Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you may recall, I posted up a few weeks ago about competeing in this grappling tournament. Well, it is almost here. I am heading down to Columbus on Saturday. I will be competeing on Sunday only. This is the no gi grappling. I am starting to get the nerves and butterflies...I want to do well, but I will give it 100% no matter what. If anyone is in the area and wants to stop out, let me know. I know my first division starts fighting at 9am....I will post up the results from this weekend either Sunday night or Monday morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lunitk said:
Good luck man, give em' hell and beat some ass. :eek:ccasion1
After this weekend, I need to get ahold of you about some business opportunities....I will pm you Sunday or Monday about getting you to do some castings for us.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
mach_man_187 said:
After this weekend, I need to get ahold of you about some business opportunities....I will pm you Sunday or Monday about getting you to do some castings for us.....

Hell yeah......I am in Texas this week and next week but I have access to the net so just hit me up and I will see what I can do!!! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well....Today was a long day!! I was supposed to have 2 fights. Super Heavyweight Masters (30-39years old) and Super heavyweight Novice. Well, my oppenent for the Masters division fight never showed, so I was awarded first palce by default....NOT the way I wanted to get a medal.

My second fight was against a pretty good oppenent. He first tried to throw me....however, I have been thrown quite a bit and I got out of that pretty easy....He then tried to shoot for a double leg take down. I sprawled really well and ended up getting on his back. I had control of both arms and had one hook in, but as I moved my right leg to get that in, he rolled me over and assumed side mount. He switched this to mount rather quickly, which caught me off guard. I tried to roll over and duck out, but he caught me at the last moment, and had my back. He ended up getting me in a nice rear naked choke. I defended this for a good 20 seconds, but he ended up submitting me with this....So, I got a first, sort of, and got beat once....Definitely doing this again next year!!!!! All in all it was a great learning experience.
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
mach_man_187 said:
Well....Today was a long day!! I was supposed to have 2 fights. Super Heavyweight Masters (30-39years old) and Super heavyweight Novice. Well, my oppenent for the Masters division fight never showed, so I was awarded first palce by default....NOT the way I wanted to get a medal.

My second fight was against a pretty good oppenent. He first tried to throw me....however, I have been thrown quite a bit and I got out of that pretty easy....He then tried to shoot for a double leg take down. I sprawled really well and ended up getting on his back. I had control of both arms and had one hook in, but as I moved my right leg to get that in, he rolled me over and assumed side mount. He switched this to mount rather quickly, which caught me off guard. I tried to roll over and duck out, but he caught me at the last moment, and had my back. He ended up getting me in a nice rear naked choke. I defended this for a good 20 seconds, but he ended up submitting me with this....So, I got a first, sort of, and got beat once....Definitely doing this again next year!!!!! All in all it was a great learning experience.
props anyway Mach :thumbsup: on a :eek:t: what age is good to start wrestling? My 7yr old soon to be 8 is itching to wrestle because of all the TV stuff. I know like in weight lifting don't start to early but what about wrestling?:dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now would be a good time to start him in some form of martial arts or wrestling. I know most dojo's won't allow participants into Jujitsu until 16 or 18 years of age.

thanks for the props! Not the way I wanted it to go, but that's okay. Got some good experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
bluedevil said:
props anyway Mach :thumbsup: on a :eek:t: what age is good to start wrestling? My 7yr old soon to be 8 is itching to wrestle because of all the TV stuff. I know like in weight lifting don't start to early but what about wrestling?:dontknow:
I have been training my buddies 5 year old for the past month he is gonna be a monster at age 18. I have just been training him on the basics of juijitsu and wrestling. Look around and make sure who ever the trainer is that he has trained kids before. Wrestling would probably be a better start for him saying as there is less chance for him to hurt someone. juijitsu will train him to actually seriously hurt even kill someone wrestling is good for take downs and submission technique. just my 2 cents. also look into kickboxing or boxing. not sure if muay tai would be a good place for an 8 y/o but they do train them young in thailand so you never know. But you know your son and you must know that he will be able to be deciplined cause any form of martial arts needs the trainee to be deciplined. ok i am done ranting

Mach---I feel ya on that reversal to rear naked I have been caught by those as well. I use to fight in the same weight class. Congrats on the medal next time you will get him. One thing I love about that sport is no matter what you can always come back and fight the same guy and the outcome could be different. How was your cardio for the fight? when he had side mount where were your legs? oh and BTW Randy Couture is my boy fucking dominated Tim "slow poke" Silvia.
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
shenanigans said:
I have been training my buddies 5 year old for the past month he is gonna be a monster at age 18. I have just been training him on the basics of juijitsu and wrestling. Look around and make sure who ever the trainer is that he has trained kids before. Wrestling would probably be a better start for him saying as there is less chance for him to hurt someone. juijitsu will train him to actually seriously hurt even kill someone wrestling is good for take downs and submission technique. just my 2 cents. also look into kickboxing or boxing. not sure if muay tai would be a good place for an 8 y/o but they do train them young in thailand so you never know. But you know your son and you must know that he will be able to be deciplined cause any form of martial arts needs the trainee to be deciplined. ok i am done ranting
good info, but what age in school can you start wrestling? I use to weight lift and know how to teach that but not sure when it comes to wrestling, ,my boy first wanted to do some kind of Karate but now wants to wrestle :dontknow: He is a skinny kid but strong and fast as he was the major scorer on his soccer team last year that went undefeated and is taller than most kids his age. He is also the only child and think he needs to let some aggresion out but in a controlled way...just want to get him to do it the right way without getting into trouble.:badteeth:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
bluedevil said:
good info, but what age in school can you start wrestling? I use to weight lift and know how to teach that but not sure when it comes to wrestling, ,my boy first wanted to do some kind of Karate but now wants to wrestle :dontknow: He is a skinny kid but strong and fast as he was the major scorer on his soccer team last year that went undefeated and is taller than most kids his age. He is also the only child and think he needs to let some aggresion out but in a controlled way...just want to get him to do it the right way without getting into trouble.:badteeth:
martial arts is a good way to vent frustrations and angry in a controlled area. I think the first years of actually wrestling compitions is 13 it could be lower or higher not sure though. I know muay tai has it for younger ages. How tall and big will he be as an adult? if he is gonna be skinny and tall I would say take muay tai cause he will be able to use those longer limps to his advantage. just start him off in something that has a controlled environment. wrestling I dont think is good for kids cause a lot of those guys are real cocky and think they are the shit (just my opinion). actually martials arts juijitsu, muay tai, kempo, vale tudo, and others are more stuctured and have a belt system (will make him want to work harder to get to next level). Plus with these forms the instructers are usually better with kids. I would say hold off til junior high or high school for the wrestling part. I wish my parents got me into this sport earlier in my life I love it and it will change your life if you want it to. again this is just my opinion in no way am I a professional or even a black belt. I just have trained in many styles and enjoy the sport and history of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
I will also ask my buddy. joker from tapout crew if he knows of anyone in your area that trains kids and see what he says about starting off an 8 y/o in the sport. What other sports does he play?
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
shenanigans said:
I will also ask my buddy. joker from tapout crew if he knows of anyone in your area that trains kids and see what he says about starting off an 8 y/o in the sport. What other sports does he play?
I want him to play baseball like he did when he was 6yrs old, but he doesn't seem interested anymore..he was really good but that is my dream not his so will let him do what he wants right now and that is Soccer and some kind of wrestling or karate :dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
bluedevil said:
I want him to play baseball like he did when he was 6yrs old, but he doesn't seem interested anymore..he was really good but that is my dream not his so will let him do what he wants right now and that is Soccer and some kind of wrestling or karate :dontknow:
karate is a joke IMO its good for a youngster but then if you really want to get into martial arts your gonna leave karate and go to muay tai or jujitsu or something like that. soccer is a good sport for kids keeps them in shape and great for cordination skills. like I said before just look online for dojo's in your area and talk to the trainers. they will give you some more insight on it than I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shenanigans said:
Mach---I feel ya on that reversal to rear naked I have been caught by those as well. I use to fight in the same weight class. Congrats on the medal next time you will get him. One thing I love about that sport is no matter what you can always come back and fight the same guy and the outcome could be different. How was your cardio for the fight? when he had side mount where were your legs? oh and BTW Randy Couture is my boy fucking dominated Tim "slow poke" Silvia.
Thanks for asking that question, man....I never even thought about it, but yes, I did leave my leg down which allowed an easy pass to mount....DAMN IT....I had been so good about that in training, but I lapsed and did not block him out....I didn't catch that until I just watched the fight again. My cardio was great. I was not winded at all afterwards. Of course it was only about 2.5 minutes, but I felt great after. My knees are so bad that I can not run or jog, but I have been going to the YMCA and walking on the treadmills 3 days a week. When I say walking, I am walking at a VERY quick pace. I usually do about 2 miles or a tad more in 30 minutes. Heart rate is in the mid 140's. When I get the video downloaded to my comp, I would like to send you a copy so you can critique my fight for me. I think it would help to have someone else view it that doesn't know me, but knows the sport. You could find other things that I would miss.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top