Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a torn ACL in my left knee from hockey,ya i know crazy canucks.i'm going sunday for a MRI to see how bad.from the way it gives out i'ld say surgery is in my future.but the way the hospitals work up here,i figure it will be april or may before i get in.then they say its 8 to 12 weeks for recovery,which will be most of the summer.i dont want to miss the whole riding season,anybody else have this done and try riding?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd say it depends on you. You'll obviously not be able to put a lot of weight on it, but, if it were me, I'd be back in the saddle as soon as the stitches came out and I could put some weight on it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have a ripped PCL that they never rebuilt. There is a HUGE weakness in my left knee. I cannot even kick a soccer ball right. But I ride baby, as much as all the other riders, and I don't stop because of the freedom I get from riding. Ain't no stupid missing pcl gon stop me from rolling, but it sure as hell stops me from going TKD speed kick on some bish.

Just use your right leg for everything, my right leg was like a bazooka after having to hop around on one foot for a while.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If the surgery is done correctly you will be fine.

I tore my right knee's ACL completely in half, tore the medial meniscus, bruised the bone, and sprained the rest of the ligaments and tendons playing soccer one day.

Almost $40,000 later and I am good to go. I went with a cadaver graft for mine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I tore my ACL in football practice in college 3 years ago. Had surgery 2 weeks later, was jogging 2 weeks after surgery. I would say it took 5-6 weeks to get FULL motion back. It all depends on how your body reacts to the surgery, everybody is different. My sports doc said I was one of the quickest to recover! Also depends on your weight, size and age. You will be riding soon after surgery, I wouldnt worry. The only big problem that could happen is a blood clot. A buddy on the football team had one and it was hell but that is a rare occurrance. I was trying to bend my knee as much as i could the day after surgery and was walking on it too, I think that helped some. Hopefully yours goes as smooth as mine, good luck man, its really not all that bad! Hell, look at Wes Welker, hes playing at 100% in like 8 months after surgery!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sorry, to answer your question I could have been riding 3-4 weeks after surgery but it was November so I couldn't ride anyways!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that makes me feel better knowing i wont miss the whole riding season.might be a little slow to heal,i'll be 46 by then and putting on weight since i stopped playing hockey.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just dont take therapy lightly. I did therapy and rehab twice, a lot of the time 3 times a day! That probably helped my recovery time too! Just keep a positive attitude about it and you will be fine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts