Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see how the Elka rear shock compares to others. (i.e. Ohlins, Penske, etc...) Going on a 2004 ZX10.
Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've ridden a bike with the Elka shock on it. I think it rode pretty nice. Way better than the stock shock. But I couldn't put out for the Elka shock so I just got the Ohlins spring and put that on the stock shock. I'm pretty happy with that.:+1:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
my bud has an elka on his 07 gsxr1000 and loves it. he had a penske first, had so-so results. his elka is much better, he says. i've no personal experince wth it, just going off what he said.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You might want to research getting parts for it if you ever need to rebuild or update it. It doesn't happen often, but it is nice to know how available stuff is. Nothing against Elka since I've heard nothing but good things, and since I work for a dealer I have limited options to look for if I want dealer pricing... but just something to keep in mind.

That's probably why I'd personally go with Ohlins or Penske - lots of established support out there already.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Elka was the first aftermarket shock I have tried on the 10 and it was a night and day differance. I had it ravalved and resprung for my weight and riding style etc. with very good results. Bike hooks up a lot better and is very compliant, had to relearn the bike as my overall rear grip increased (bike before with OEM shock was too stiff and would break traction a lot easier). The guy that did all the work on the suspension for me even preferred Elkas as they were easier to setup and get dialled in. He also thought that Elka and Ohlins were the only rear aftermarket shocks worth installing before you start spending really big money on serious race kit suspension. I would say almost any rear shock though would be a good improvement over stock, just depends how much money you want to spend. Me I picked up an Elka Triple on Ebay for $650 in Austrlalia, they retail here for $1895, so I was very happy with my money spent.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Elka makes lotsa sense for us Canucks since they're locally made. A lot of the amateur racers here (i.e. those who are paying their own way!) are using Elka. Parts availability is obviously not a problem for us ...

for what it's worth I know Jeff Williams who is the rider in this picture: http://www.elkasuspension.com/road/index.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
had a elka 2 way put on my 04. These can be ordered with spring to suit your weight whereas ohlins come with standard spring. There are limitations to the rebound damping but these can only really be found on track and I'm told a re valve can sort this. Overall for the money its hard to find better and I'm happy. Its not easy to deal with over 160 bhp (tuned) with revised gering on a bumpy road. Many of the 04 handling problems are down to the shock. You will not be disapointed!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts