Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm about to cut down my akra ti and I took the strap off and there are marks from it undernieth that u can't get out. Is there a way to buff that out? It would look pretty ugly with those marks there..has anybody had this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i did know you could cut the ti system down...what are u using to do it? or plan to use

·
Registered
512 Posts
It wasn't ti it is a stainless slipon scorpian. I used a cutoff wheel and just riveted it back together. Its louder and feels like a little more bottom end but it decel pops sometimes. Metal is metal they all can be cut. You can try a hacksaw or go to harborfreight and buy a cheap cutoff tool.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did know you could cut the ti system down...what are u using to do it? or plan to use
I could be wrong about what material it's made out of, it's not the carbon fiver can so I'm not sure I thought the only other kind was ti... And what I plan on using was some cut off wheels for my dremel,I hope that will work. But what my question is,is how do I get the markings off the pipe that are under the strap?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Use a carbon cutting wheel NO MATTER WHAT MATERIAL!! It is the strongest and most forgiving. Also, if you try a dremel it will cause you multiple headaches. And if you are just cutting it down, the marks shouldnt matter, because the strap should mount right back in the same position...At least mine always have when I cut them down...:dontknow:

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use a carbon cutting wheel NO MATTER WHAT MATERIAL!! It is the strongest and most forgiving. Also, if you try a dremel it will cause you multiple headaches. And if you are just cutting it down, the marks shouldnt matter, because the strap should mount right back in the same position...At least mine always have when I cut them down...:dontknow:
Well I'm going off the how to cut down your akra thread by hesaves and he shows cutting it down from the bottom or inlet side of the exhaust so that would move the strap mark down and make it visible but there's gotta be away to remove those markings I know someone on here has a few tricks up there sleave...also you said the dremel will give me headaches,what do you recommend I use?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well I'm going off the how to cut down your akra thread by hesaves and he shows cutting it down from the bottom or inlet side of the exhaust so that would move the strap mark down and make it visible but there's gotta be away to remove those markings I know someone on here has a few tricks up there sleave...also you said the dremel will give me headaches,what do you recommend I use?
A grinder with a cutting wheel attached. The first pipe I used I was stubborn and told my friend that I was going with a dremel instead of cutting wheel and he laughed and threw his cutting wheel in my bag "just in case." I was very grateful for his opinion lol It is just a lot more cutting than it actually seems and IMO it is easier to keep a line when you basically have to make 4 incisions with a cutting wheel, opposed to keeping a line all the way around with the little dremel.

You would just be surprised at the beating the dremel will take.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i can see it being a bitch with the dremel but i dont ave a grinder, and i really dont want to buy one just for this...so you cut your pipes doem from the top or outlet side of the exhaust? I wonder if thats possible with the akra?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I cut down my fmf can drom the bottom (inlet side) and had the same problem with the starp leaving marks on it, and the marks being in a different place when the can was cut. idk how to clean up ti, or whatever material your can is made of, but i painted my can flat black, so that helped hide them.

and as far as cutting it, i agree the dremel would be a pain. i used a chop saw with a metal blade on it, the cut was a little rough but a lot cleaner and straighter than i could have gotten with a dremel or cut off wheel. then just cleaned it up with a file.

oh yeah TI makes a lot of cool white sparks to. haha

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't know about the Akra pipe, If your badge is removable you can do either side. Both cans I have done have had badges secured by rivets, so I just removed them and relocated them. If you can remove the tip of your exhaust you should be able to do it from either side.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I've cut a fair number of cans and you can cut em from either end. I prefer the outlet side because of the situation you're in.
http://www.g*l*o*b*a*l*s*p*o********.com/showthread.php?t=299
read the whole thread, there's a how to. I've used a cutoff saw and grinders. Cutoffs will give you one continuous line if you aren't steady with a grinder, BUT the wheel can walk sideways as you cut down through the metal giving you an out of square cut. Ti will discolor slightly if you get it super hot while cutting and it makes some pretty as spark showers. If you have any questions I'll try to help.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if i cut it from the top (outlet side) do i still have to drill out the rivets on the bottom to get the core out so i can cut that to size? or will everything just come out the one end (top side)?

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
if i cut it from the top (outlet side) do i still have to drill out the rivets on the bottom to get the core out so i can cut that to size? or will everything just come out the one end (top side)?
More than likely. The baffle isn't the same length as the shell, cutting it flush will probably not allow the end cap to go back on. Let's say you pull the shell and the baffle sticks out 3", you cut it flush as you cut the shell, the baffle will now be too short to mate with the outlet/inlet of the cap.

Take it apart, there's really nothing to aftermarket cans (except Micron). Cut the same amount from the baffle as you do from the shell.

Some cans have the baffle either tack welded or screwed to the cap. I haven't done an Akra so I can't say yes or no. Drill the rivets and get after it, you'll be fine. Worse comes to worse you can ship it to me and I'll put it back together for you.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool thanks for all the input man i'll get at it this week ive got school and work so im pretty busy but ill let you know how it goes

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
cool thanks for all the input man i'll get at it this week ive got school and work so im pretty busy but ill let you know how it goes
Take your time. You'll be fine man. Post pics!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
i cut down my carbon fiber akra and i cut it from the outlet side for that very reason, i didn't want the marks to show from the straps. i marked where i wanted it, drilled the rivets out pulled the end cap off, and then cut through the whole thing. you only have to drill the top rivets out. after that just, line up the end cap and tap it back in with like a rubber mallet or something. it wasn't that hard to do, just take your time with it

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i cut down my carbon fiber akra and i cut it from the outlet side for that very reason, i didn't want the marks to show from the straps. i marked where i wanted it, drilled the rivets out pulled the end cap off, and then cut through the whole thing. you only have to drill the top rivets out. after that just, line up the end cap and tap it back in with like a rubber mallet or something. it wasn't that hard to do, just take your time with it
so you cut it straight through? just made the one measurment of how much you wanted it cut down and then cut it straight through? you didnt have to measure the core(baffle) at all?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts