Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curios. I had a blast at my first one. Was reading some people's views on the subject and have found there to be quite a few complaints. I'm just very curious to read more about what others dislike about doing track days.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts
Im not sure what there would be to dislike other than maybe something an organizer or track would do wrong. But hey everyone is different and there definitely may be some folks that just don't like it. Ill grab a bucket of popcorn with Red_Comet and see.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
After racing I dislike track days. I guess I take things too seriously and expect people to do the same when on track.
Racing tends to ruin track days.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I can see how ppl that race wouldn't like a track day, I just recently did my first track day in almost 5 years. Although it was a blast to me and I had fun, I was mostly in the way of ppl that were way more serious about it then I was. I finished the day out without pissing anyone off but I'm sure I did annoy a few.

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
I've defiantly been to bad track days, But the same can be said for racing events. Really comes down to the organization and the people your riding with or against.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, a lot of people had said that racing is a million times better than a track day. When do you know that you're at that level? What makes racing that much better than a track day?

·
Registered
229 Posts
For about 4 years I rode with older guys (40-55 yrs old) from North of Philadelphia in Bucks county. They were born and raised in North Bucks county and Pocono area. They rode sport bikes in that area their entire life. Needless to say, if you know the area, there's hundred's of miles of twisties with very few cops. I learned real quick about aggressive street riding. I asked them why they didn't do track days. They all said the same thing. "Why should I go and pay somebody 190 bucks to ride around in circles when we have all these roads up here which or more fun to ride." I'm now out here in AZ (no where near the fun to ride vs. the upper Bucks county/Pocono area). I could see in certain areas it's about the only choice.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
You know, a lot of people had said that racing is a million times better than a track day. When do you know that you're at that level? What makes racing that much better than a track day?
It's more serious, more committed, and more rewarding ... and the process of getting a roadracing license filters out a lot of the idiots, and you don't have to deal with the slower riders until lapping them. There is an argument that track days give you more track time ... but racing is better quality track time.

For about 4 years I rode with older guys (40-55 yrs old) from North of Philadelphia in Bucks county. They were born and raised in North Bucks county and Pocono area. They rode sport bikes in that area their entire life. Needless to say, if you know the area, there's hundred's of miles of twisties with very few cops. I learned real quick about aggressive street riding. I asked them why they didn't do track days. They all said the same thing. "Why should I go and pay somebody 190 bucks to ride around in circles when we have all these roads up here which or more fun to ride." I'm now out here in AZ (no where near the fun to ride vs. the upper Bucks county/Pocono area). I could see in certain areas it's about the only choice.
Different environment. On track there are no cops, no trees to hit, no utility poles to hit, better control of the pavement surface, etc. I like backroads riding, too, but it's different. For example, in 25+ years of street riding, I've never touched a knee down. There is too much uncertainty to do it with confidence. In the carousel at Grand Bend ... 4th gear (FZR400) knee on the ground all the way around, lap after lap. Street riding is more of a scenic tour by comparison - and there's nothing wrong with that - but it's a different type of riding.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,059 Posts

Attachments

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Forgot to answer "When do you know you are at that level". Anyone in the hunt in the fast group at a track day, who is capable of riding smartly and consistently, ought to give regional level roadracing a try. Lap times etc don't tell the whole story; my FZR400 roadrace bike doesn't have the straightaway speed but it is stunningly fun in corners and that's why I keep doing it.

The way you learn how to ride faster, is to ride with faster and better riders. When you run out of those at a track day, it's time to move up.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
I've defiantly been to bad track days, But the same can be said for racing events. Really comes down to the organization and the people your riding with or against.
THIS.

Much of my dislike around track days has come down to the org. running them (and usually around the--lack of--oversight). It is NOT a race.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
For me personally, I'd prefer a nice, wide open track all to myself or at least with very few other riders. That reduces the chance of getting my vehicle scuffed. :mrgreen:

I don't see anything wrong with racing or purely track days. It's just a matter of where you're at with riding and where you want to be. But I agree, it could be a pain for guys who are uber serious to share pavement with guys like me who are just out there to have a good time riding fast and learn a few things along the way. Same goes the other way - I don't really care to be out there with guys or girls who take things so serious, which is why I'd prefer to have the track to myself.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Track days for me are great.... It gives me a chance to help newbies get on and off the track without hurting themselves or others. Gives me time also to practice new techniques.... Also to help street and canyon riders really progress with their skill level is very rewarding. Track days allow you to relax much more, the intensity and mentality is not the same as a race weekend. You choose when to ride, when to sit out. BBQ with friends and such.... Just a good fun time.

Only thing I can see complaints for as far as track days go:
- Bad organizers; separate sessions by skill, rules not being followed, no common sense/track etiquette, veteran track day riders not reaching out to newbies, or vise versa. Some newbies tend to get irritated when people make what they think are close passes, or they get extremely humbled by what they see others do.... Some veterans tend to get irritated when newbies don't hold their line, just a couple of the many examples out there.

Racing is awesome, there is nothing that can compare for intensity and competition, true competition. I heard race pace at a specific track I went to could be about 5-6 seconds faster than a track day pace. I was pushing at a track day and thought "theres no way I will be 4-5 seconds quicker".

Wrong, I went into my first real race and knocked off just over 6 seconds. I like racing, I like track days, hell, I even do my time being a parking lot warrior hanging out with all my buddies.... Theres a time n place for each.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I like track days i can go as fast as i want in with no brain dead cagers to worry about. Racing is a young mans game. Perhaps if they had a formula 60 class i would try it. We have a good track day org here. Making track days fun and safe.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Wouldn't it benefit you though as a racer to do track days? Don't you learn that way?
Nope. We do practice days with other racers which is essentially a track day but with other people that we race against. Find a pro or anorher guy/girl who's a bit faster and learn why.

Doing a track day you get a wide spread of speeds and end up caught behind slower sometimes unpredictable riders every other lap which doesn't help you learn anything.

I've done maybe 4 "track days" since I started racing and got frustrated at every one. I'm not there to socialize and pose and get rid of my chicken strips, I'm trying to work on setup and go fast. Setting up your bike to run 5s a lap slower than race pace doesn't help.

There's nothing wrong with doing track days but they aren't for me anymore.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Wouldn't it benefit you though as a racer to do track days? Don't you learn that way?
No. There is nothing to be learned by riding with people who are braking too early, following incorrect lines, with low cornering speed. There is plenty to lose by coming up on someone in a braking zone on an incorrect line, who suddenly decides that they ought to change direction right in front of me while I'm coming up on them 50 km/h faster and already at max braking. I just barely got through that.

On top of that, my particular race bike has half the power of most bikes at a track day. I cannot pass on a straightaway like they want you to, and then they hold me up in corners. Only way I can overtake is to outbrake (see risk factor above) and stuff 'em on corner entrance. Track day riders don't like that happening to them and organizers don't like seeing it. Their official position is "pull off the track and wait for an opening". Doesn't work if it is a busy track day, it just happens again.

Like dricked, I do very few track days any more. I think I did one last year, and it's likely to be none this year.

If you are in a position to show others the ropes and be a trainer, that's different, but I've only once been granted that opportunity. My name is not Jordan Szoke nor Jodi Christie.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts