Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually do all my own tuning and ecu flashing but I don't have equipment for my 11 zx10 to do the flash to remove early rev limit in 6th.I've built what they call a high gain mod for my hayabusa which just changes the resistance on the gps enough to make the bike see 1n23455 therefore bypassing the early limit in 6th. But it looks like the kawi uses decreasing resistance as the gears go up instead of increasing like suzuki does. Has anyone come up with a solution besides a flash to remove the 6th gear limit?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you have any links to gps mod for the gen 4?not much info online since most just do the flash. I am debating on just adding a 100ohm resistor in line with gps signal wire but that may still see 6th depending on the variance limit in ecu

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I don't know of any links, I just typed what i would do if i needed to get something like that done.

Why would you add another resistor inline if you already said that resistance decreases as the gears go up meaning resistance for gear 5 is lower than gear 6?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure yet just trying to think of ways beside buying all new flashing equipment to override the limiter. I'm under the impression the gen 4 limits 6th gear rpm similar to the gen 2 hayabusa speed limiter. But I'm still looking for a concrete answer on that

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I understand what you want to do an why you want to avoid buying another "all new flashing equipment" but to be honest i think there's so much other to do in the ECU to tune it, your better off spending 300 and buying a woolich log box mate. Seriously it pays you back 10 times over.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes but I just spent a few hundred on hayabusa flashing equipment and I already have a pcv for fuel. All I really wanna do is remove the limiter and up the idle. Hard to justify 400+$just to do that but I'll see

·
Registered
415 Posts
Find used sensor (Gen1 sensor looks similar shape, cost 10 in eBay). Drill epoxy out, add new resistors if damaged in process, rewire 6th.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like from what I've found that regardless of gear once the ecm sees 189mph it kicks in a rev limiter. So have to somehow trick the pcm to see less mph. Can modify the speed pickups but then never have a properly reading speedo

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
It looks like from what I've found that regardless of gear once the ecm sees 189mph it kicks in a rev limiter. So have to somehow trick the pcm to see less mph. Can modify the speed pickups but then never have a properly reading speedo
You're treading up a slippery slope here. The speed for the G4 comes off the rear wheel speed sensor. If you screw around with that, without matching it to the front wheel speed sensor, then the traction control/ABS will be affected. So you'll be spending way more time/money figuring out how to create a matching wheel speed sensor or piggyback electronic unit than you will paying for the flash kit and just checking the box in the software.

Aside from that, the "rev limiter" you mention is a combination of fuel, ignition timing, and secondary throttle plates. They all work in conjunction to limit power for TC use and speed restrictions.

I'm not sure what flash kit you had for the Suzuki or what ECU the Suzuki uses. But if it's a Woolich kit and it is for the Mitsubishi ECU type, then you may be OK reusing the kit with a new harness and BIN file to lower the buy-in cost some. That's worth more of an investigation that trying the circumvent the other stuff.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the boost by Smith interface. I think I'm just gonna buy the kawi interface and do it myself. I work at a shop 10 min from guhl motors but they charge 375$ regardless of what you want done. For that I'll just buy my own

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Garth build something back in the day to get rid of speed limiter on his 4th gen, hell it was even in a magazine, if your google skills are strong you might just find it. I think it was before all these $800 flash kits came out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did actually email him. He just built a speed sensor emulator. Or he said take every other tooth off the sensor ring and it'll read half the speed and never hit the early limiter

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up a second hand guhl ecu. Supposedly just reflashed to euro spec. Only issue is they raised limit by 750 rpms so hopefully there won't be any valve issues

1 - 14 of 14 Posts