Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2008 10R runs about 10-15 degrees hotter now with the new slip-on (no CAT) vs. stock pipe.

At a stop light with 100 degree ambient temp, my guage gets up to 221. It used to only get to 209 max.

Is this normal or should I be concerned? Anything I can do to bring it back down?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Do you mean it used to only get to 209 max?

My 05 usually never gets over 210 and I don't think the 08's are much different. I believe some of the GSXRs get up to 220-230ish but I wouldn't worry about your 221 too much.

Sitting still w/ 100 degree day is gonna make any bike get hot...I wouldn't worry about it unless you pass 230 or higher.

You can always change out to a different fan to help with cooling or do the flush and engine ice.

I'd just make sure your fan is kicking on and not worry about it. (Mine comes on around 208-209)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
220ish is what my zx10r's run at with high 80's weather and red light. That's until I did a radiator flush and put in Engine Ice. Now the highest it gets is about 210 that I've seen.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Mine has gotten hot enough for the temp gauge to blink...can't remember at what temp that was though. I shut it off then, but I haven't seen over 120 since.

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,136 Posts
Mine has gotten hot enough for the temp gauge to blink...can't remember at what temp that was though. I shut it off then, but I haven't seen over 120 since.
120??? i dont leave on my bike when i start it up until the bike hits 130.:dontknow: But i think anywhere between 160 and 190 riding and between 200 and 220 while sitting in traffic

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
120??? i dont leave on my bike when i start it up until the bike hits 130.:dontknow: But i think anywhere between 160 and 190 riding and between 200 and 220 while sitting in traffic
Hold on there partner, I am sure like a few members already did a typo that he meant 220.

Now back on topic folsomite you live in the same town as me and I always run into heating problems in the summer but recently replaced my water pump. I thought I cured the heating problem because in April, May time frame the bike ran so Cool but once summer hit the temps came back sitting on a long Red light. I talked to a member here on the phone I drag raced with before(1killer1itter) that moved from Reno to Sacramento where we both live and he said what's up Rick my bike hit 230ish at a Red light....my response was welcome to Sacramento. So it seems many of us are having the same problem with 100deg temps in the Air. I personally am giving up and calling it normal for now as we all are experiencing it this year and are almost in Sept........... and I know my bike will stay cool soon, the main thing make sure you not losing coolant in the Reservoir other than that I wouldn't worry about it. A better fan will not produce or at least for me enough air to bring the temps down in those conditions. I also tried all the special coolants in the past. :badteeth:

bloo

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just concerned me b/c the bike is still relatively new (no license plate yet) and it was a steady max of 205 until I modded it with two brothers slip-on (no CATS). Put a two brothers juice box on today but that didn't bring it down any. I'll keep an eye on it if it exceeds 230.

If you're not doing anything tomorrow night a few of us plan to go up Salmon Falls Rd. Meetup place/time is: East Natoma & Green Valley Rd. turnoff (gas station) 5:45pm; leave at 6pm (http://sacramentocrotchrockets.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5338&st=0&start=0)

-Blake (Folsomite)

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Just concerned me b/c the bike is still relatively new (no license plate yet) and it was a steady max of 205 until I modded it with two brothers slip-on (no CATS). Put a two brothers juice box on today but that didn't bring it down any. I'll keep an eye on it - if it exceeds 230. Thanks for the advice..

-Blake (Folsomite)
That was the time frame my bike Always ran cool in MAJOR HEAT but after a slip-on and many coolant changes, many miles racked up it doesn't stay cold or consistent anymore in the heat. :badteeth:...but the water pump replacement it now acts like from the show room floor in under 90deg weather.

bloo

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You are close, but I wouldn't be too worried about that temperature. I would be more curious though why it started to run hotter after the slip-on... seems like with less back pressure the EGT's would be lower, thus cooler. Unless the slip-on somehow caused the bike to run leaner and hotter.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just concerned me b/c the bike is still relatively new (no license plate yet) and it was a steady max of 205 until I modded it with two brothers slip-on (no CATS). Put a two brothers juice box on today but that didn't bring it down any. I'll keep an eye on it if it exceeds 230.

If you're not doing anything tomorrow night a few of us plan to go up Salmon Falls Rd. Meetup place/time is: East Natoma & Green Valley Rd. turnoff (gas station) 5:45pm; leave at 6pm (http://sacramentocrotchrockets.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5338&st=0&start=0)

-Blake (Folsomite)
You keep saying "no cats" but unless you drilled them out they are still there. Your slip-on did not remove the cats. If the change in temps occured that quick you may want to check to make sure you are not running lean.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are close, but I wouldn't be too worried about that temperature. I would be more curious though why it started to run hotter after the slip-on... seems like with less back pressure the EGT's would be lower, thus cooler. Unless the slip-on somehow caused the bike to run leaner and hotter.
I have heard that, the leaner the hotter. Also heard these slip-ons (no CATS) will run very hot due to a lack of back pressure. I added a two brothers juice box (adds more fuel to the mixture) but still no change in temp (still 220 high vs. 207 stock pipe in hot Calif sun).

I looked at some Yamaha forums and they run even hotter, much hotter, so 220 is probably not that high.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You keep saying "no cats" but unless you drilled them out they are still there. Your slip-on did not remove the cats. If the change in temps occured that quick you may want to check to make sure you are not running lean.
The CATS are gone unless that's the boom box (ugly looking heavy chamber under the bike). It's straight pipe going back like a full exhaust.

My Juice Box is adjustable, so you can add more fuel to the power curve with Plus or Minus push buttons; however, the JB is set from the factory for a stock map to add the right amount of fuel to compensate for leanness of the two brothers slip-on. Maybe I SHOULD add more fuel on the JB and see if it improves. I can always go back to the stock map.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Here in Central Texas we have had our share of 100 degree + days. In traffic the hottest I seen was 210. The fan kicks on and I am usually around 194 -200.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have heard that, the leaner the hotter. Also heard these slip-ons (no CATS) will run very hot due to a lack of back pressure. I added a two brothers juice box (adds more fuel to the mixture) but still no change in temp (still 220 high vs. 207 stock pipe in hot Calif sun).

I looked at some Yamaha forums and they run even hotter, much hotter, so 220 is probably not that high.

you heard wrong, and no its not going to be running lean at idle at least not enough to make the bike run hotter imho.

Better question for you is from dead cold how long does it take for the fans to come on ? and post up the air temp and what temp the fans came on when you try this.

example 95 out, took 10 mins for the fans to come on, and they came on at zyz temp on the gauge.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The CATS are gone unless that's the boom box (ugly looking heavy chamber under the bike). It's straight pipe going back like a full exhaust.

My Juice Box is adjustable, so you can add more fuel to the power curve with Plus or Minus push buttons; however, the JB is set from the factory for a stock map to add the right amount of fuel to compensate for leanness of the two brothers slip-on. Maybe I SHOULD add more fuel on the JB and see if it improves. I can always go back to the stock map.

the cats are located under the bike before the boom box, sounds like yours are still there, the juice box should be set correct for what you have I'd leave it alone unless you have some way to measure the a/f, a few dyno runs would be good for that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you heard wrong, and no its not going to be running lean at idle at least not enough to make the bike run hotter imho.

Better question for you is from dead cold how long does it take for the fans to come on ? and post up the air temp and what temp the fans came on when you try this.

example 95 out, took 10 mins for the fans to come on, and they came on at zyz temp on the gauge.
I'll check this - but when I pulled into my garage I noticed the fan was on when I hit the kill switch. The temp was 214 at that time, so I kept the fan running for about 2-3 minutes before turning the ignition completely off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the cats are located under the bike before the boom box, sounds like yours are still there, the juice box should be set correct for what you have I'd leave it alone unless you have some way to measure the a/f, a few dyno runs would be good for that.
That's what I thought - better not to mess with the juice box. Tomorrow I'll check the radiator and overflow level but it's probably fine - it's still a new bike with about 1,500 miles.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'll check this - but when I pulled into my garage I noticed the fan was on when I hit the kill switch. The temp was 214 at that time, so I kept the fan running for about 2-3 minutes before turning the ignition completely off.
just wondering, do you really think that makes much of a difference with the coolant no longer circulating through the engine?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here in Central Texas we have had our share of 100 degree + days. In traffic the hottest I seen was 210. The fan kicks on and I am usually around 194 -200.
Yep, it's just as hot in Texas, lived there for 2 years. I'll check tomorrow what it reads when the fan comes on. Should be another 100 degree day.

I posted this question on the forum and within minutes had a slew of good advice.. Nice! Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts