Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting- i have a 01 2500hd silverado and looks like i'll be flushing the dex-cool out of that when i get back; i wonder why the cars seem to be affected more than the trucks/suv's...:dontknow:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been known to eat intake/head gaskets for quite some time. I'm not sure if it was implemented without updating the gasket material or if it's just chemistry. The reason GM uses/used it was to uphold their "don't have to open the hood except for oil changes till 100k" goal.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
who would be stupid enough to put that shit in theire bike?lol.I work with that stuff every day.Its not made for bikes.In cars and trucks its fine when youre vehicle doesnt have any coolant leaks.If it does and you add water to the cooling system it ruins the balance of the dexi-cool and it can become corrosive.It can also become mississippi mud clogging youre cooling system from the radiator to the heater core.the intakes leaking on the cars usally the 3.8,3.1,3.4 liter engines are just gaskets that can also leak oil.a good way to see if youre intake gasket is leaking internally is to look in the coolant overflow bottle.if there is any sighns of oily type coolant in it its probably leaking.get the gaskets replaced and flushe the coolant system.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I use Volkswagen G12 coolant in everything I own ... No deposits, no corrosion visible after years.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
who would be stupid enough to put that shit in theire bike?lol.I work with that stuff every day.Its not made for bikes.In cars and trucks its fine when youre vehicle doesnt have any coolant leaks.If it does and you add water to the cooling system it ruins the balance of the dexi-cool and it can become corrosive.It can also become mississippi mud clogging youre cooling system from the radiator to the heater core.the intakes leaking on the cars usally the 3.8,3.1,3.4 liter engines are just gaskets that can also leak oil.a good way to see if youre intake gasket is leaking internally is to look in the coolant overflow bottle.if there is any sighns of oily type coolant in it its probably leaking.get the gaskets replaced and flushe the coolant system.
:+1:
Worked at a GM dealer for over 20 yrs ive seen alot of Vehicles have to b flushed cause of that crap, S10's were the worse they get an air leak yup its over with.lol They even had a process to flush the system cause of that problem then green coolant put back in, but still had some issues even the flush process GM had still didnt clean the entire system! We were replacing radiators & heater cores daily.
Most vehicles if new enough you can flush the Dexcool out & put green in & your good to go.

I RUN GOOD OLE KAWI ALUMACOOL!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i flush coolant at least once a year.. dexcool is rarely used anymore as most coolants are "universal" now. original dex cool was very corrosive stuff. i recommend coolant flushs to all newer gms that havent had that crap pulled out yet..

·
Registered
50 Posts
well- good info- i have to flush mine out anyway b/c my truck's been sitting for the better part of a year and i guess green is better:lol:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
i flush coolant at least once a year.. dexcool is rarely used anymore as most coolants are "universal" now. original dex cool was very corrosive stuff. i recommend coolant flushs to all newer gms that havent had that crap pulled out yet..
OK so the stuff you buy that is labeled Dexcool, namely the Prestone stuff, is proably not the stuff I should be worried about. This is kinda bothering me, I have always been of the school of thought that a all alluminum engine should use the Dexcool, but I am thinking the Prestone stuff is not the same as the bad actual GM Stuff.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i not defending DEX COOL but from what i remember GM requests that it be flushed every 5 years and an acid test done every other year . GM has always been in at the leading edge of technology ,especially when it come to there chemicals .

I read those complains and most of those cars where very old with low mileage . Just like expecting a block of unopened cheese passed date in the refrigerator and expecting to be good .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts