Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my MAJOR beefs with the bike is the distance from the base of the tank to the backseat. When accelerating hard, the distance is so far to the buttrest, that I find my self grabbing/pulling on the handlebars to stay on the bike. Wondering if anyone else has fabbed some sort of buttrest to take down the distance from the tank to the backseat. My 99 GSXR 750 had a
14" distance, the '08 ZX10 is around 20". Also wondering if any race tails are made that would remedy this?

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
the 09 6r solo comes with an ass pad, i dont know if that is what your looking for though?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know what you mean. Just too great of a distance. If you slide back to where your butt finally touches your too far back. (Can you say wheelie?) The butt pad on the solo seat isn't much closer. Interesting thought, I think I'll see what I can come up with. Could be a good 6" closer no problem. On the new MX models their using a stepped seat. A raised section about midway back on the seat to keep from sliding around. Might be an option too. :dontknow:

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
On the new MX models their using a stepped seat. A raised section about midway back on the seat to keep from sliding around. Might be an option too. :dontknow:
Thats what I was thinking would be a good idea. I dont seem to move around at all on mine, but its an '04 :dontknow:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I suppose I could research the type of riding gear that I wear. Maybe something that grips the seat more? I currently ride in nylon riding pants. Everytime I accelerate hard I get thrown back, and pulling on the bars like mad, and feel VERY unsettled. It usually ends with me chopping the throttle in a manner that isn't as sooth as I would like, and often I find myself setting the front end down when the bars aren't straight, resulting in anything from a good shimmy, to one time a massive headshake. Which is what finally made me get the steering damper revalved. I was talking to my track buddy who's very fast yesterday and we got on this subject and he mentioned his Ducati 999 racebike, and how we had fabbed a buttrest that kept him from sliding too far back.

I figure I need at least something 4" thick to help. Arghh. I really feel the manufacturers went this way in the name of looks rather than function. It really bums me out.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Yeah man, nylon might be a problem. :dontknow:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know if your looking for a bum(p) stop, but these are precut:
http://www.arracing.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductLineID=505&CatID=173
Auto part Sanding block Cap Wheel Rectangle

These are also precut but come in large and small sizes:
http://tyga-performance.com/site/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=bum+stop&x=11&y=8

Large Size:
Arch Architecture

Small Size:
Automotive exterior Auto part Rectangle

Airtech also has 1/4"-1/2" thick die cut foam seat back pads in wide and narrow sizes:
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/miscpages/foam.htm
Leather

OPP Racing has Superbike Seat Foam Pad. Comes as one sheet - customer trims to size.
http://www.oppracing.com/show_product/736-superbike-seat-foam-pad/
Yoga mat

Function wise it should work. Style and form depends on how creative you can be. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, but the above seat pads aren't nearly thick enough to take away a signifigant portion of the distance between the seat back to the tank. Sux. Yeah, maybe I need to work on some leather pants. Argh.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry, but the above seat pads aren't nearly thick enough to take away a signifigant portion of the distance between the seat back to the tank. Sux. Yeah, maybe I need to work on some leather pants. Argh.
Yeah, I guess 4" is alot to make up. Maybe you should focus more on the seat. You could always take the stock seat to a upholstery shop and have them put one on the seat itself.
Motorcycle racer Superbike racing Vehicle Race track Road racing

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle racer Motorcycling

·
Registered
420 Posts
This might work:

:mrgreen:

ever thought about just using stompgrips on the sides of your tank ?

you'll never slide back in your seat again, period. Take a tour of the pits for a CCS/WERA race weekend...

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
That was another thing besides the front end that I didn't like about the '08-09 10r. Just waay too much space on that front seat! It's like they designed it for refridgerator Perry's stomach to fit in there or somethin? :dontknow: That front seat almost looks like a surfboard or a bananna seat. The '06-07 has a nice little small seat area, for when you get tucked in nice an tight when your up in 150-170mph range! But it's just enough room so you can slide your ass back in the nice little pocket area! I love it!:eek:ccasion1

One of my MAJOR beefs with the bike is the distance from the base of the tank to the backseat. When accelerating hard, the distance is so far to the buttrest, that I find my self grabbing/pulling on the handlebars to stay on the bike. Wondering if anyone else has fabbed some sort of buttrest to take down the distance from the tank to the backseat. My 99 GSXR 750 had a
14" distance, the '08 ZX10 is around 20". Also wondering if any race tails are made that would remedy this?

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts