Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I had heard great things about this helmet so I figured I would take the plunge. I was mainly going for the airflow that it supposedly supplies, because here in Ottawa the summers are rediculously hot and humid. Can't really test this supposedly awesome ventilation for another few months, but I can say that I am absolutely floored at how comfortable this helmet is. I have had a few helmets over the years and never found them overly comfortable. Maybe I just never had the right helmet...I don't know, but either way I have a feeling this things is going to be awesome. It was a lot more than I was looking to spend, but if it works out to be as good as I think it is going to be then it will be well worth the extra moulla...

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone who was looking to get a new helmet for this riding season...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have had three Aria's with my Hayden RX7RR4 being my current one and will never own anything other than Arai.

They by far are some of the most comfortable helmets. As long as you can get past their prices they are a good brand to look into.

·
Registered
558 Posts
:+1: I have always gone with Arai, I have had two, the current is an astro race as it is slightly quieter than the RX.

You only have one head so just buy the best.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am on my 3rd Arai.
Had a Freddie Spencer replica I bought in '89, signet I think it was. Wish I had kept it
Just replaced my '02 Quantum Haga replica with my current Corsair Tommygun in black.
I've tried on Suomy, Shoei, KBC, HJC, and Z1R. Nothing is more comfortable than my Arai. I'll never wear anything else.

·
Registered
758 Posts
:thumbsup: I'm on my 2nd Arai (quantum 2) and plan on buying a 3rd one tomorrow (RX-7 Corsair)! I've tried other helmets too like Shoei, Suomy, OGK, and AGV but, Arai is way Lighter and more Comfortable than the others!:mrgreen: Just Ask Nicky!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I read that Arai is the only helmet manufacturer to have 4 different shaped shells. Thus the different models.

I'm holding off this year even though I could use a new one after 3 seasons, but I just don't like the 07 schemes.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Arai... it's like heated/electric winter gear: Once you try them out for a while, you never go back. The RX7 Quantum I have fints better than the Vemar CF helmet I bought a few years ago... even with it's swank padding.

I'm on my second, but I still have my last one as a spare. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Nickelsig229 said:
I read that Arai is the only helmet manufacturer to have 4 different shaped shells. Thus the different models.

I'm holding off this year even though I could use a new one after 3 seasons, but I just don't like the 07 schemes.
arai, as far as i know, if the only company to offer different shapes at all. other companies offer different outer shells, but only arai makes different inners for different shaped heads. i could be wrong. and yes, they are the most comfortable. i use a kbc right now, but i will buy an arai before the summer riding season hits.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nickelsig229 said:

Luckily I'm pretty boring and went for the "Racing Black", so I didn't have your "hold off" problem :) Even though its only plain black, it surprising has a pretty good look to it given the design of the helmet. I think the "air diffuser" thingy on the top the corsair gives it an interesting look...

Cheers

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stalker said:
:+1: I have always gone with Arai, I have had two, the current is an astro race as it is slightly quieter than the RX.

You only have one head so just buy the best.
Yeah, the place I bought it from warned me that the corsair helmet is louder than others, but everything is a tradeoff...I really want the airflow. I always wore ear buds in the past anyway, so the high noise level is not really a concern to me. To my knowledge there is no helmet out there that can/should be worn without ear protection over the long term anyway...

Cheers

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
norcal10 said:
arai, as far as i know, if the only company to offer different shapes at all. other companies offer different outer shells, but only arai makes different inners for different shaped heads. i could be wrong. and yes, they are the most comfortable. i use a kbc right now, but i will buy an arai before the summer riding season hits.
Yeah, its a simple but smart approach I think. News flash...we don't all have heads that are shaped the same. It's kind of surprising that more manufacturers don't do this. Certainly makes a difference. I tried the Quantum and another one in the Arai line and it was a no go for me. To much pressure on the melon, and it became exhausting after about a 1/2 hour of wearing them. Then when I put the corsair on it was like a glove...

This is one thing I really appreciated about buying my helmets from my dealership. They let me take three different helmets home and try them while watching tv for an hour. Pretty good service. I know I could have used their service and then just went and bought it online for cheaper but I just don't have it in me to do that to someone who is providing me excellent service like this.

Cheers

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've had Bell, HJC, Arai, and one other I can't remember at the moment. I've also tried on just about every model form every mfgr looking for a good fit. The Arai is by far the most comfy and best fitting, at least for me. The price is somewhere between ridiculous and ludicrous, but what can you do? I'm ordering a new RX7 for this season to replace my quantum f. Hopefully the noice level won't be too bad, but I don't do much high speed/freeway riding anyway.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
DJL said:
This is one thing I really appreciated about buying my helmets from my dealership. They let me take three different helmets home and try them while watching tv for an hour. Pretty good service. I know I could have used their service and then just went and bought it online for cheaper but I just don't have it in me to do that to someone who is providing me excellent service like this.

Cheers

That is good customer service. And one way to win customer loyalty.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Another faithful customer here. Started with an agv, went to shoei, then bought an arai RX7RRIII(old RX7 Corsair) in '96 and including my dirt helmet I've got 9 or 10 different arais now. The other high end helmets are getting closer to arai as far as quality and comfort goes. The agv ti tech and the suomy spec-1r are both nice helmets and I'm probably going to try one of the ti techs this summer but like others mentioned, between their helmets and customer service arai is the best.

·
Registered
696 Posts
DJL said:

Cheers
I want your dealer to be my dealer! :thumbsup:

When I went looking for my Suomy I knew I would have to try them on first because of their rep for fitting on the small side. I called around and turns out a place I have bought 3 bikes from carried the Suomy line and they had all sizes. I popped down there and they were nice enough to let me try a couple on, but when it came to price they wanted full msrp+tax, no discussion. I just can't do that when I know I can get it for about $250 cheaper online.

Good service is important, but dealers need to at least work with their customers a little when it comes to price if they ever want to sell to me again.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
DJL said:
Man, I had heard great things about this helmet so I figured I would take the plunge. I was mainly going for the airflow that it supposedly supplies, because here in Ottawa the summers are rediculously hot and humid. Can't really test this supposedly awesome ventilation for another few months, but I can say that I am absolutely floored at how comfortable this helmet is. I have had a few helmets over the years and never found them overly comfortable. Maybe I just never had the right helmet...I don't know, but either way I have a feeling this things is going to be awesome. It was a lot more than I was looking to spend, but if it works out to be as good as I think it is going to be then it will be well worth the extra moulla...

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone who was looking to get a new helmet for this riding season...

Cheers
:iamwithst I just got the Arai Tommy Gun Black helmet and love it. I had 2 Shoei X-11's before that and they are nice helmets but not as comfy and well put together as the Arai seems to be.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sonnyboy11 said:
I want your dealer to be my dealer! :thumbsup:

When I went looking for my Suomy I knew I would have to try them on first because of their rep for fitting on the small side. I called around and turns out a place I have bought 3 bikes from carried the Suomy line and they had all sizes. I popped down there and they were nice enough to let me try a couple on, but when it came to price they wanted full msrp+tax, no discussion. I just can't do that when I know I can get it for about $250 cheaper online.

Good service is important, but dealers need to at least work with their customers a little when it comes to price if they ever want to sell to me again.
Yeah, they have been pretty good to me over the years. Bought my 6R from them and now my 10R. Really easy going place... Maybe they wouldn't offer the same service to people coming in cold off the street looking for just a helmet. I doubt they would. Otherwise they would probably likely get a lot of the "try it on here, go to the internet" crowd.

I am with you on the price raping aspect though. Any dealer that is trying to screw people beyond belief on their pricing deserves to be used as a fitting shop. Fortunately with this dealership they gave me a really good deal on the helmet. Infact it was only 7 dollars more than a couple online canadian outfits I checked out just for price checking purposes. My sense over the years has been that they are quite fair. Anytime I checked things out just to make sure they were indeed being fair has always checked out postively. Having said this, they are still a dealership and I will always NOT assume they are being fair. I like to verify :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zx10ragentblack said:
:iamwithst I just got the Arai Tommy Gun Black helmet and love it. I had 2 Shoei X-11's before that and they are nice helmets but not as comfy and well put together as the Arai seems to be.:thumbsup:
Yeah, I tried on a few Shoeis. None of them were quite doing it for me. I have always had Shoeis in the past though and I liked them reasonably well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gpz1100 said:
That is good customer service. And one way to win customer loyalty.
It is excellent, and my impression is that service is the focus of their business model. It seems pretty simple to me. As a human being I know how I like to be treated. I would like to think that if I started my own business I would not forget this :), but in my experience a lot of business owners do forget the importance of service in terms of longrun sustainability.

When I took the Arai Quantum home it took a good 30-40 minutes for me to realize that it wasn't for me. When you are standing in a dealership and trying on helmet after helmet you eventually can't feel your head any more, and cant tell the difference between any of them....the "take it home for a night" approach definitely helps contribute towards a more confident purchase, particularly when you're dropping a small fortune on your roof :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
DJL said:
Yeah, they have been pretty good to me over the years. Bought my 6R from them and now my 10R. Really easy going place... Maybe they wouldn't offer the same service to people coming in cold off the street looking for just a helmet. I doubt they would. Otherwise they would probably likely get a lot of the "try it on here, go to the internet" crowd.

I am with you on the price raping aspect though. Any dealer that is trying to screw people beyond belief on their pricing deserves to be used as a fitting shop. Fortunately with this dealership they gave me a really good deal on the helmet. Infact it was only 7 dollars more than a couple online canadian outfits I checked out just for price checking purposes. My sense over the years has been that they are quite fair. Anytime I checked things out just to make sure they were indeed being fair has always checked out postively. Having said this, they are still a dealership and I will always NOT assume they are being fair. I like to verify :)
The dealers are bad, true, but at least they have bikes to sell so I am assuming the majority of their business comes from walk-ins who buy a new bike and then need to gear up right then and there. Also, dealers (in my area anyway) typically give a parts/accessories discount if you just bought a new bike from them, so there may be a small benefit to doing it that way.

The one that really drives me crazy is the local parts and accessories only shop just around the corner from me. They too are FULL msrp+tax on everything with no leverage and only the odd blow out item. I occasionally get oil from them and small parts, like fuses, but that's about it. Beats me how they even stay in business. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts