Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing an arai but dont know about there helmet shapes and the nearrest stocking dealer is 3 hours away. How are you supposed to know which shape to get. I am looking at a quantun 2 which is there best selling helmet. Shoei, hjc, scorpion all fit me about right. Has any one had an rf1000 and a quantum 2 that can compare the shapes or give me any info.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Are you plannin' on goin' to any of the motorcycle shows or meets such as Daytona where the Arai folks will be? I sure wouldn't buy a high dollar helmet without tryin' it on. At the shows they will fit you. They have all the helmets, pads, etc at hand.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have an arai but I bought it due to the fit (Astro race)

Go to a show and see which fits the best for the money that you have.

I tried on AGVs and they just pinched. Dont get one without trying a few on.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
I switched from a Shoei X-11 in a sixe Medium to a small Arai Rx-7 in a small. The Shoei fit well but was loose in some areas like the cheek bones and forehead. The Arai fits much more snug in those areas and just fits me a bit better overall. Not sure if this helps yah. I would really try to try one on if I were you though.

·
Registered
696 Posts
S.ga.rider said:
I am thinking of purchasing an arai but dont know about there helmet shapes and the nearrest stocking dealer is 3 hours away. How are you supposed to know which shape to get. I am looking at a quantun 2 which is there best selling helmet. Shoei, hjc, scorpion all fit me about right. Has any one had an rf1000 and a quantum 2 that can compare the shapes or give me any info.
There is a really good website that reviews different helmets and covers lots of topics about fit here

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/Products.htm

These guys will also answer questions if you email them (they did for me).

I finally went with a Suomy Dragon. It came last week and I love it (thanks Brandon at Superbike Supply!). Suomy is sort of a cross between the fit of the X-11 and Arai Quantum. X-11 is for narrow heads and I guess Arai is mostly for round heads. The Suomys fit really snug on me which I like and the 'no fog' visor and interior comfort are excellent. Wind noise would be my only minor complaint.

BTW, if Shoei fits you really well then Arai will probably not work that well for you. I would definitely try some of these on first if at all possible. When I tried on an Arai it was WAY too round for my noggin. :badteeth:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
swjohnsey said:
Are you plannin' on goin' to any of the motorcycle shows or meets such as Daytona where the Arai folks will be? I sure wouldn't buy a high dollar helmet without tryin' it on. At the shows they will fit you. They have all the helmets, pads, etc at hand.
:+1:

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm done with Arai... I had two that the rubber around the bottom edge came off..

My wife bought me a Suomy for Christmas. Beautiful helmet, fits good, seems like less buffeting. But how the [email protected]$# do you get the shield off? They give you some kind of stupid plastic thing that you need to get the side covers off WTF!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Arai is the best. Pretty much anyone can find a helmet that fits their head. They offer three different helmet shapes along with all the different thicknesses of padding you can get.

1. long oval used to be their Signet helmets but now it's the Profile line

2. intermediate oval is the RX7 models

3. round oval is the Quantum and new AstralX line

And :+1: what the others said about going to a bike/trade show. The Arai rep will measure your head and tell you what head shape you have.

·
Registered
346 Posts
sewman said:
I'm done with Arai... I had two that the rubber around the bottom edge came off..

My wife bought me a Suomy for Christmas. Beautiful helmet, fits good, seems like less buffeting. But how the [email protected]$# do you get the shield off? They give you some kind of stupid plastic thing that you need to get the side covers off WTF!
Same thing happened to mine and my friends arai! i love the helmet but was a bit dissappointed to have any piece fall off such a high price helmet! i like the suomy helmets, i think i will buy one for my next one.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
S.ga.rider said:
Has any one had an rf1000 and a quantum 2 .

Yep me. Owned both, sold the rfk kept the Q2. You cant go wrong with either
though imo & on my head the Q2 just felt better, (soft,plush) super comphy.

Now changing the shield out on any Arai will make you want to shoot your
neighbor :lol: . Take your time & you'll get it. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The rubber came off my Signet GTR as well but Arai fixed it under warranty. There was a program where they would pay shipping both ways.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I lova mY RX7. chin plastic also came off and I was really pissed but here in SA forget about getting it fixed so I sorted it myself which looks pretty good. I found an important factor for me was visibility while tucked behind the fairing. With some helmets I had to like bend my head back real far while tucked to have a good view. With the arai the view at the top is better for me.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
okie said:
Yep me. Owned both, sold the rfk kept the Q2. You cant go wrong with either
though imo & on my head the Q2 just felt better, (soft,plush) super comphy.

Now changing the shield out on any Arai will make you want to shoot your
neighbor :lol: . Take your time & you'll get it. Good luck.
+1 on the shield replacement part...lol Just had my first time trying to change it out and wow it made me feel even dumber than Hill(well of course nuttin can be that dumb but you get the drift). Anyhow the shoei x-11 was so simple to take off the shield. However even though I havent raced with the Arai yet I like it more than the Shoei x-11. Looks a feels like it has a bit more quality.

·
Registered
696 Posts
sewman said:

:+1: If you figure out how that little plastic gizmo works let me know! I like the default shield just fine but it might be nice to have some options.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe the only shows around are in atl and thats a 3 hour ride. There is not much of anything mc related thats not atleast an hour drive.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts