Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new hobbie and think I've found it. Where's a good place to start researching? How much money should I spend on a bow set? Is getting a top of the line model pointless? I have $1000 to start with. I'm not planning on hunting just for fun but wont say I never will. I will be going to a sporting store just want some info going in.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
my bow is 25 years old, but PSE is a good company Precission Shooting Equipment.

http://www.pse-archery.com/content/Home.index/445.5.1.1

As with firearms, when target shooting, you want your bow light on the pull... some are as low as 15 pounds after let off... makes it easy to hold and align

hunting you need higher pull weight, 55 to 70 pounds. I know a guy who hunts black bear in Canada with 110 pound pull.

As your pull weight goes up, the diameter of your arrow shaft needs to increase... Now back in my day, the arrows were aluminum tubes, today you can get carbon fiber arrow shafts that are alot stronger (less flexable).

the nice thing about a bow is that it is quiet, you can shoot in your basement in the winter, back yard in the summer.

I can help more in the set up of the bow and what have you.

I use 3 fingers, not a mech release... and I can hit what I aim at.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Archerytalk.com Nuff said. Lol I've been bow hunting for 20 yrs and also competition shooting. It's a pricey sport but lots of fun. A thousand bucks will get you a very nice setup. I'm a bowtech fan myself.

·
Registered
667 Posts
the high $ high speed bows are less forgiving & a bit more difficult to tune

go to a local archery shop that has a range & explain your situation

they should allow you to shoot a few different models

get one with a relatively low draw weight

it will take you a little while to develop the right muscles & you dont want to be straining. you want to focus on form

ask for instruction- best to start out correctly

check out the used bows, guys are always upgrading

they might have a league you can join which might be fun too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts