Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
OK yes, many people have fitted "KIT" cams onto there ZX10's specific to there Generations, there are many threads on this many mixed results and opinions. To answer your question directly Yes many people have installed KIT cams the results are generally in line with the KIT manual, and the cost depends on whether your buying from Kawasaki, or are buying second hand, or having cams re ground to that speck.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Cams are cheap. Al the other work to do it adds up. Worth a few HP at the extreme top end. In hindsight not really worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Results?

Cost?

Thanks
I have an 04 and installed the 08 intake cam and had ecu flashed. I think I paid 480 for the cam and hav had problems ever since I lost alot of torque and gained very little on top end. Still trying to work out all the kinks

·
Registered
273 Posts
dunno about the older models but in the gen5 isnt the kit cam the same cam that comes in the RR limited edition model standard? maybe im remembering wrong but i thought the RR had a diff cam.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have an 04 and installed the 08 intake cam and had ecu flashed. I think I paid 480 for the cam and hav had problems ever since I lost alot of torque and gained very little on top end. Still trying to work out all the kinks
cam timing off.swap where cams need degreeing.

·
The Pace
7,045 Posts
I can report that when the '13 10r blew a valve, dealer also replaced the cam chain; under warranty. Our bike has two weak features: valves and cam chains. At first dealer admin thought my drive chain was too loose; I asked him to replace the chain and test: same noise so corp replaced the cam chain. Bike had about 70k miles at the time, if I recall.

·
The Pace
7,045 Posts
anyone has tested gen4 with gen5 cams?
Please check with Kawa corp, but watching g5 comments, I suspect the SAME engine is used for both g4 and g5. Meaning, valves and cams are weak on both gens and extended warranty is a must on this bike. Better yet, have a back up bike. Full disclosure, Kawa does fully embrace its warranty. Thank God!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cams are cheap. Al the other work to do it adds up. Worth a few HP at the extreme top end. In hindsight not really worth it.
The race cams I have seen are ~$1200, and the gains are about 20HP (now what I would call cheap, and also more than a few HP)

·
Registered
706 Posts
The race cams I have seen are ~$1200, and the gains are about 20HP (now what I would call cheap, and also more than a few HP)
I've never put a high lift cam in high RPM motorcycle but I've had many upgraded camshafts installed and light head work in cars over the years. I find it fairly hard to believe you can get anything close to 20hp out a kit cam in a ZX10R without doing everything else to the motor at the same time. I can see it happen with a different exhaust manifold and head work but it would inevitably result in a loss of lower RPM power unless it was combined with a displacement increase or higher compression.

20hp would be a 10% increase in power just from a cam. Your source is likely a little optimistic or perhaps biased? I.e they're the ones trying to sell the cam?

·
Registered
734 Posts
As i noted above, the Gen5 kit cams are cheap, about $100 each. They require additional compression. They do NOT come standard in the RR model. They are worth about 5-10 hp up top. No low or mid range help.
i have them. With slip on crested 200hp. Will have a new dyno run next week with the full system and hopefully new velocity stacks. The kits cams dont fit the non RR motor without machining the head, which is why the RR is different. And probly costs more.

·
Registered
734 Posts
There is no "magic" hp button. Most People have no clue to how engines work and make power. Everything is related, thats why ENGINEERS design them.

I can however get you 20 "dyno horsepower" with a special tire. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts