Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, without going into a long discussion.....

My wifes sister was murdered by her husband a little over a year ago. We took their then 8-month old child in with us, and since then have not been able to get any help for him. (aside from WIC, and Medicaid, since he is considered a family of 1, unless we adopt).

Anyway, we asked the SS about survivor benefits, but they said the mom didn't work enough to have any. And I am also wondering, with the father now in prison, does that qualify the child for anything? I heard they will tell you that sometimes, even if you qualify. But that is hearsay.

I'm not looking for any handouts or anything like that, but I am recently unemployed, and things are getting tight. I know if we had let her child go to the state in the first place, they would be paying for his upkeep, so why can't we get anything to help him?

I know I could get a SS lawyer, but that seems like a last resort. Anyone have any experience like this, and If so I can explain the situation a little more then.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
While you were at Social Security office did you ask about Supplemental Security Income (SSI) ? The child is a US citizen with no source of income...

Tell them you want to apply for the benefit for the child...

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While you were at Social Security office did you ask about Supplemental Security Income (SSI) ? The child is a US citizen with no source of income...

Tell them you want to apply for the benefit for the child...
No, we didnt, and of course they did not offer it. Ill look into it, thanks.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Wow. So good to hear you stepping up to help this poor kid. And it doesn't surprise me one bit to hear that the people who NEED the help the most don't ever seem to be able to get anything. If you were on crack you could get hooked up..but trying to raise a child? Nah, you are on your own. I hate this country. I wish the best for ya.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
SO, without going into a long discussion.....

My wifes sister was murdered by her husband a little over a year ago. We took their then 8-month old child in with us, and since then have not been able to get any help for him. (aside from WIC, and Medicaid, since he is considered a family of 1, unless we adopt).

Anyway, we asked the SS about survivor benefits, but they said the mom didn't work enough to have any. And I am also wondering, with the father now in prison, does that qualify the child for anything? I heard they will tell you that sometimes, even if you qualify. But that is hearsay.

I'm not looking for any handouts or anything like that, but I am recently unemployed, and things are getting tight. I know if we had let her child go to the state in the first place, they would be paying for his upkeep, so why can't we get anything to help him?

I know I could get a SS lawyer, but that seems like a last resort. Anyone have any experience like this, and If so I can explain the situation a little more then.
:+1:

big props man, you saved that kid from a life of foster care and crime! good luck

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
that its the biggest pyramid scam i know

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
You NEED to contact and attorney. That system is f-d up!! Get the experience of a good attorney to sort through the BS.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You NEED to contact and attorney. That system is f-d up!! Get the experience of a good attorney to sort through the BS.
I don't know how you are coming on this, but if you are referring to the fact that you did not get any help regarding SSI they are just messing with you...

1. The childs real parents/parent do not have an income
2. Unless you have adopted and thus become parents this means the child (U.S Citizen) needs benefits to support self.
3. he cannot work and support self
4. Go back to Social Security and insist on filing for SSI for the child.
5. Once you file, and if it is denied
a file for a redetermination. This is another check of the situation facts.
b If it is denied again, ask for a hearing before an administrative law judge.

You do not need an attorney (and in all probability the judge will look more kindly on your situation if you do not bring one) bring the child and tell the judge the entire story and the benefits of the child living at home with you..

depending on who you will be dealing with (individuals within the bureacracy) it could be frustrating but hang in there and do it.......

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know how you are coming on this, but if you are referring to the fact that you did not get any help regarding SSI they are just messing with you...

1. The childs real parents/parent do not have an income
2. Unless you have adopted and thus become parents this means the child (U.S Citizen) needs benefits to support self.
3. he cannot work and support self
4. Go back to Social Security and insist on filing for SSI for the child.
5. Once you file, and if it is denied
a file for a redetermination. This is another check of the situation facts.
b If it is denied again, ask for a hearing before an administrative law judge.

You do not need an attorney (and in all probability the judge will look more kindly on your situation if you do not bring one) bring the child and tell the judge the entire story and the benefits of the child living at home with you..

depending on who you will be dealing with (individuals within the bureacracy) it could be frustrating but hang in there and do it.......
DUDE!!!! This is the most help I have gotten in over a year. Been running around in circles pretty much. I mean, we were not at the SS office for 5 minutes, and all they said was, "nope, doesnt qualify", and showed us the door.

We have not adopted, only have legal guardianship, so we saved him from being state cared for.

I don't know anything about the system, and I didnt want to have to get a lawyer, but it seemed like that was the last option.

Again, I cant thank you enough for the help, and Ill let you know how it comes out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your good people

I DONT HAVE ANY HELP FOR YOU BUT WANTED TO SAY iTS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT KEEP MY FAITH IN THE HUMAN RACE PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK FOR ME. KIDS ARE LIKE UNCUT DIAMONDS THE BETTER THEY ARE CUT AND POLISHED THE MORE BEAUTIFUL THEY BECOME
WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK
THANKS

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I DONT HAVE ANY HELP FOR YOU BUT WANTED TO SAY iTS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT KEEP MY FAITH IN THE HUMAN RACE PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK FOR ME. KIDS ARE LIKE UNCUT DIAMONDS THE BETTER THEY ARE CUT AND POLISHED THE MORE BEAUTIFUL THEY BECOME
WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK
THANKS

Thanks man, I appreciate that. We are going back to the SS office on Friday, and hopefully get some more info.

In doing my own research into SSI, it seems the child has to be blind or disabled. But that may apply if the child actually has parents or is adopted, i dunno.

Maybe not having anyone qualifies him as being disabled?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry, for the bad news. But there is no such think as SSI survivor's benefit under Social Security Administration Rules. I would contact the county office were you live and ask them if he is entitle to any county or state benefits. In SSI case the time it would take to see an
administrative Law Judge is around 2 years. If SSA even consider your application for SSI.
But I would contact an Attorney in your state. They are not allowed to charge money without collecting and if they do it must be approved by SSA. I hope it helps.
What you do for that child is priceless. I wish you and your wife the best luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts