Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was in elementary school we needed to learn a poem to recite to the class. While my mom and I were visiting with my grandparents she dug out an old book full of poems and below is the one I learned. I'm not sure if she had picked it out or it was one I picked out but regardless it remains one of my favorites.

Around The Corner
By Charles Hanson Towne

Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it, a year is gone.
And I never see my old friend's face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
He knows I like him just as well,
As in the days when I rang his bell.
And he rang mine but we were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men.
Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.
"Tomorrow" I say! "I will call on Jim
Just to show that I'm thinking of him."
But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner, yet miles away,
"Here's a telegram sir,"…. "Jim died today."
And that's what we get, and deserve in the end:
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

I am writing this because I found out last week that one of my best friends from High School committed suicide. He was the type of guy that would be the last person you expected to ever do anything like that. After High School we sort of drifted apart; he joined the National Guard, I got married. I wish I would've made more attempts to keep in better touch with him but that time has passed. His service was yesterday and you could tell how much he was liked by all the people who showed.

I figured I would post the poem/story thinking maybe it might help remind some of you who may have lost touch with an important person in your life that time is truely short and there are so many unexpected things that can happen which make it even shorter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts