Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I need some advice before I attempt installing my APE manual cam chain tensioner. According to some references I found online, when installing the APE cam chain tensioner you should make sure you are at TDC. Can anyone confirm if you have to do this on a 2005 ZX10 and if so how do I do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tensioner.

Muggs; There is no reason to set the bike at TDC when installing the tensioner. Just install the tensioner and turn it in finger tight. Then turn over the engine by hand useing a ratchet on the right side of the crank and turn it in finger tight. Then start the bike and turn it in finger tight. Then tighten the jam nut and make sure it does not turn the tensioner bolt in when you tighten it. As long as you turn the tensioner in with light finger pressure, you will not overtighten it. Mike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muggs; There is no reason to set the bike at TDC when installing the tensioner. Just install the tensioner and turn it in finger tight. Then turn over the engine by hand useing a ratchet on the right side of the crank and turn it in finger tight. Then start the bike and turn it in finger tight. Then tighten the jam nut and make sure it does not turn the tensioner bolt in when you tighten it. As long as you turn the tensioner in with light finger pressure, you will not overtighten it. Mike.
Alright, thanks for the feedback Mike. I'm going out in the garage right now to give this a shot. I'll post back in the next little bit with the results.

Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright,

I removed the stock CCT and replaced it with the APE CCT. Tightened alittle by hand until I started to feel resistance. Once I felt the resistance, I then manually turned the bike over. After doing this I checked the APE CCT and noticed it lost the resistance it previously had. I re-tightened the APE by hand until I started to feel resistance again. Once I got to this point I locked the locking nut and then started the bike.

Result - Bike wasn't sounding like pots and pans but it did have a whinning sound which didn't sound right so I shut it off right away. I figured it might have been to tight so I backed the APE CCT out a little bit and fired her back up.

Presto - no more whine and the bike is alot quieter than it was.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated!!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Alright,

I removed the stock CCT and replaced it with the APE CCT. Tightened alittle by hand until I started to feel resistance. Once I felt the resistance, I then manually turned the bike over. After doing this I checked the APE CCT and noticed it lost the resistance it previously had. I re-tightened the APE by hand until I started to feel resistance again. Once I got to this point I locked the locking nut and then started the bike.

Result - Bike wasn't sounding like pots and pans but it did have a whinning sound which didn't sound right so I shut it off right away. I figured it might have been to tight so I backed the APE CCT out a little bit and fired her back up.

Presto - no more whine and the bike is alot quieter than it was.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated!!

Cheers
if you hear a whine you have the adjuster to tight. you want a slight tick but no whine :mrgreen:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how often should you check the ape once installed?
I was told to re-adjust it with every oil change or if you hear the chain getting loud again. Seems like a pain but for how much quieter my bike is now its worth it :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts