Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that some of the more knowledgeable members will comment. A lot of advertising $$ is spent trying to sell the power gains of brand "A" over the factory pipe. Yet as I have looked over the threads here I see guys making their own pipes, cutting down perfectly good cans, etc. Are slip ons tuned for a specific bike or are they just produced with the hangers in different places for different bikes? I have a 08 zx-10, and I'm trying to make a decision on what to replace the strange excuse of a can with.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
I am not an expert but I imagine they would have to be bike specific. The bends, pipe length, and diameter can probably vary. If they weren't bike specific then the manufacturers would not go through the trouble of manufacturing different ones for different bikes and I haven't seen any universal slip ons :2cents:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
I have Yoshi. , Akra exhaust (full length & shorties) and made my own for my ZX10..As for gaining or lost of low, mid or high to the "brand name mfg" I can't tell the difference. All I can really say is I LIKE MINE BETTER!!:wink:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
yes and no...any pipe can work with any bike as long as the bends are modified out of the can to align with the headers and mid pipe of the existing hardware...its easier just to buy a pipe for your bike though

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
I bought 2 slip ons for my 08 to dyno test but got stopped by the weather Saturday. Basically they are the same design.

1 has a 2" core, the other a 2.5" core. Short of that and the length of each can, and the diameter of each can, the design is basically the same and probably holds true for most cans.

Why the manufacterers makes such long cans that most everyone cuts down is beyond me. The only advantage to a longer can would be more silencer material. But why that brand would care about the noise? :dontknow:

Basically all cans are the same design with a perforated tube of some size ranging from 2-3' wrapped in some type of silencing fiberglass with an external can over it. The extrnal can being SS, CF or Al. Purely asthetics there as well.

Short of that most slip ons are the same design, less cosmetics.

I dont think slip on designs are all that complex. Now when you get into the collectors and headers, very much so.

Hell there are some 08 owners just taking off their stock can and claiming it isn't much louder and makes more power with just the pre muffler. Heck of a slip on, for them, is no slip on at all.

JJ

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
As far as the power gains go from a slip on I would generally say most of the "known" companies are going to be very similar in gains. If you're expecting large gains go with a full system...generally slip-ons are for sound and looks as opposed to performance gains.

I do know that some of the companies design the exhaust to work for each bike such as Leo Vince, Akra, etc. Mainly most of this is in the bends, etc. as people have stated. If I'm correct it's really not the can giving any power boost so much as it's the actual pipes and the design, etc. involving how free/easy the gases are to flow out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts