Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going away for school and usually I ride sometimes in winter. I keep my bike in my room, never had to winterize it. Other then a battery tenderizer is there anything else I need to do since its not in a freezing area? There was a recent oil change should I still do that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fuel:
If you are emptying the fuel tank then you are good to go.
If you are keeping fuel in the tank, consider adding some fuel stabilizer.

Oil:
Some people recommend changing the oil before winterizing, some change it after winterizing.
if I were you, I will change it after the winter.

Tires:
Try lifting your bike on rear and front stand, if you do not have stands, make sure to pump the tire pressure to the max and then you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I just add some stabilizer to the full tank of fuel, park it on a rear stand, with about 50psi in the front on a patch of carpet (concrete floor in the garage will cause flat spots if you never move it or leave lower pressure all winter). I don't have a battery tender(izer...lol) - but I start my bike once a month or so, let it warm up enough for the thermostat to open (150* or so), and rev it over 4k a few times to make sure it charges some. Battery keeps on ticking so far *knocks on wood*. I change the oil at the beginning of the season, let the old oil sit all winter.

Honestly, if it's sitting in your room, I would just stabilize the fuel and F the rest. The battery may need a charge come spring, but if it's not freezing the odds of ruining it are low. Also, without the tires being on cold concrete all winter, you're not very likely to have a problem with flat spots. The oil can be changed in spring. I would just stabilize the fuel because cold or not, gas only lasts a couple months before it separates.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If it's gonna be where the temps don't fluctuate too much then some fuel stabilizer is all you really need to do, like ted_garlock said. If it's not gonna be moved for a while or up on stands, I'd raise the air pressure in the tires like TKZX mentioned.

That's all you need to do. However, unless you plan to do some maintenance or mods over the winter it's the last time you'll get to spend quality time with her until the spring so I like to make the most of it. When it's time for hibernation, I do an even more thorough than usual detailing, change the oil/filter(used oil contains acids that are bad for your engine), lube/tighten the chain, stabilize the gas, hook up the battery tender, put them up on stands, and cover 'em up with a soft bedsheet so dust doesn't accumulate so quick.

Then again, my wife has threatened to leave me because I'm in the garage more than the house. :dontknow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts