1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
the temp. cover is hilarious. I'm sorry but in a racing there is a faction of a second for the engine to heat up the air. The foam shit or w/e it was I wouldn't trust. Just like that bs shit carol shelby was supporting I forget what it was called.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad I asked, usually when it seems too good to be true it is. Seemed interesting though

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
that looks like the insulation wrap I put in my attic last spring, he keeps talking about cold air and yea during winter my 10 just runs like rocket but unless he is actually cooling the air coming in..your still sucking in hot air during the summer

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
On one of those 'Horsepower' morning shows they once talked about painting a polished alumn. intake manifold with flat black paint to aid in heat dissipation.:dontknow:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
some people are crazy, some people are my dad, he comes up with crazy car stuff sometimes and I just shake my head.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
the temp. cover is hilarious. I'm sorry but in a racing there is a faction of a second for the engine to heat up the air. The foam shit or w/e it was I wouldn't trust. Just like that bs shit carol shelby was supporting I forget what it was called.
You mean Z-Max?

I have a pilot friend that swears by it but I've always been skeptical.
They make it sound pretty believable but I wouldn't try it in a wet clutch so it doesn't really matter.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
some people are crazy, some people are my dad, he comes up with crazy car stuff sometimes and I just shake my head.

Same hear but i keep getting proved wrong either by my dad proving it or I hear the same thing from other peopl that did.... Sometimes the shit they say they used to do is crazy is hell :dontknow:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just buy some adhesive backed insulation from Home Depot... it's the same thing. Or... you could just go down to your local car audio installation shop down on Business 190, or Rancier and get some dynomat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cold air (if this thing actually does cool the air, somehow) will make more power but not even close to the change a full exhaust system makes IMHO.

I think this is one to wait and watch. If you hear people love this mod all over the place, go for it but being the forerunner is often an expensive lesson in what not to do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah I saw these guys at the Long Beach Motorcycle show when I went Dec. 5th 09' at first glance I thought wow, but I walked away from his booth after he gave me the 10 min. sales pitch. Now I live in Palm Springs ca. area, where it easily gets up to 107 to 120 degrees during the day, and I thought to myself the same thing. How is that reflective stuff going to cool the OVEN HEAT oh I mean day time heat that quick so as to force COOL AIR down into my motor??? I said to myself without thinking too much about it.....Na that's not going to work, and moved on. He wanted something like $200.00 to put that stuff on, and you had to send him your airbox too. Plus pay for the shipping both ways.... That guys a pretty inventive scam artist if you ask me.
Kind of saddens me that that is starting to take place at a motorcycle show.

How is it going to cool Hot air that quick and then cold air is going down your intake???
From Hot to Cool in miliseconds?????? Not unless your air box is packed in dry ice, at least in the Hot desert of Palm Springs.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you want that just buy some foilface insulation wrap. It's not going to make the hot air cold but it will repel some of the engine heat from the airbox. Doing this will help keep the inside of the airbox cooler but will not make huge hp gains. You'll also see it on the underside of fuel tanks. Keeping the fuel cool will also help maintain horsepower.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,093 Posts
if you want that just buy some foilface insulation wrap. It's not going to make the hot air cold but it will repel some of the engine heat from the airbox. Doing this will help keep the inside of the airbox cooler but will not make huge hp gains. You'll also see it on the underside of fuel tanks. Keeping the fuel cool will also help maintain horsepower.
:+1:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
sorry but you want hot fuel not cold fuel. gasoline doesn't like to burn only the vapor does. Hot fuel will produce more vapor.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
yea this stuff scares me too doesnt seem to matter with our intakes and the way our bikes are set up

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you want that just buy some foilface insulation wrap. It's not going to make the hot air cold but it will repel some of the engine heat from the airbox. Doing this will help keep the inside of the airbox cooler but will not make huge hp gains. You'll also see it on the underside of fuel tanks. Keeping the fuel cool will also help maintain horsepower.
:+2:

I'm working on a "heat blanket" for the bottom of my airbox.

The underside of the gas tank (at least on my 08) is already insulated.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
sorry but you want hot fuel not cold fuel. gasoline doesn't like to burn only the vapor does. Hot fuel will produce more vapor.
All the race teams are after cold fuel. They are even regulated in the FIA to 10 degrees below ambient temp. I believe.

Of course we aren't running any kind of cold fuel setups. Just trying to keep as much heat out of the airbox and fuel tank as possible.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Cold fuel will help densen the charge going into the cylinder. You also don't want all that fuel vapor being expelled in the tank. You don't want it to come out until it's in the cylinder.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
On the note of heat... I had a teacher when I went to MMI Orlando swear by this stuff http://www.two2cool.com/ he ran it in his dirtbikes he used to race and he said he still could not figure out what it was or how it works but he said actual proof that this stuff works... I've been meaning to try it out, I was thinking about using it on my turbo busa since that thing always it running hot.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
On the note of heat... I had a teacher when I went to MMI Orlando swear by this stuff http://www.two2cool.com/ he ran it in his dirtbikes he used to race and he said he still could not figure out what it was or how it works but he said actual proof that this stuff works... I've been meaning to try it out, I was thinking about using it on my turbo busa since that thing always it running hot.
Interesting going to look into it more

1 - 20 of 23 Posts