Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Are you serious? Really Come on?

3K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Ingjr 
#1 ·
Whats up guys...so i decided to upgrade my suspension being how 1) i weigh 260+ pounds and 2) i wanted to see what it would feel like with springs my weight...

so after much investigating......kawi did an awesome job with the front forks...it was only thousands of a difference between the ohlins and race tech internals for my weight compared to stock ....but the rear shock needed to be stiffened up a lil bit for my big butt:)

so i actually order the race tech spring that mounts up to the actual stock shock...it was only about $130 with labor (putting on the shock)....yes, i did have to remove it from the bike:) wasnt that hard.

anyways...so i picked it up and installed it....totally awesome transformed the bike....the best thing i have done so far to the bike:) makes such a difference

anyways...the shop i brought it 2 i think made an error
on the stock shock there a "dust cover" or a plactic shield that fits around the actual shock and inside the spring....well it wasnt installed when they put the new one on and so my question is....SHOULD I HAVE THE SHOP PUT IT BACK ON? WILL IT RUIN MY SHOCK IN THE LONG RUN OR SHOULD I NOT EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT?

NOTICE NO DUST COVER

DUST COVER INSIDE THE OLD SPRING

THE DUST COVER THAT WASN'T INSTALLED

See less See more
#2 ·
You sure that's a dust cover? Looks like plastic which wouldn't compress.

#3 ·
Never mind I see now, I would personally leave it off. Probably would collect the
same amount of debris on the piston rod with it on. If you want it on replace it with a rubber boot.

#17 ·
Greg at High Velocity...other than this spring thing i would highly recommend them awesome people

id hav them fix it, it bothers you or you wouldnt of posted this, i dont blame you id want it in stock form
your right! looks like im taking it off again lol

Obviously the race tech spring is thicker which will reduce the inside diameter so maybe the plastic piece wont fit now just a thought. Glad your happy with it I plan on adding race tech springs this winter.
dude seriously this is probably one of the best mods i have done it makes such a big difference even that i am a bigger guy i say go for it

Not to mention that they gave you the piece back so it's not like they forgot to put it on and are trying to hide something.
Just call and ask them why they left it off if it makes you feel better. No reason not to.
i wouldnt worry too much about the dust cover.

is there a reason that the lock ring is not against the adjuster ring?
yeah once i installed it i had to measure the sag which means i had to turn and adjust the spring and all that.....figured it would be a lot easier to install with them loose which it was

I even wonder if it was meant to be a dust cover or if it's purpose was to insure that the spring couldn't make noise if it moved on the shock.

Kind of an anti squeak thing.

I mean dust would still get in through the top and be harder to clean off of the rod if it's covered.

Forks deal with it.
actually it connect to the bigger part of the shock so nothing can get in there...no to be a dick but if you look at the cover it fits nicely around the bottom of the shock and the spring gets presses against the bottom part of the cover

"dust" might be the wrong word. how about "road grime cover" or "dirt cover". the shock is a lot more prone to have road stuff flung at it from the rear tire than the forks are.
okay your right a road grime cover:)

#6 ·
my neighbors racetech rear shock for his r1 didnt come with one at all i just went and looked so i wouldnt worry about it but if it bothers you go and have them fix it

#11 ·
Not to mention that they gave you the piece back so it's not like they forgot to put it on and are trying to hide something.
Just call and ask them why they left it off if it makes you feel better. No reason not to.

#12 ·
I tend to think the same. My concerns of not having a dust cover for STREET bikes are:

1) they don't get the cleaning attention underneath that a track bike would, therefore more abrasive debris can accumulate on the rod.

2) Abrasive debris would probably be more common with street operation.

Note that there are some huggers that extend down to the lower fairing which do a better job keeping that area cleaner. The one I got was from Geelong Carbon Craft. A little pricey, even after the AUS$ to US$ converson, but I'm pleased.

#22 ·
Exactly.

Dust cover is a non-issue but the lock ring should be tightened. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I even wonder if it was meant to be a dust cover or if it's purpose was to insure that the spring couldn't make noise if it moved on the shock.

Kind of an anti squeak thing.

I mean dust would still get in through the top and be harder to clean off of the rod if it's covered.

Forks deal with it.

#18 ·
Wow intersting to hear on the ohlins fork internals compared to stock, as i am a bit lighter (250lbs) than you are and can honestly say i found the stock springs way to soft, and could not get a decent run into to corners under the brakes as the bike was bottomed out BIGTIME...and the quality feel from the brakes is a whole other story all together.
But then again depends on riding style and location i am sure.

#23 ·
this is what i got from race techs web site
FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate for Street: 1.018 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: 1.000 kg/mm (stock)
Available FRSP S3827 Series Springs are:

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/Sp...-10R&formuse=form1&SpringType=Fork&bikeid=323

REAR SHOCK SPRING
Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate for Street: 11.33 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 9.1 kg/mm (stock)
Available SRSP S5818 Series Springs are:

now this is a difference that i felt from the rear shock to the stock to the aftermarket and it makes such a difference!

.018 of a difference which probably wont even matter....i choose to due my rear spring and what a freakin difference that was! i high suggest it and for all of you dude who suggest to do suspension as a mod over engine work i totally agree with you....holy shit it makes such a difference

im unsure what kind of bike you have but as for the 08 09 the stock fork internals are pretty damn good IMHO for heavier riders.

I think the OP has a third gen, it has much stiffer front end than the front end of the 04-05, which IMHO were way to soft, even for my 180lb frame.
OP? original poster? what does that stand for? lol but yeah its really stiff for the 3rd gen....the front end that is!

Greg at High Velocity...other than this spring thing i would highly recommend them awesome people

QUOTE]

Glad you took my advice... :thumbsup:
yeah thanks!!! do you have the PC on your blue 08?

i dont have my (dust cover) on my rear shock when i put the racetech spring on my 06......and if you can scrape up the cash dude go with racetech springs in the front too. alot better than stock
yeah i agree but to me its a waste of money.....to not get the front end that much stiffer....

Exactly.

Dust cover is a non-issue but the lock ring should be tightened. :thumbsup:
hahaha i tightened it when i installed it...it was loose just for installation of the springs!

#24 ·
Hey 5-F, did you get this done at the R&S Kawaski down there?

#33 ·
hows the riding after that racetech spring im also 260+ and needed a cheaper option than a totally new shock. do they make them for a 3rd gen as well?

#37 ·
yeah man the race tech spring i got is for the 3rd gen....dude you need to add this to your list of mods and probably make it a priority....i would choose this mod over anything else.....also its not even that bad to remove its only 3 bolts and some creativity...but honestly you should do this its crazy how much difference it makes.....i set my sag to 32mm and that back end is just sticks in a turn....im a lot more confident in my riding now....

#34 ·
That's a big 10-4 5-F Dog. I now live in Phoenix, AZ but lived in Las Cruces,NM from 1978-82. What part of NM do you live? I think there is a paved race track near Deming,NM but I can't remember the name. I just graduated from school as paralegal and now looking for a job in this screwed-up economy! I don't know when I will have a chance to ride to NM anytime soon.

#35 ·
Damn thats what I wanted , Race tech front and a nice spring to stiffen the rear. But a grand later I have a penske twin click shock and while yes the bike handles great I wonder just how much better that penske is than a stock with a spring . I just rode the aprilia rsv4 in the mountains nearly ran off the friggin rode in second gear the thing is so fast and handles like a bank vault on ohlins damn now I want one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.