat belt ticket in South Carolina, but live in Alabama, whats gonna happen if I don't pay it?
The same thing any money hungry agency will do for any sum of money....they'll send you to collections over it probably being that they have all your information on the citation I am sure:badteeth:

·
Registered
289 Posts
At least go take the written test and get your permit. It only cost $10 and your new license will show the endorsement but w/ a restriction. I've been pulled over 4 times w/ the restriction and not a single officer said anything about it. I believe the ticket is $250 plus they impound your bike unless the officer is nice and will let a licensed m/c operator come get it.
:+1:

Ticket for driving without a license + Impound

The problem there is usually if you don't have the license, you probably don't have the insurance either. And if you don't have full coverage, the police officer isn't going to let your buddy drive away on it. :dontknow:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
whats the statue that was just passed here in florida stating that the vertical tag mount is not illegal any more? I need the print out of this statue cause I just bought a vertical tag mount again and have already gotten pulled for it and gave my only copy to the officer that pulled me over of the updated statue of june 16, 2009 stating that the fix horizontal position has been deleted!!! need help leo's!!! I cant find the update in the florida statues here online!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ahh, Ki, my local Zx-10 brotha. Here's one. Lane Sharing. We all know lane splitting is legal in CA, but on a single lane on the coast hwy here, there are times when traffic is stopped, and it's illegal to ride in the bike lane. But if there's enough room, can I legally ride in between the bike lane and the cars? I was googling this very question a few weeks ago and finally gave up after not finding a clear answer. Obviously it's legal to lane share with another motorcycle, but how about with a car provided there is room and I stay out of the bike lane/shoulder?

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ahh, Ki, my local Zx-10 brotha. Here's one. Lane Sharing. We all know lane splitting is legal in CA, but on a single lane on the coast hwy here, there are times when traffic is stopped, and it's illegal to ride in the bike lane. But if there's enough room, can I legally ride in between the bike lane and the cars? I was googling this very question a few weeks ago and finally gave up after not finding a clear answer. Obviously it's legal to lane share with another motorcycle, but how about with a car provided there is room and I stay out of the bike lane/shoulder?
Well, here's what the Ca. Vehicle Code (CVC) says: "SubSection F" is he one you could use...

21650. Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right
half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the
same direction under the rules governing that movement.
(b) When placing a vehicle in a lawful position for, and when the
vehicle is lawfully making, a left turn.
(c) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under
construction or repair.
(d) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(e) When the roadway is not of sufficient width.
(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to
impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway
adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily
when in a condition permitting safe operation.

(g) This section does not prohibit the operation of bicycles on
any shoulder of a highway, where the operation is not otherwise
prohibited by this code or local ordinance.

*So, I would watch the circumstances...sometimes, passing on the right is legal when the vehicle in front is making a left turn - provided there is no road to the right as well. **Remember...err on the side of what a reasonable and prudent person would say...if there is an ass load of traffic and it's slow moving...you are stuck...and if you decide to fly up the right side, johnny law will get ya! But, if there is a silver hair in front of you cruizing like the local garden slugs, and your right side is safe...then you may pass...BUT- that is on a ONE WAY ROAD. If it were a two lane...one in each direction, you would need to pass on the left when on-comming traffic is clear. Don't get too wrapped up in it. My basic philosophy is - if I have to think twice about whether it is illegal or not..it probably is illegal.

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CA. MC Handbook

This comes straight out of the 2009 CA DMV MC Handbook...

Lane Sharing
Cars and motorcycles each need a full lane to operate safely. Lane sharing is not safe.
Riding between rows of stopped or moving cars in the same lane can leave you vulnerable. A car could turn suddenly or change lanes, a door could open, or a hand could come out of a window. Discourage lane sharing by others. Keep a center position whenever drivers might be tempted to squeeze by you. Drivers are most tempted to do this:

In heavy, bumper-to-bumper traffic.

When they want to pass you.

When you are preparing to turn at an intersection.

When you are moving into an exit lane or leaving a highway.

So, is it illegal? It reads as though it is discouraged and dangerous...so a LEO might write it as reckless driving given special circumstances...or as an unsafe lane change. Maybe an active CA. LEO could shed some more light on this one>????

·
Registered
795 Posts
Seems to me, when I took my Motorcycle Test, lane sharing was not "recommended"...hmm...
I appreciate your response, however, I was referring to having that picture made into a sticker and then affixed to the back of my helmet.

Is there any law making something like it ticketable?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I appreciate your response, however, I was referring to having that picture made into a sticker and then affixed to the back of my helmet.

Is there any law making something like it ticketable?
No. But it might be too small on the back of a helmet, you should make a patch to put on the back of your jacket :lol:

·
Registered
499 Posts
An ambulance was going down Parmer ln.(3 lanes 50mph zone) w/ their sirens on at 35 mph taking up the left 2 lanes. There was no traffic ahead of us so after about 2 miles I got tired of going slow and went to pass in the right hand open lane. As soon as I got next to them they honked at me and i put my hands in the air. I continued to pass them going the speed limit and turned on my street shortly after. So what's the fine for that and why would they be taking up 2 lanes?
Thanks for the input.
Not a LEO but a FF/EMT and only reason why I can think they where doing that is because medics and/or emt where doing CPR and AED. Too many bumps or shakes the AED won't register and won't shock and when you shock you normaly have to stop (depending on whats going on). Passing an Ambo with warning lights and sirens is a bad idea simply because you don't know if they will need to stop or not. You also have to pull over if a prego is about ot have her kid right there. Just FYI whats goign on in the rig

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks for the input.
I'm not a LEO. But I was an EMT and was driving the rigs before I retired from doing EMS work.

First, the reason why we (or some of us meat wagon drivers) take up two lanes is because it has been shown through on the field experience that people tend to get the heck out of our way if the ambulance is straddling two lanes. If we drive in a single lane, I've seen first hand cagers ignore the fact we are running lights and sirens. When I am transporting a patient non-ET, I won't straddle lanes. But when I'm going lights and sirens to the call and to the hospital, I will for the most part straddle lanes.

Now for the passing on an EMS vehicle, it is illegal to do so in my state and in many states for that matter. It doesn't matter how fast we are going, if the lights are going, you have to stay back. I was on a call where I wasn't driving but was riding as the EMT to a medic unit. We were slowing to an intersection to figure out whether the patient was to the left or right on the cross road. We saw the patient to the right. Our driver signaled and started to turn from the middle lane (three lane road.) Some impatient imbecile, decided he didn't want to wait for us and passed us on the right as we were starting our turn onto the cross street. He ended up T-boning our rig. The cascading effect of this person's selfish act was this. He single handed knocked out the one and only medic unit in service in our first due area as the damage rendered the unit in a condition not suitable for operation. Another unit had to be called in to take our call. So not only did he put our unit out of commission but tied up another unit to pick up our call.

The cops arrived and based on the crash scene evidence and eye witness accounts ticketed the driver for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle. While the cop was explaining the ticket, the clueless cager kept arguing he did nothing wrong. The damaged rig was out of commission for about a week for repairs.

This is one of the reasons why you don't pass an emergency vehicle.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts